Rome's Jewish Quarter

Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome's Jewish Quarter

I want to include this in our upcoming trip to Rome. I've read about good restaurants there, serving different dishes than are found elsewhere in the city. The history sounds interesting, too.

But where IS the Jewish Quarter? I can't find any indicators on my maps. Any help and/or suggested restaurants/walking tours will be greatly appreciated!
Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 11:11 AM

around campo Fiori???
Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 11:18 AM
LJ

Trastevere: lots of good walking tours of this area, just Google for more specific info.
Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 11:21 AM

Hi, I am no expert in Rome but I think the old
Jewish quater is around the Sinagoge which is located near Ponte Fabricio. In the general area where th Portico d'Ottavia is located.
Some years ago we had a love lunch in some tables set up outside, near the Portico d'Ottavia.
The restaurant name was Giggetto, I believe the food might have been Jewish, or Jewish Italian, anyway it was delicious. I remember we had
filet of cod dried in a flour batter. Well si non è vero è bien trovato....I am sure you are going to get better information from other Ziners than from me. But I could not resist talking about this nice place.
Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 11:26 AM

Sorry I meant fried cod...not dried....
also it was a lovely lunch.... Why don't I read my postings before sending them? I apologize.
Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 11:34 AM

A very general description of the areaouth of Corso Vittorrio Emanuele II, east of Via Arenula, west of Via del Teatro Marcello. (Which puts it just north of the Isola Tiberina, the island in the Tiber River)
Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 11:34 AM

don't know how I got that face when all I wanted was 'south'
Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 11:36 AM

Graziella is right, it is around Piazza Mattei (the square has a little turtle fountain in the middle and is quite picturesque). The synagogue is in Via del Portico d’Ottavia.

It is one of Rome's quieter quarters, and there are some cozy restaurants. Otherwise, do not expect too much; at least, I cannot remember any museums or so, but it is a nice area off the beaten path but well accessible by feet.
Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 11:38 AM

The Jewish quarter is actually known as the Ghetto and it's basically to the south and east of the Campo de'Fiori area, and across the river from Trastevere. Easy to find on a map, just follow the Tiber past the Via Arenula.

It's a fascinating part of Rome and, as Graziella says, many good restaurants. I also really like Da Giggetto, on the Via Portico D'Ottavia. Great food and you can sometimes snare an outdoor seat with a great view of the ruins of the Porticus of Octavia (built by Augustus to honour his sister.)
Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 11:39 AM

That is correct. The ghetto has as its main artery the via Portico d'Ottavia; it is NOT in Trastevere although that district was once home to many of rome's Jews. Dal Pompiere is one well-known roman Jewish eatery. Da Giggetto is another. A wine bar I like in the area is Anaclato Bleve; they also serve food.
Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 11:57 AM

VERY roughly, it is bounded by Via Arenula, Via dei Funari, Via del Teatro Marcello, and the Tiber river.

Never heard of walking tours - I think you could easily construct your own. The area is small. Besides the Jewish Museum and the great Synagog it's mostly Jewish shops and restaurants.

Here are a few prized restaurants and places for a quick snack:

Piperno (reservations recommended)
Via Monte de'Cenci 9
Tel: 06-688-06629

Giggetto (reservations recommended)
Via Portico d'Ottavia 21/A
Tel: 06-686-1105

Il Sanpietrino (reservations recommended)
Piazza Costaguti 15
Tel: 06-688-06471

Antico Forno del Ghetto (pizza sold by weight - very famous)
Piazza Costaguti 30-31
Tel: 06-688-03012

Zi Fenizia
Via Santa Maria del Pianto 65
Tel: 06-689-6976
Zi Fenizia is located around the corner from Antico Forno del Ghetto, (Kosher pizza - no cheese)

Beteavon (well known Jewish sandwich shop)
Via Portico d'Ottavia 1/B
Tel: 34-9635-9521
Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 12:02 PM

Do any of you have experience with jewishroma, Micaela's tours of the ghetto area?
Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 12:04 PM
LJ

When we were visiting this area (apparently much more variously defined than I thought!) a group from this company was being guided through.

http://www.enjoyrome.com/walking/jewish.html

They all seemed to be having a good time.
Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

WoW! So many responses in so little time! Thanks so much. All your descriptions should get me back on track.

Various sources had me going back and forth as to which side of the river it was on. I THOUGHT it was on the Campo side, but other descriptions made it sound like it was synonymous with Trastevere.

Dried cod---Mmmm. LOL!

Anyway, my sister and I have been on the south beach diet for months and we're practically drooling over the descriptions of the Jewish Qtr's fried specialties!

Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 01:01 PM

Hi I visited the Jewish ghetto a few years ago. It is small and your able to visit independently. We visited the synogogue and there was a guide from the community to explain the synogogue and Roman Jews to the visitors, inenglish. According to cadogan guide the ghetto is botfrtrf Piazza delle Cinque Schuole and the Tiber.There were butcher shops, a bakery and several restaurants. The Jews have lived in rome about 2000 yrs. and the visit there was very informative. Enjoy it
Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 01:02 PM

http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/desti...aly/ghetto.htm
Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 02:14 PM

We stayed for a week in an apartment on via della Reginella, just south of Piazza Mattei in the ghetto. I found it a very interesting neighborhood and enjoyed the central location.
In addition to other restaurants mentioned, we ate at Il Portico at via Portico d'Ottavia 1e. This is a relatively new restaurant compared to some of the others and less expensive. The food was good.

Here are links to two articles with more on the history of the ghetto.
Note the NYtimes article is quite old, but it still has good info
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...50C0A96F948260

http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/01/25/news/rome.php

Although the ghetto is across the Tiber from, not in, Trastevere, it is easy to combine a walk there with a walk in Trastevere. The pedestrian bridges over the Isola Tiberina make a nice walk (and a change from the traffic in Rome)
Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 02:17 PM

Here's an excerpt from my report to Rome in Jan 2007:

We took a cab back to Largo Argentina and wandered into the Jewish Qtr to look for lunch. We decided on Il Portico on via del Portico d’ Ottavia, 1e mainly because they were serving Jewish artichokes and we had never had one. Our guide, Francesca, mentioned during the tour that it was very hard to find a place that served good Jewish artichokes…well we found a place…they were amazing! I started off with a plate of mixed, grilled vegetables and M had the artichoke, there were actually 2 on his plate.
If you’re the type of person that looks for the darker potato chips in the bag or wants the corner piece of lasagna cause the cheese is a little burned, then you’ll love these. Fried, but not battered they still maintain their strong artichoke flavor but with a slightly burned/fried taste (but in a good way!) and the heart is still very soft…sprinkled with a heavy dose of coarse salt and piping hot. Yum! I also had fettuccini with pesto which had a wonderful flavor and M had spaghetti carbonara. Everything was very, very good. With 3 beers, our total was 40 euro.
Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 02:39 PM

Our teenage son is not an adventurous eater and tended to stick to chicken, steak, lamb and pizza at meals in Rome--but he really loved the fried artichokes.
Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 02:47 PM

Graziella5b --

You were right in calling the fish both "dried" cod or "fried" cod. That was baccalà, which is reconstituted dried salt cod....and then deep fried.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -