Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Rome/Rome or Rome/Milan need to decide tonight! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/rome-rome-or-rome-milan-need-to-decide-tonight-716719/)

dosu Jun 28th, 2007 07:54 AM

Rome/Rome or Rome/Milan need to decide tonight!

OK.. I need a bit of help. We've gone back and forth on our itinerary, but think we've narrowed it down. Airfares are such that I have a choice of flying in/out Rome, or into Rome & out of Milan. We have 9 nights 10/28-11/7. We're looking at spending minimal time(2nts)Rome, then Southern Tuscany, and Florence area. Either way we would see Rome first. Then, would it be better to train up to Florence, then by car work our way back down to Rome? OR Again, start in Rome, then by car, do southern Tuscany and work our way up to Florence for a night or two and then train to Milan. Either way we have to take a train.. is either better than the other? easier?
Each flight home is at around 10am, so we'd need to be in the city the night before. Any advantage/disadvantage to either? or better ideas? Need to book this fare by tonight. Thanks for your help!

jabez Jun 28th, 2007 08:20 AM

I'd do Rome RT.
Then I would probably rent a car when I arrived and start my way up.
Stay in the Val D' Orcia area for 3 nights
Then Chianti for 3. Leave your car in Florence and train back.
I always recommend no less than 3 nights in Rome.
Florence to Milan is a longer train trip. And comparing Rome to Milan,well I like Milan.
I LOVE Rome.
Enjoy your planning!

annhig Jun 28th, 2007 08:22 AM

hi, dosu,

It rather depends if there's anything you really want to see in/around Milan.

If you'd only be going to fly back, I'd not bother.

As you arriving in the morning, I'd pick up car, then use the rest of that day to get to next destination - say south Tuscany. Stay 4 nights.

drive to Florence - return car, and stay 2 nights. [concentrate on florence, no excursions needed as you've just done them!]

train to Rome - say 3 nights.

that means you're not lumbered with the car in florence where you don't need it, and you're in Rome for your last night before early flight home.

regards, ann

dosu Jun 28th, 2007 08:56 AM

Thanks you both so much. I was thinking of seeing Rome first only to end the trip on a more relaxed note, but I suppose doing so will have us shuttling from the airport an extra time and sitting in an airport hotel the last night. The real focus of this trip is the small towns in Tuscany/Umbria, so we're limiting Rome.
We have no reason to see Milan, but thought maybe i shouldn't 'backtrack', and there might be something of interest there or on the way... So I will stick to Rome/Rome. Any hotel suggestions in Rome? or Chianti? I have a few I like in the southern area, but thought maybe we'd stay a night up outside of Florence too. So much planning to do!!

jabez Jun 28th, 2007 09:32 AM

You don't need to stay at an airport hotel for a 10am flight. I'd stay in the city and enjoy your last night.
What kind of place do you like?
There are sone nice places in and around Greve that are quite close to Florence.

dosu Jun 28th, 2007 09:44 AM

I guess i meant that if we see Rome first, when we head back to rome on our last full day, we'd be driving, so I just assumed it'd be easier to stay by the airport since i wouldn't want to drive into the city. Suppose we could go back to the city after we drop off the car, but would it be worth it?
I really don't know anything about the areas of Rome(been busy researching Tuscany/Umbria) I'd like to be in a central area, or with ease of getting around. Might want to be convenient distance to Vatican or Borghese... not really sure. Not too busy/noisy an area. What do you suggest?

jabez Jun 28th, 2007 10:43 AM

That's why I think your Rome should be at the end of your trip.
Renting at FCO and driving to Tuscany is easy.
If you leave your car in Florence,and train back to Rome, you can be in the heart of where you would stay in Rome.
If only two nights, you would still be able to get to the airport with an early morning cab/hired car.
Your last night strolling around Rome should be quite relaxing.
If not, you would either need to stay two nights Rome and then travel back for another night.

dosu Jun 28th, 2007 10:53 AM

Yes,looking better to save Rome for last. Suppose I could drop the car in a town on the way back to Rome and train to Rome for our last night..I'll have to mull it over awhile. Thanks for the feedback, always helpful to have someone to bounce ideas off of.
What are some of the hotels you've stayed... anything outstanding I should take a look at?

Dayle Jun 28th, 2007 01:00 PM

Dosu,

Two suggestions for dropping your car - Orvieto or Chiusi - as long as you are not trying to return it on a weekend. Orvieto is a wonderful town to visit too!

Buon viaggio!