Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Rome restaurants. Still need some recs for east, north and Vatican area.

Feb 17th, 2010, 03:06 PM
Original Poster

Folks, I am building my own Google map of restaurants recommended on this site. This way, wherever we are in Rome, we can pull this up and locate the nearest recommended restaurant to where we are at.

After loading all the recs I had, I don't seem to have any recommendations for three areas. North (Piazza del Popolo/Villa Borghese), East (Colosseum/Esqueline/Lateran) or near the Vatican.

Sure would appreciate any recommendations. Please include prices (if you recall), type of food, and whether better for dinner or lunch. And, of course, anything else you want to throw in.

Thanks!

(OH, we will be there April 28-May 4th)
Feb 17th, 2010, 04:26 PM

Taverna dei Quaranta
Via Claudia 24 (at Via Annia)

Near Colosseum, but not on top of it, two blocks further up the hill than people will walk and therefore popular with locals. Inexpensive (entrees 10-18 euros or so) delicious and unusual pastas and other Roman specialties. Pizza available at night only. Nothing fancy but way better than grabbing something at one of those places facing to Colosseum.
Feb 17th, 2010, 05:22 PM

Cafe Mancini Ristorante dal 1905
via Metastasio 21 (corner of Piazza di Firenze)

http://www.cafemancini.com/english/contatti.htm

At the bottom of the webpage is a navigation bar to other pages for the restaurant's history (5 generations originally from Naples), menu, wines, map, etc.

Our hotel recommended this restaurant located north of Piazza Navona and the Pantheon. We've enjoyed it very much over multiple visits/years, particularly the fish entrees and the great wine list. I would say the prices (available on their menu page) verge on semi-splurge but are in line with what we would pay at home for the same meal. When I googled to find their website, I noticed the restaurant is included in Frommer's 2007 Italy guide.
Feb 17th, 2010, 05:37 PM

Did you look at Kristina's maps from her trips in 08 and 09? Just click on a fork and knife for the info.

http://www.wired2theworld.com/ROME2008.html

http://www.wired2theworld.com/Rome2009.html

Santa Susanna has a few suggestions on their website.
http://www.santasusanna.org/visitorInfo/whereDine.html

I noticed Tre Pupazzi near the Vatican is listed by Santa Susanna and Kristina.
Feb 17th, 2010, 07:02 PM
Original Poster

thanks all. keep 'em comin'.

ky- I see that Kristina has them labeled, but I don't see any real indication whether she liked them or not. (or pricing, etc). Should I assume she liked them if she put them on the map?
Feb 17th, 2010, 07:19 PM

Sarge - look at K's report for each day and her listing alongside the larger map.
Feb 17th, 2010, 07:41 PM

Tag for future reference.

Sarge, once you get your map finished up a bit would you be willing to share?
Feb 17th, 2010, 07:45 PM

Kristina tells about them in her report and includes pics of the food. You will have to read her reports.

You can also search restaurants by area/street/name/zone/macro zone. Be sure to click applica and annulla.
http://www.060608.it/en/content/inde...oglienza/id/19
Feb 17th, 2010, 07:48 PM

Sarge: we will be in Rome April 27, leaving May 1. Perhaps we could meet for a meal, a coffee, gelato, or whatever. What do you think?

Jean: Cafe Mancini looks and sounds good. It is going on my list. (I grew up in a neighborhood where about half the families were named Mancini.)
Feb 18th, 2010, 05:40 PM
Original Poster

tuscanlifeedit- that could be a real possibility! In which area of town are you staying? We (my adult DD and I) are renting an apt just off Via Guilia, a few blocks NW of Campo de Fiori. We're planning on an "area a day", so maybe we can hook up when we are in "your" area. email me paulam910 at hotmail . com

I was actually just looking at my map and realize someone has added "Wine Time" (it might be Kristina!) and that is not too far from where we are staying.

Plus, I am mapping markets on a separate map and happened upon your info re Piazza Fontanella Borghese! Thanks!

Thanks to all!
Feb 18th, 2010, 05:45 PM
Original Poster

Oh, and Iowa_Redhead- absolutely. Just send me your email address.
Feb 19th, 2010, 09:22 AM

Osteria dell'Angelo in Prati is a few minutes walk from the Vatican. Typical Roman food. I loved the cacio e pepe, the rabbit, and puntarelle salad I had for lunch.
Feb 19th, 2010, 10:48 AM

If you get just a bit north of Villa Borghese in Parioli, try Ambasciata d'Abruzzo
http://www.ambasciatadiabruzzo.com/
Feb 19th, 2010, 10:55 AM

Regarding Tre Pupazzi, near the Vatican - I can definitely attest to this one. We had a fabulous, very reasonable, lunch there on the day we visited the Vatican museums. It was a Thursday, which is gnocchi day at many restaurants in Rome - theirs were light and delicious little pillows, and the veal saltimboca was one of the best we've had.
Feb 19th, 2010, 11:10 AM

I must say that Tracy and I were pretty underwhelmed by the food in Rome. I'm still looking for the damn lamb on my chops!

I do highly recommend, however:

Le Mani In Pasta
Via Dei Genovesi, 37, 00153 Rome, Italy
39 06 5816017
Trastevere

And for the place I would return in a heartbeat for their Zabaione dessert (they had a really good steak, too)

Hostaria Costanza
Via del Paradiso, 63

For lunch, the wonderful:

Enoteca Cul de Sac
Piazza di Pasquino, 73

Feb 19th, 2010, 12:38 PM

have you looked on chowhound.com?
Feb 19th, 2010, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

thanks all!

iamq- I have to ask... what is "cacio e pepe" and what is a "puntarelle"?

hazel1 - terrific! We will be doing the Vatican museums on a Friday (our Scavi tour is that day), so I'm hoping they'll have something equally terrific on Fridays!

Paul1950 - thanks. Perhaps we can lunch here before we do the Borghese!

maitai- You have to know that I already put those on my map, based on your last trip report! I have "zabaione" written in big letters on the one, and of course Cul de Sac has big asterisk! I'm still giving some thought to bringing along a bright orange round dot sticker with "sarge56" and the date of our visit written on it. I'm going to place it under the table we are seated at... and then on my next visit, see how many other fodorites put theirs up, too.

thanks, again, all. I welcome more! And if anyone wants the map when I'm done, I'll be happy to share. I've gleaned "recommended" restaurants from others' trip reports and from Franco's recommendations. (Though, I will tell you I didn't include any of the restaurants where entrails are the specialty. Not my cup of tea. [no offense, Franco]:] ) If you'd like me to email you a copy when it's done, just send me your email address. paulam910 athotmaildotcom
Feb 19th, 2010, 03:25 PM

"I'm still giving some thought to bringing along a bright orange round dot sticker with "sarge56" and the date of our visit written on it. I'm going to place it under the table we are seated at... and then on my next visit, see how many other fodorites put theirs up, too."

Yes, I like that. Of course, you had better watch out what else is stuck under there. Have a great trip.

Feb 19th, 2010, 03:26 PM

Cacio e pepe is a classic Roman dish; it is spaghetti that is "sauced" only with cheese (pecorino romano), black pepper and a little of the pasta cooking water to blend it all together. Puntarelle are a local form of chicory; they are cut into strips and served as a salad with a dressing made with anchovies. (Maitaitom hated them; I love them.)
Feb 19th, 2010, 04:32 PM

"Puntarelle are a local form of chicory; they are cut into strips and served as a salad with a dressing made with anchovies. (Maitaitom hated them; I love them.)"

Ah yes, the Medusa Salad. Still having nightmares over that choice.

I did, however, love Cacio e pepe (sounds like an Italian cop show). And don't forget Broccolo Romanesco. Thanks Zerlina for your info on that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO