Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Rome - Restaurant Recommendations (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/rome-restaurant-recommendations-114147/)

kelli Mar 23rd, 2001 01:17 AM

Rome - Restaurant Recommendations

HI <BR> <BR>Will be in Rome next week! Staying very near to the Pantheon. <BR> <BR>Can anyone recommend restaurants in this area (typical Italian, where the locals hang out, mid-price range)? <BR> <BR>Also, the Campo Di Fiori district - can anyone recommend a decent restaurant there? <BR> <BR>Many thanks

nancy Mar 23rd, 2001 05:17 AM

Kellie, <BR>Have you tried a search? <BR>there is a Text Search Box at the top of the europe forum page. <BR>I just typed in Rome Restaurants and it pulled up 14 posts. <BR>You could also try some other combos of words and might pull up even more postings. <BR>the search engine is slow at times, so be prepared to wait, and it does not always work. <BR>But give it a try and have a blast in Rome! <BR>the wather has been in the 50's and 60's this past week which is much more appealing than the 20 and 30 degrees we have now. <BR>Have fun. <BR>and if you have any new favorites, please post them upon your return. <BR>there are alot of us, following in your footsteps over the next months!

Josh Mar 23rd, 2001 05:53 AM

Kelli, We had a fantastic meal at La Taverna degli Amici. It's a little hard to find, but worth the search. Located in the small Piazza Margana, it has an ivy covered facade with a few outdoor tables under an ivy covered trellace. <BR>We were clearly the only tourists there the night we stumbled across it. All eyes were on us as we entered...largely because everyone in the place seemed to know each other (lots of kissing & mingling between tables). <BR>The food was fantastic (esp. Osso Bucco) and we probably paid about 70USD for 2, including a carafe of house red & caffe. <BR>The phone number is 06-699-20-637 (not that you need reservations). If you do go, please post a review or send me an email...we're going back in November for our honeymoon & plan to make this our first dinner. <BR>We've had world class cuisine all over Europe & the US but we always brag about the "magical" night we had at this place. Enjoy. <BR>

BOB THE NAVIGATOR Mar 23rd, 2001 06:00 AM

Kelli, We too will be in Roma next week. Will arrive 28 March for 6 nites. <BR>I will be the good looking one wearing an Amelia Island hat. Do you have any Scala Reale tours scheduled? We will be doing the Vatican early on the 30th. <BR>

Betsy Mar 23rd, 2001 06:28 AM

Bob! <BR> <BR>Amelia Island hat? In Rome? Where is your Fodors pin? <BR> <BR>Buon viaggio

sally Mar 23rd, 2001 06:56 AM

Kelli: There is a great little trattoria called Da Pancrazio right off the Campo across from the Hotel Campo di Fiori--the exact address is Piazza del Biscione, #92. I had wonderful fritta di mare (fried assorted seafood) which was very light and delicious; they also had very good bruschetta. We also enjoyed our meal at Grappolo di Oro, which is also off the Campo; sorry I don't have that address for you. Have a great trip and if possible, get reservations thru your concierge at the hotel and go to the Borghese Museum; the Bernini sculptures are stunning, and the whole collection of art there is very well worth seeing. Have a glorious trip!! Regards, Sally

sandi Mar 23rd, 2001 07:44 AM

There's a great place to eat, in Trastevere, that was recommended on this board, Ristorante Galeassi (Piazza S. Maria in Trastevere 3-3a). Try the Roman artichokes! Excellent wine selection. Everything was wonderful.

steve Mar 23rd, 2001 07:45 AM

You should go to a restaurant called "Alla Rampa", very near the spanish steps. It's an incredible place, with an anti-pasti buffet spread that's simply incredible. It's also frequented more by locals than tourists.

mo Mar 25th, 2001 09:28 AM

I just got back from Rome and I had all good meals. I like Myosotis on Vicolo della Vaccarelle 3-5. You have to make reservations. There is alot of hype on that one as it is recommended by all guidebooks but there is some quality to it. I had the frittura mista and veal. They were both good. Da mario on Via della Vite is cheap and good. They are famous for meat. Both restaurants were walking distance from the spanish steps.

Rex Jul 15th, 2001 06:49 PM

(more Rome recommendations - - reasonably fresh) to the top... for David (Arbuddies) <BR>