Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   ROME- restaurant recommedations for real foodies! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/rome-restaurant-recommedations-for-real-foodies-86533/)

Robyn Sep 15th, 2000 10:05 AM

ROME- restaurant recommedations for real foodies!

Part of my family is going to Rome in a few weeks, and we would love to have any restaurant recommenations. Price is not an issue, but quality and service are! Any help would be great for this group of gourmet gurus! Thanks!

Bets Sep 15th, 2000 12:14 PM

Robyn, My favorite meal in Rome was at Ristorante Montevecchio, in Piazza Montevecchio near Piazza Navona. I was there in 1998, and I think they were only open for dinner. I'd read a little blurb on this place from the "What's Doing" column in the NY Times travel section, so we walked by to see about making reservations. The piazza was tiny and jammed with cars, and the restaurant didn't look like much, but based on the Times review, we went ahead and made a reservation. When we returned for dinner--transformation. The cars were gone, tables were set up outside, big planters full of greenery were in place, the patio sparkled with candles.... The food was delicious, the service wonderful: all in all, one of those meals you remember for a long, long, time. I hope Montevecchio is still in business--I'm going back in a couple of months, and I know where I want to go for dinner!

Chad Osborne Sep 16th, 2000 08:40 PM

<BR> <BR>I would recommend Agata e Romeo for dinner in Rome. I took my Mom there in March of 2000 . It had been reviewed in Gourmet Magazine or the N.Y. Times a few months earlier and it definitely deserved the praise. The prixe fixe menu pairs food that might be considered updated Italian based on traditional Roman cooking with an eclectic and exstensive wine list. I loved this place. The quality of everything was exceptional, especially the wines. Service was very formal to the point of reserved but once Romeo realized we weren't Americans looking for burgers and Cokes everything relaxed and we just had to contend with the language barrier. My only concern was the location near the train station off the Piazza Vittorio Emanuelle. That however is a small incovenience for such a great meal.

Paulo Sep 18th, 2000 07:16 AM

A strong second vote for the Agata e Romeo. It was certainly the best overall restaurant we experimented in Rome. As Chad observes, just don't be put off it's location near the Basilica di Santa Maria Maggiore ... once through the door you'll enjoy a first class experience in all regards. <BR> <BR>The following is a copy of an old posting of mine in the Forum: <BR> <BR>* AGATA E ROMEO (Via Carlo Alberto 45 - Tel. 06/4465842, closed on Sundays and for lunch on Mondays/August/January). Although the neighborhoods of Sta. Maria Maggiore, and the street in particular, are not what one could call Rome's prime, the place is one of Rome's best. The place is very elegant and well kept. Cuisine is the traditional Roman <BR>somewhat criatively modified to use the quality ingredients available in the markets/season. Very fine wine selection. Reservations are essential. <BR> <BR>Paulo <BR>

Josh Sep 18th, 2000 10:25 AM

Our favorite place in Rome is La Taverna degli Amici. It's difficult to find-off the beaten path-which adds to the ambiance. We were certainly the only tourists there, and noticed that the place was filled with "beautiful people" from patrons to staff. <BR>It's located near the jewish ghetto in Piazza Margana. Great service, incredible food. The osso bucco was one of the best meals we've ever had. <BR>The atmosphere is casual and prices are moderate, so don't expect a 5 star environment. However, we have eaten gourmet all over the world, and Taverna Amici truly made a "magical" evening for us. <BR>Please give it a try & let us know what you think.