Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Rome Rental Car (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/rome-rental-car-1127002/)

nenglish Aug 26th, 2016 10:44 AM

Rome Rental Car

Where is the easiest location in Rome to pick up a rental car? Nice area and easy access to leave the city? Thank you so much!!

jamikins Aug 26th, 2016 11:06 AM

In which direction are you leaving the city?

nenglish Aug 26th, 2016 04:35 PM

We will be heading towards Orvieto...Tuscany

DebbieDoesDulles Aug 26th, 2016 06:36 PM

Probably this Europcar location near Tiburtina station:
Via Teodorico, 48, 00162 Roma, Italy

There's a Hertz right there, too.

nenglish Aug 29th, 2016 05:49 AM

Thank you!!

Mimar Aug 29th, 2016 06:43 AM

How about Fiumicino airport? Easy to get to, easy to get on the ring road around Rome. And no driving in the city of Rome at all.

Mimar Aug 29th, 2016 06:46 AM

BTW are you renting an automatic transmission car? Those are relatively rare in Europe and easier to find at the airport. At a smaller office they may promise you an automatic but don't always deliver.

tuscanlifeedit Aug 29th, 2016 08:51 AM

There is a Hertz in Orvieto. An option could be to train there, and then pick up the car.

nenglish Sep 1st, 2016 11:55 AM

@Mimar How long is the drive/ taxi to the airport?

HappyTrvlr Sep 1st, 2016 11:57 AM

We picked a rental car up on Via Veneto, easy access to the north.

nenglish Sep 2nd, 2016 06:38 AM

Thank you @HappyTrvlr That is exactly where I was thinking.

Mimar Sep 2nd, 2016 07:24 AM

A taxi fron central Rome to Fiumicino takes about 45 minutes and costs €48. There are other, cheaper options: www.rome-airport.info/in.html.

bvlenci Sep 2nd, 2016 09:17 AM

The airport is on the southwest side of the city, and Orvieto is to the north. I think the Tiburtina location is the best, as it's north of the center. There can be some congestion there at rush hour, but so could there be on the ring road.

jim21 Sep 2nd, 2016 09:45 AM

Take the train to Orvieto and pick-up your car there. That is what I do to avoid the traffic in and around Rome. You will be one kilometer from the Autostrada del Sole giving you quick access north or south.

StCirq Sep 2nd, 2016 10:56 AM

I agree with taking the train to Orvieto or even Chiusi, and picking up the car there. I don't have many issues with driving in or around Rome, but for total peace of mind it is just easier to get on the train in Rome, get out of town, and pick the car up in a kinder, gentler place if you don't have experience in driving in a madhouse Italian city.

bvlenci Sep 2nd, 2016 12:29 PM

Really, leaving from Tiburtina wouldn't be a madhouse. It's a short, mostly straight, run to the Autostrada. There can be traffic at rush hour though.

RonZ Sep 2nd, 2016 02:40 PM

If you travel to Orvieto and are not staying, the Hotel Picchio stores luggage for a modest fee if you would like to see the town before picking up your car.
St Cirq mentioned Chiusi[-Chianciano Terme], which is further north. An early train from Termini gets you there right after the Hertz office opens.

nenglish Sep 7th, 2016 07:23 AM

I am going to see if Hertz will deliver our car to our hotel...and then zip out of town. Thank you!!!

Mimar Sep 8th, 2016 06:56 AM

<< OP: I am going to see if Hertz will deliver our car to our hotel...and then zip out of town. >>

Have you driven in Rome before?

nenglish Sep 12th, 2016 06:57 AM

@Mirmar haha nope! but I have driven in Manhattan and other big cities. hoping for the best! :)