Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Rome, Renaissance or Medieval Clothing Shops

Old Aug 19th, 2003, 06:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are going to Rome at the end of this week. We are big Renaissance festival buffs, and it occured to me that there might be some pretty cool shops for Ren. period clothing in Rome, Italy. Has anyone seen any or have any advice?
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 07:30 PM

Why don't you ask a Swiss Guard for the name of his tailor?
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 10:20 PM

Haven't found anything in Rome yet, but while Googling, I found this website with some awesome links you might find useful. Of course, being a big Ren buff, you might already know about it, but for anyone else who's interested....

http://www.historyteacher.net/Global...enaissance.htm
Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 06:29 PM

Rome, to the best of my knowledge, does not have any traditional festivals at which medieval or Renaissance clothing is worn. Siena, Bevagna, Gubbio are some of the towns where such festivals are an important part of civic life. I also understand that the townspeople spend a great deal of money on their costumes. In none of the above-mentioned towns, all of which I have visited at least once, have I ever seen a "pretty cool shop for Renaissance period clothing," much less in Rome... There is an Italian Web site -- www.costumidiscena.it -- of a company that makes costumes, also to your specifications, but it is closed for holidays and reopens only on September 1. The telephone number given on the Web site is not in Rome; I assume it is in Spoleto, where the firm provides the costumes for the Festival of Two Worlds. I somehow doubt that you will be able to simply saunter into a store in Rome and pick up a Renaissance costume or two...