Rome/Pompei/Amalfi coast/herculeum

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9th, 2003, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be staying at the Hilton hotel,Rome airport for a week. I would like to rent a car drive to Pompei, do a tour(take lots of pics), drive to Positano, spend the night, next morning have a leisurly drive around the coast then see Herculeum, then the museum in Naples. Arrive back at our hotel in Rome. We are going in October so driving the coast should be fine, plus we are used to mountain driving(from colorado). Pls tell me if i should go to Naples first,go to Pompei last? Pls suggest hotels or B&B's, should we just stop in Positano and stay somewhere else, or any restaurants. Actually, I think I can do a search to see where everyone likes to eat. I just read Amanda's report and it was great. thanks in advance, dollie
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

plse reply to this!!! someone????
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 05:04 PM

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post
Well, Dollie, I wish someone would help you out because I would like to know also!
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

Sundowner: yes, i wish they would too! So many people with so much info, I will do a search tonight on Fodor's and see what i can find about the best way to drive, i have a map i was just wondering do we stop in naples first, then pompei, then do the coast, so i will start looking tonight for hotel, restaurants that have been recommended, and if pompei is open on sundays. will get back to this post again!!
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 05:32 PM

Hi dollie,
Cannot help you about driving. My Fodor's book says the Arch Museum is open Wed-Mon 9:00-7:30 but I would double check this. Pompeii is open daily 8:30 to 7:30 March-Sept. Must close earlier in Oct. Many recommend going to museum first before Pompeii but I think you should do what works best in your schedule. There are hotel suggestions on this site. Go to rants and raves section and look there for hotel suggestions. Sorry I can be of no more help. I always buy a Fodor's book to start with on the place I'm planning to go. Maybe you have a library that has one. Have a great trip.
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 05:34 PM

You might also try posting using a different title--like Italy HELP
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 05:54 PM

Dollie, I can tell you a couple of things. Pompeii does indeed close earlier in October. I was there about 5 years ago in October, and after we got lost trying to find it (driving) and arrived a little late in the afternoon, we were rather brusquely told that it was closing soon and they wouldn't let us in. My aunt (who was the only fluent Italian speaker in the bunch) argued futilely with the gatekeeper and got us nowhere. Then my brother, cousin and myself took him aside and offered a few lire, and no problem. Amazing how that international language translates so readily....

But I digress. I have driven in Italy many times (as well as other countries, some of which have been quite challenging!), and I would have to say I would think twice about driving around Naples. We got desperately lost (the signage is awful), and it made for a stressful couple of hours. And was the cause of our late arrival in Pompeii. But if you're up to the challenge, just have a good navigator! And buon viaggio!
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 08:13 PM
Original Poster

mimipam/JanT: thanks for answering. I have bought two maps for s. italy and a Rome book. We just now decided to go to the Amalfi coast after first thinking we were going to Malta, then amalfi coast for a week, and now it's going to be the last week in Greece. thanks, i will go get more books!!
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 08:57 PM

Dollie, as far as which to do to first, there are advantages either way; however, I believe that you are trying to do way, way too much for less than two days when you figure drive time from and back to Rome. Just getting into and out of Naples plus visiting the museum will take the better part of a day. You may want to read my comments on driving in Naples http://www.janeandken.com/Italy1.html (scroll to the Naples part). Pompeii will take several hours and leisurely driving the coast is not really easy to do. Herculaneum is fascinating. I suggest you go there and hold off on Pompeii until another trip. I think I would drive to Positano, wander there, and spend the nigh. Get up the next am and go back to Herculaneum and then to Naples. Actually, I would probably cut Naples out altogether unless you are willing to add at least one more day to your plans--which would probably be a good idea. Just some thoughts. If you have questions, my e-mail is on my webpage so just contact me directly. Hope this gives you some food for thought.
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 03:47 AM
ira

Hi dollie,

I suggest that you take the train to Naples and then either a driver to positano or the Circumvesuviana train and SITA bus.

You will not have a lot of luggage to carry.

I would train to Naples, train to Pompeii, train to Sorrento, bus to Positano.

Next day, bus to Sorrento, train to Naples, visit museum, see a little Naples and train back to Rome.

Train schedules and prices are at http://www.trenitalia.com and http://www.vesuviana.it/orario_ol/orari.asp
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 05:10 AM

And dollie, just to be sure that you know, The National Museum in Pompeii is closed all day on Tuesdays. We didn't know that and had completely made our plans so wanted you to know ahead of time to work around it.
Have fun!