Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Rome: Place to Buy Weekly Bus Pass in FCO or Stazione Trastevere?

Nov 2nd, 2007, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

Will be arriving at FCO on USAir (terminal C?).

(1) Is there a convenient place in the terminal to buy the 1-week metro-bus pass (16 EUR)?

(2) If not, is there a place in Stazione Trastevere to buy it?

Thanks.
SS
Nov 2nd, 2007, 10:23 AM

(1) Yes. When you arrive on the railway station concourse at the newsagents (usually no queue)

(2) Yes. When you arrive at the station concourse at the newsagents (usually no queue either).

Nov 2nd, 2007, 03:30 PM

Before you buy a pass, make sure you really want it. The buses are hot and annoying (I think). Rome is so compact, it's easy to walk it.
Nov 6th, 2007, 03:49 AM

Respectfully disagree about the buses. It is the only way to get around in Rome. Aside from the pickpockets(something I have yet to see), there are lots of interesting people on the buses. I met one older gentlemen who was on his way to San Luigi Di Francesi to see the Caravaggios. At the time, I did not know they were there. I went with him to see the paintings of St. Matthew. The buses are easy to use, you can tell exactly where they go from the signs and very inexpensive. The weekly pass is a bargain.
Nov 6th, 2007, 04:31 AM

Will you be there a full seven days? You might consider the Roma Pass (20E) or the Roma & Piu Pass(25E). They are good for 3 days transportation and include free admission to 2 museums and discounts at other museums. The Roma & Piu also includes the Leonardo Express(11) from FCO.

If you were to buy the Roma Pass and take the local train from FCO to Trastevere (5E), tour the coloseum (9E), and Capitoline museum (6.50E)or another museum, you would have your money's worth + free transportation for 3 days. For the other days, you can buy a 3 day transportation pass or day ticket. You might find out you don't really need a pass for the other days.

http://www.pierreci.it/do/show/article/01279
Nov 6th, 2007, 04:39 AM

I disagree with kslanker. the buses and Trams are a gem to use and understand.

Of course, if you use them during peak hours, you're asking for being crammed and have you personal space invaded.

We bought our weekly pass at a newstand beside the tourist office in Trastevere.
Nov 6th, 2007, 04:40 AM

Oops. I meant I disgaree with shoefly.

sorry about the confusion.
Nov 6th, 2007, 04:48 AM

I'd avoid the buss pass. Get a good street map. You will find that a lot of the time when you are at a certain part of town for example the spanish steps you can walk to Trevi fountain and other areas nearby. You can take in Forum, Colleseum, Mouth of truth in the same area.

It makes more sense to start by buying some 1 Euro bus tickets from a news kiosk. Just keep them on you at all times. You can take a bus say to one part of town and walk around and then either return to your hotel using transport or do as we did and walk back taking in other sights on the way. That way you get to see far more. When you get on the bus you need to insert the ticket into the yellow machines with the arrow on the ticket facing you. Push it down and the machine will take in the ticket and then give it back to you with the date and time on. Many people have bought the passes and then realised that most of the time they only had to walk around the corner to see the next attraction.

I think that the passes are issued as a money making tool as they know that most tourists will never use them to the full extent.
Nov 6th, 2007, 08:32 AM

For visitors staying in Trastevere, the bus pass could be a good choice. Though Trastevere is walking distance to centro storico, it is nice to be able to hop on the tram to/from Largo Argentina to save the feet/energy for other pursuits around Rome. Also, there are points of interest outside centro storico where bus/tram is the best option, e.g. St. John Lateran.

I loved riding all around Rome like a local -- took the circle tram just for the ride to look at parts of the city I would not otherwise visit -- and would buy the pass again if I were to stay a week. (PS, it was February. I might agree with shoefly had I been there in July with its heat and crowds.)
Nov 6th, 2007, 04:15 PM

Sorry, but both times I've been to Rome the buses were super hot and stuck in traffic. I could have walked faster. But I'm a big walker (even at home LOL). I walk everywhere, so maybe I don't count.
Nov 6th, 2007, 05:35 PM

Do many people really go by foot to the Vatican, then by foot to their hotel, on foot to lunch, on foot to St. Giovanni in Laterano, on foot to a restaurant, and on foot back to their hotel, plus several other places, all on the same day? I did similar daily itineraries, but took the metro or bus for several of the route points, and still did tons of walking.

It's not impossible to do it all on foot, I just think it's not likely anyone would choose to not take transit at any time during the day with such an itinerary. You could substitute other relatively far-apart points too.
Nov 6th, 2007, 06:09 PM

>>Do many people really go by foot to the Vatican, then by foot to their hotel, on foot to lunch, on foot to St. Giovanni in Laterano, on foot to a restaurant, and on foot back to their hotel, plus several other places, all on the same day?<<

Good grief, no! But the day I go to the Vatican is usually not the day I go to San Giovanni in Laterano. I don't go back to my hotel before lunch; I have lunch wherever that day's trip takes me; I have dinner near my hotel. I don't think I've ever taken more than two buses a day, and I avoid the Metro like the plague.
Nov 10th, 2007, 01:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info.

I understand that the break-even point might not be reached, but as long as its close, I like the convenience factor.

To me, even if it costs me a couple of extra Euros for the week, it's nice to be able to hop on and hop off a bus after a tired day of walking. (Also, my travel experience is that I tend to forget things -- maps, camera, directions, jacket, etc. -- from time to time and have to run back to the hotel to pick them up.)

SS
Nov 13th, 2007, 06:00 AM

I've been to Rome 6 times and 4 weeks the last 5 years. I use the buses a lot and walk a lot.
I think two Roma passes (or one Roma and one Piu) might even be a better value than the weekly bus pass.