Rome Photos Posted

Mar 23rd, 2009, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

Rome Photos Posted

Hello all,
My Rome photos taken January, 2009, the last for our Verona, Venice, Bologna, Rome trip can be seen at: www.flickr.com/photos/basingstoke2/collections

Two sets that may be of special interest to some are the ones relating to the old Jewish Quarter and the pictures of the Hotel San Francesco for those looking for a very nice, inexpensive place to stay in Travestere.
Mar 23rd, 2009, 08:59 AM

Beautiful photos! Thanks for sharing.
Mar 23rd, 2009, 09:35 AM

good eye, basingstoke...excellent framing...
YOu may wish to have my compilation of synagogues I've visited over the decades..some sort of a record, I would guess..well over 100 world-wide.(Roma included, of course.)
Can't imagine what first prize would be...LOL

[email protected]

Stu
Mar 23rd, 2009, 02:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks sherhatfield (interesting name) and tower.

Tower, do you think that you might post your life list. I can only claim 13 outside of the US, so I only have 83 to go to catch up. I think that others might find it interesting.
Mar 23rd, 2009, 03:47 PM

Those are wonderful! You beautifully captured the essence of the cities.
Mar 24th, 2009, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

thanks travel2live - that was a very nice thing to say.

I have been trying to improve my photography in recent years and hope that I have been making some progress. To that end I have been studying Ansel Adams and Stieglitz, particularly Adams' advice to visualize the shot before you take it, find where to stand, and distinguish between pictures (the usual run of the mill shooting) and photographs. Stieglitz taught to create a photograph as one would create a painting paying attention to composition, balance and color.

Mostly what I have are pictures, but occasionaly there is a photograph. If I can get a photograph or two on a trip, I am happy. I think that my particular favorite is the first of the market scene set in the Bologna collection. By the way that is a night shot taken with ambient light. I try never to use the flash.
Mar 24th, 2009, 07:00 AM

basingstoke

as I said in another thread to which you responded, if I knew how to get the list (in "My Documents") a web address, I would send the list...puzzles me...I have my pics on Picasa (Google)...any ideas? It's three pages, but I can condense it to two if necessary.

Stu T. (I'm doing some search to find your dad's Belarus hometown...I have maps of the area from 1885)
Mar 24th, 2009, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

Tower, I think it is my dad's Belarus hometown you are referring to. The reason I think the name was something like Duboi is that is how he pronounced it and he belonged to an organization of folk who immigrated to the US from the town that was called "The Young Men's Duboye Society (pronounced doo-boy-yeh." As far as I know, all of the members are now gone.

BTW, have you tried to just highlight your list and then do a copy and paste?
Mar 24th, 2009, 07:29 AM

Thephotos are just gorgeous basingstokes,,Thanks.
Mar 24th, 2009, 11:01 AM

Basingstoke: I tried your suggestion and it seemed to have worked...sorry, I have never alphabetized or columnized. Any questions, please email me at above address. If you'd like any photos, I can albumize, at least the digitals, and some of the passsable old scanned pix.

SYNAGOGUES VISITED WORLDWIDE (excluding USA and Canada)

THE FORMER USSR
Moscow
Leningrad (St. Petersburg)
THE FORMER UZBEK SSR
Bukhara
Samarkand
Tashkent
BELARUS
Brest
UKRAINE
Kiev
CHINA
Shanghai
Hong Kong 
JAPAN
Kyoto (Passover, 1947)
AUSTRALIA
Melbourne
Sydney
NEW ZEALAND
Auckland
CHILE
Santiago
ARGENTINA
Buenos Aires
BRAZIL
Rio de Janeiro
Manaus (in the Amazon!)
MOROCCO
Fes
Marrakech
Essaouira (cemetery)
Merzouga
SPAIN
Barcelona
FRANCE
Carpentras
Fontainebleu
Biarritz
Caen (Passover 2001)
St.Remy (15th c.cemetery)
Strasbourg
Colmar
Sarrebourg
Paris (several)
BELGIUM
Brussels
Antwerp
NETHERLANDS
Amsterdam
Rotterdam (Passover 1987)
NORWAY
Oslo
Trondheim
SWEDEN
Stockholm
DENMARK
Copenhagen
FINLAND
Helsinki
Turku
CROATIA
Dubrovnik
Split
BOSNIA
Sarajevo
GIBRALTAR
(2 0f 4)
ITALY
Florence
Rome
Siena
Venice
POLAND
Warsaw (Passover, 1993)
Krakow
Miedzrych (cemetery)
SLOVAKIA
Ruzemberok (ruin)
IRELAND
Dublin
Cork
NORTHERN IRELAND
Belfast
SCOTLAND
Glasgow
Edinburgh
HUNGARY
Budapest
ROMANIA
Bucharest
Birlad
Iasi (Yash)
Gura Humorului
Sighet
Satu Mare
Cluj
Brasov
Ieud (cemetery)
Radauti
Piatra Neamts
PORTUGAL
Lisbon
Castel de Vide
Belmonte
BULGARIA
Sofia
CZECH REP
Prague
Tabor
GERMANY
Berlin
Frankfurt
AUSTRIA
Vienna
MEXICO
Mexico City
Monterrey
CUBA
Havana (both synagogues)
LUXEMBOURG
Luxembourg
GREECE
Athens
Rhodes
TURKEY
Istanbul
ISRAEL
Jerusalem (several)
Tel Aviv (several)
Motza Ilit (Passover, 1979)
Herzlia
Herzlia Petuach
Ashkelon
Sfat
Yad Mordechai
Kibbutz Lavi
Ayelet Hashachar
Eilat

Notes: In all of the above cities and town, if there were several synagogues, at least one was visited. Cemeteries were visited, especially where there was no synagogue. In some cases, only the ruins of a synagogue were visible.

Stu Tower
Mar 24th, 2009, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

Wow! I didn't include synagogues in Israel in my measly list. That would bring me up to 16.
Mar 24th, 2009, 12:58 PM

basingstoke:

You'll more than catch up..you're still young...I celebrated my 80th this year by whacking out 60 baseballs at the cages.
I'll let you know when I've made an album with just the synagogues in it. I give a powerpoint lecture called "Jews Around The World"...I'm a writer of historical novels...and in my most recent, Prague, Budapest, Berlin. Vienna, all c.1904, play significant roles.

stu
Mar 24th, 2009, 03:09 PM

Basingstoke:

Welcome to DUBOY, old boy. It is at 52-degrees, 6 minutes North, 25 degrees, 47 minutes east....145 miles SSW of Minsk, and 8-10 miles west of Pinsk. Welcome to Belarus!

http://maps.google.com/maps?z=9&q=52...25.7833+(Duboy)

Stu Tower..."finder of lost synagogues and lost shtetls"
Mar 24th, 2009, 06:16 PM
Original Poster

Tower, you sound like a most interesting fellow. Thanks for finding the town - does it still exist? I like how you celebrated your 80th. Last week, we were sent a picture of my cousin Florence celebrating her 80th by going skydiving for the first time. You both give me something to shoot for.
Mar 24th, 2009, 06:36 PM

Nice pics. I'm leaving for Rome (and AC) on Saturday. Took pics there in 2005 but I've gone through 2 cameras since so hope to get more keepers this time.

Going to geotag and also play around with HDR for the interiors of St. Peter's, Pantheon, etc.

It would make things a lot easier if they'd let me use a tripod.
Mar 24th, 2009, 07:16 PM

Beautiful pictures, thanks for posting them. I was in Rome for the very first time over New Year's and stayed in the old Jewish Ghetto. Your photos bring back nice memories for me.
Mar 24th, 2009, 08:12 PM

Great photos--you have a good eye. What a beautiful city.
Mar 24th, 2009, 08:33 PM

Basingstoke:

Does Duboy exist...yes, indeed...you saw it on the map, right? I first saw it on my set of 1885 maps..then went to my shtetl webs and finally picked it up on the Belarus shtetl pages...I checked with my large set of Natl Geog maps and there it was, also. I see that you're in Washington DC...one of my books was launched in DC when I was one of the keynote speakers for the Annual International Conference of the Jewish Genealogical Society. I have another one coming out later this year, but my publishers have yet to select a "launch site"......I have a 99-year old aunt in Rockville...we were at her 90th..holding our breaths for the big 100th...amen! What part of DC are you living in?

Where to next Basing? We did nearly eight weeks of travel in '08 (Portugal, UK,in May... Russia and Belarus/Kiev in Oct-Nov)...so we're cooling it a bit until after my granddaughter's wedding in May. Got to print some more currency!

Correspond with me any time you wish. [email protected]

Stu Tower
Mar 25th, 2009, 04:12 AM
Original Poster

Tower, Yes, the map is a help and the photos that come with it help me visualize the area for the first time. I really appreciate your effort. I will contact you at your email address - I think we have much in common.

I do not live in DC but in Howard County, Maryland. Columbia to be precise.

We do not have plans yet for our next trip. I am thinking UK sans London but now my appetite is whetted for Belarus and Ukraine.