Buses from Pisa to Florence

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27th, 2009, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have booked a flight for my niece to Pisa for next year. I now realise that she is arriving on Easter Sunday 4th April and I am worried that when she arrives at 15.30 hours there will be a reduced bus service to Florence ( where she is staying that night) and she might be straded. Am I worrying unnecessarly.
Old Sep 27th, 2009, 10:41 AM

Check the rail system. There are trains back and forth between Pisa and Florence all day and into the evening.
Old Sep 27th, 2009, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, will she be able to purchase a ticket easily without a word of Italian?
Old Sep 27th, 2009, 01:51 PM

Well it might be a good idea for your niece to learn a few basic words of Italian before taking her trip, zurawski. She has plenty of time to do so. I am not sure about the Pisa train station but other train stations have the ticket machines that one can push the button and have the information in English or if she writes out the word Firenze (Florence in English) the ticket clerk should be able to know she wants a ticket to Firenze. But again, some standard words and greetings will sure help your niece while she is in Italy.
Old Sep 27th, 2009, 01:53 PM

No -- and I'm not kidding. Train ticket sellers work for the Italian state, and they are notoriously not "service oriented" like tourist businesses are. Although there are some people who work the train ticket window in the Pisa airport who speak English, you can't count on them being there on Easter Sunday.

Your niece needs to learn how to ask for a one-way ticket to Firenze.
Old Sep 27th, 2009, 02:12 PM

She will be fine if she does what Love Italy said...if she writes out the word Firenze... There will be no problem. If the ticket counter is closed the machines have English. If there is a problem there is usually someone around that will help her......or if worse comes to worse she can get on the train and buy the ticke there. We were in Germany and couldn't figure out the machine on a Sunday afternoon. No one was around. Two police came along and did it for us.
Old Sep 27th, 2009, 02:23 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
http://www.terravision.eu/pisa_price_timetable.html
Old Sep 27th, 2009, 02:24 PM

I beg to differ. First of all, handing a non-English speaking clerk a piece of paper that say "Firenze" will provoke a conversation. "Solo andata?" "Quanto?" or something even more complicated.

You can never count on a ticket machine in Italy working or being in service, or taking the change you have in your pocket.

Your niece needs to learn how to ask for that ticket. It's not hard.
Old Sep 27th, 2009, 02:29 PM

By the way, I do think the bus is a better deal, since a train from Pisa Aeroporto will involve a change at Pisa Centrale -- and if your niece is new to Italy, she'll find it less complicated not to have to figure out which track the train to Firenze is leaving from, and no chance of her boarding a train to Firenze Rifredi instead of Firenze Santa Maria Novella.

She should still understand enough Italian to buy the bus ticket. My recollection is that it is sold at the same ticket window as the train tickets in Pisa Airport, but I am not sure.
Old Sep 27th, 2009, 02:56 PM

Hello zurawski, here is the bus schedule from the Pisa Airport to the train station in Florence.

http://www.terravision.eu/pisa_price_timetable.html

It appears that the bus is scheduled 365 days a year.

Do click around on the website for good information.

Btw, I pulled this up by typing Pisa Airport to Florence on Google. You might want to do the same as there are many informative website. Best regards.
Old Sep 28th, 2009, 05:26 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
LI - I had already posted that above. It used to be Terravision was only for people that were traveling on budget airlines and you had to show proof. I no longer see that on their website, but perhaps you should double check.

I agree about the ticket machines in smaller train stations not working. There usually seems to be only one and out of order. In large stations there are quite a few and you can always find one that works.

As for changing trains, not all trains from the airport require a change, but they don't run as often. I wouldn't hang around the airport just to avoid changing trains.
Old Sep 28th, 2009, 05:42 AM

If the ticket machines don't work (as I mentioned before) you can buy a ticket on the train. They charge a little more, but if it's necessary it's worth it. If you give them a note with Firenze on it, all you have to say is "uno". I understand Zeppole lives there, but as an American traveling in countries where I don't speak the language, believe me they won't leave her stranded. I speak Italian so I don't have that problem in Italy, but I have seen and know other people who have done that and don't speak a word of Italian and they've done fine traveling. People willl help if she's having a problem. We have helped many people.

It sounds like the bus is better though.
Old Sep 28th, 2009, 10:59 AM

Very good advice given above by everyone.

The bus to Florence from Pisa Airport is actually quicker than the train to Florence, and you still end up at Santa Maria Novello station.

As you come out from customs and baggage at Pisa airport, turn right, and go along to the end, where you can buy rail tickets, and also bus tickets.

Once you have got your ticket, leave the airport building. The station is along to the right, and well marked as Aeroporto Stazione on the roof. The bus to Pisa is also to the right, but about 20m forward. Hey, I found it without problem, it has FIRENZE in big letters on the front!

Your neice will most likely be fine, but it does help to be able to speak a few basic and necessary words. She will probably be replied to in English, but the very fact that she has made the effort will stand her in good stead.
Old Sep 28th, 2009, 12:08 PM

I always find it helpful to have a basic phrase book (Berlitz or other) when visiting a country where I don't speak the language. It would explain how to ask for a one-way ticket and would be useful in many other situations (good for restaurants, shopping, for example.
Old Sep 28th, 2009, 12:16 PM

Folks,

Young women -- or women of any age -- are seldom left abandoned in Italy no matter how limited their language skills. But since the OP is concerned about the fate of her niece, telling her to write down "Firenze" and just say "uno" if the conductor or ticket seller starts speaking in Italian to her really won't do. I'm happy everybody's happy experiences of Italian flexibility and hospitality, but at a minimum, the niece -- if she is utterly unwilling to learn on sentence of Italian -- should have written down on a piece of paper more than the word "Firenze". At least write down the SIX Italian words needed to get a one-way train or bus ticket to Firenze -- (and if taking the train, do realize there are two train stations in Firenze and ask for the right one.)
Old Sep 28th, 2009, 12:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
How old is your niece? Is she traveling alone?

I agree she should learn some basic phrases in Italian before she goes, but I also think she'll have no trouble buying a train or bus ticket to Florence. She definitely won't be stranded.

P.S. If she can't figure out this first challenge, how will she manage beyond the airport?
Old Sep 28th, 2009, 01:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"Once you have got your ticket, leave the airport building. The station is along to the right, and well marked as Aeroporto Stazione on the roof."

Just to be pedantic, as you walk out of the doors of the airport, the station is on your left. It is only on your right if you turn and face the airport again.

As others have stated, there is a ticket office to the right as you exit arrivals - it sells bus and train tickets, and I have never known it manned by a non English speaker (This is in 10 or 12 trips through Pisa in the last few years). I still think learning a basic phrase is a good idea, if only to show willingness to try.
Old Sep 28th, 2009, 01:32 PM

you know, I just came through Pisa Aeroporto last week and my recollection is that these directions about "turn left" or "turn right" are incredibly off-base, since a lot of the planes pull into various parts of the terminal depending on weather and who you are flying.

And -- guess what? Last week, there was a woman sitting there who spoke English. Very good English. We talked about the wisdeom of waiting for a Eurostar to Camogli or just taking the regionale. In English.

It's a very small airport. There are signs pointing to where to buy tickets -- although they are in Italian. Your niece should not be trying to remember to turn left or right. She should learn the italian word for "tickets".