Rome or Milan Airport???

Apr 7th, 2002, 04:43 PM
Trish

Rome or Milan Airport???

We will be flying from San Francisco to Italy this October. Will be spending two weeks starting in Pienza and ending up in Bevagna, Umbria. Uncertain as to what airport would be the best to fly into, then take a train to a central location between Tuscany and Umbria and rent a car for two weeks. Since this is our first trip, we would like to find out what airport you would suggest? Many thanks

Apr 7th, 2002, 09:36 PM
Vincenzo

as your tirp in in Tuscany and Umbria, I suggest Fiumicino, the international airport of Rome.
Have a nice trip.

Apr 7th, 2002, 10:12 PM
Leslie

Agree. Rome would be easier than Milan for where you want to go. A logical location for picking up the rental car might be Orvieto or Chiusi, but I believe you would have to take the train into Rome from the Fiumicino to connect to these. You could also, easily more easily rent the car at the airport. (If you haven't been to Italy, then Rome is also a must-see destination, while Milan is not)..

Apr 8th, 2002, 10:27 PM
Chris S

I currently plan to pick up a car at Rome's international airport, and drive to Tuscany. Is it relatively easy to drive from the airport and get onto the main road to Florence? Unless traffic is hell, I'm assuming it's quicker to do that than to take a train into Rome, then another train to Tuscany, then rent a car there. But I don't want to assume the roads bypassing Rome are easy!

Apr 9th, 2002, 05:23 AM
Rex

Your assumptions are absolutely right on target. Do not go into Rome to pick up a rental car. I can't predict if there would be some (small?) savings to pick up at a non-airport location - - if you REALLY wanted to do that, you could consider train to Termini, then train to Orvieto. But would likely not save time nor money.

Best wishes,

Rex

Apr 9th, 2002, 07:42 AM
Chris S

Fear not - I would not pick up a car in Rome for all the money in the world! I've experienced hell on earth while driving in Florence, and everyone tells me that Rome is 10 times worse! Note - the problem is not so much the other drivers (I can cope with that!) it's the total inability to find your way around, given the maze of pedestrian only streets, one ways, etc.

I spent 2 hours trying to get to my central hotel in Florence, and ended up ditching the car and walking - it was only a few blocks, but the one road that seemed to take me there was being repaired! A friend suggested hiring a taxi to 'lead the way' - I think that is spectacular advice!

Apr 9th, 2002, 07:54 AM
Leslie

Chris - While I would never drive in Rome, I can tell you it was surprisingly not difficult to pick up a car at the Rome Termini to exit the city. The Avis dexk gave us excellent directions. HOWEVER, your plan to pick up the car at the airport is a good one if your plan is to bypass Rome to get to Tuscany. The autostrade is very easy to drive.

Apr 9th, 2002, 08:17 AM
m

Trish,
I rented a car for my trip to Tuscany two weeks ago. I picked it up in Rome at FCO and drove into Rome. Parking there wasn't too bad, I stayed by Piazza Narvona, and then drove all throughout Tuscany and ended up in Florence. The parking on the small cities like Pienza and Assisi are okay too, I parked outside the city walls and walked. The only problem I had was in Perugia, b/c the streets are so narrow. Get a small car! Finally, the autostrada was fine. Pull up some maps on mapquest and take the A1. It is a straight shot to Florence from Rome, about 3hrs. The roads are also very well marked, and very easy to get to the small towns, like San Gimi, Siena, Assisi, Pienza...Montepuliciano..etc. Good luck and have fun...!

Apr 10th, 2002, 07:37 PM
Trish

I thank all of you for your help. We will definitely plan on flying into Rome, hopefully in the early afternoon. We are on our way to Pienza for October 10th reservation, but will be landing October 9th, any suggestions for lodging somewhere along the way to Pienza, not to far out of Rome? As a novice, your help is greatly appreciated.