Rome on the quick with teenagers in tow

Jul 21st, 2019, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

Rome on the quick with teenagers in tow

Just back from three nights in lovely Rome. As usual, I like to sit down and write down my tips and experiences that might be helpful to others.

1. We rented a VRBO apartment in Trastevere. Brilliant! We were on the quiet side of Trastevere in a flat near Pizza Ricca on Via Genevesi. It was an enchanting, quiet area right at the door of a vibrant neighborhood of locals and tourists. We were within walking distance of many of the important sites yet were almost alone walking in the streets right around our building.

2. Taxis: We were 5 people and paid between 8-12 Euros for every trip we went. Taxis are everywhere and the competition is stiff. Although I highly support public transport, I have to admit the convenience of using taxis certainly has its advantages.

3. First day visit of Rome: We hired bikes and a tour guide and saw most of Rome within 3.5 hours. It was fun but slightly dangerous. I'd do it again in a heartbeat but it's not always for the faint-hearted.

4. Colliseum: Reserve on-line and avoid the lines. Seriously. Anything else is just asking for the self-torture of standing in line.

5. Rome in the early morning hours: YES, YES, YES. Do you want to see the magic of Rome's history and architecture without the crowds (see a pattern?) Go early in the morning. The place is yours alone.

6. Wheelchair rental: someone in our group twisted her ankle while walking and hobbled terribly thereafter. What to do? Rent a wheelchair, of course! After some hunting, I found a wheelchair rental in Trastevere that had one wheelchair still available for 10 Euros per day. This simple wheelchair provided us with the ability to see the Vatican and its museum without further ado.

6. Friday Night at the Vatican Museum: another valuable tip that will help avoid the lines and some crowds. Book on-line and enjoy! Because of our wheelchair dilemna, we were shown shortcuts to get to the Sistine Chapel by walking down the glorious passage ways of the museum usually full of people. We had all the beauty and artifacts to ourselves. Simply sublime. The twisted ankle turned out to be a stroke of luck for us and we were mesmerized and very grateful to all those who helped us at the museum.

7. Trastevere at night: Vibrant, car-free and fun, especially for the younger generation. We let our teenager girls go alone for a few hours which they enjoyed immensely.

8. Campagna Amica Market located between the Circus Maximus and the Roman Forum. It's a weekend local market selling regional food to the locals. Very few tourists but lots of wonderful samples of regional delicasies. Go if you can and do what the Romans do when they want local produce from the area. While you're in the area, check out the nearby views of the Roman Forum behind the Capital Museum.

9. Water: Lovely, flowing and very drinkable water can be found at lots of flowing historical taps all over the city.

10. Avoiding the summer heat: Yes, it was hot this weekend but we stayed in the shade during the hottest hours by either sipping drinks under large sun parasols or resting a few hours in our flat.

11. Rome dirty? I was expecting it to be much worse. Trastevere is full of graffiti but that's part of its charm. Otherwise we saw only a few overfilled trash bins and felt everything was relatively clean.

12. See Rome from the Vatican dome... just be aware that for those who are claustrophobic, it can be daunting.

So, there are my tips for Rome. Do everything you can to avoid the lines and crowds and hopefully you'll love the place like I do.

Last edited by kleeblatt; Jul 21st, 2019 at 08:19 AM.
Jul 21st, 2019, 08:15 AM

Wonderful, kleeblatt! Thanks for sharing this.
Jul 21st, 2019, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

Another tip: Google Translate!!!!! Seriously. This will help you communicate when all else fails.

Last edited by kleeblatt; Jul 21st, 2019 at 09:16 AM.
Jul 21st, 2019, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by kleeblatt View Post

2. Taxis: We were 5 people and paid between 8-12 Euros for every trip we went. Taxis are everywhere and the competition is stiff. Although I highly support public transport, I have to admit the convenience of using taxis certainly has its advantages.
If you used legal white cabs I don't understand the comment on competition. Prices are set by the city. You go to the taxi stand and get in the first car.

For groups cabs make a lot of sense.
Jul 22nd, 2019, 12:48 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Traveler_Nick View Post
If you used legal white cabs I don't understand the comment on competition. Prices are set by the city. You go to the taxi stand and get in the first car.

For groups cabs make a lot of sense.
Thank you for clarifying
Jul 22nd, 2019, 03:43 AM

Great advice! Thanks! We too stayed in Trastevere and loved every minute of it!
Aug 9th, 2019, 02:16 AM
Original Poster

Topping simply because many people have questions about Rome and they might find their answers here,