Rome on Sunday for Mass?

Search

Rome on Sunday for Mass?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2005, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome on Sunday for Mass?

Is it worth rearranging our plans to accomodate a Sunday in Rome so my husband, who is Catholic, can do Mass, see the Pope (hoping he's well), and whatever other things Catholics specifically on Sundays? Any info on the public Mass at Vatican would be appreciated.

To accomodate, we'll either have to fly a day early, do Pompeii as a day trip from Rome despite just being in Sorrento, or flip flop Florence and Rome.
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 06:31 AM

For those of the Roman Catholic persuasion there is nothing quite like attending Mass IN St. Peter's and I am certain your husband will never forget it.

I would advise going early...the "congregation" is sometimes herded into the area forward of the Bernini columns and there is limited space (those velvet ropes are put up and the rest of you get to stay behind them where the view may not be quite as good).

Given the current state of affairs the Pope will obviously not be celebrating nor in attendance. His usual blessing takes place from the window at noon time and there may very well be HUNDREDS of people waiting outside for this to occur.
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, I definitely think its worth it and we will be there bright and early! He was excited to hear.
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 07:52 AM

Don't know when you are going - but last visit we arranged to do a Scavi tour. They only have two tours a day, ten people max, and you have to have a pre-arranged appointment. It took some doing but well worth doing. You can arrange on line directly with the Vatican. We found it amazing and inspiring, you go under St. Peters, in the excavations. They have done a great job with the lighting and presentation. It is very quiet, very respectful and well worth doing. The email is [email protected] and the website that gives a lot of info is http://goeurope.about.com/cs/rome/qt/vatican_scavi.htm
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 01:14 PM

You can go through the velvet ropes up front simply by telling the usher you are attending mass. Only casual visitors are turned away.

One advantage of going to the 10:30 am mass is that when you come out of the basilica you will be in front of the crowd to stay in the square for the Pope's noon blessing if there is to be one.

Larry J
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 01:20 PM

I disagree (only slightly) with Larry. The day we went there were so many people "inside" the velvet ropes that they refused to admit others..and that is saying something in a churh as vast as St. Peter's. I would still advise you to get there early, dress appropriately (they check) etc.