Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Rome on April 25--Will it be extremely crowded? Will most restaurants and sites be closed?

Search

Rome on April 25--Will it be extremely crowded? Will most restaurants and sites be closed?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26th, 2003, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Everyone,
We are planning a trip to London, Venice and Rome for April 16-29 (13 days). Will the April 25 holiday be a problem? Thank you for your replies.
Old Sep 26th, 2003, 08:14 AM

What holiday is April 25th?
Old Sep 26th, 2003, 09:06 AM

25th April is Liberation Day, the day of freedom from the nazi-fascist regine in Italy during the WW II.
Usually on this day, and especially if it falls on a week end day, art cities like Rome, Florence, Venice, tend to be more crowded.
Old Sep 26th, 2003, 09:48 AM

The whole time between April 25th and May 1st can be very busy. The Italians "ponte" (bridge) the two holidays. We couldn't get near Assisi during that time. Places like Capri and Ischia are packed but the bigger cities are just a more crowded.
Old Sep 26th, 2003, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Traveling to Europe in the Spring is new to us. We usually travel in October when the weather is good and it is not as crowded. We can deal with the crowds for a couple of days. Do you think it would be as crowded as the summer months? We're more concerned about restaurants and sites being open. Thank you for your responses.
Old Sep 26th, 2003, 03:38 PM

We were in Rome this year that same week. It is like having two extra Sundays. Non food stores and some restaurants are closed. The citizenry of Rome is out and about, walking, eating and enjoying what should be great weather.
As an American I'm not used to this mind set. Not being able to go to Costco or Home Depot was a wonderful experience.
Enjoy yourself and don't fret about the holiday.
Old Sep 26th, 2003, 06:48 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your encouraging replies. It will be my daughter's first trip to Europe (I usually travel with my sister), and I want this trip to be special for her. I thought of going to Rome first, but I find that the air fares are lower from TPA to LGW and returning from Rome than the other way around. So when the time comes, I'll go ahead and book the flights this way. Thanks again.