Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Rome....need info? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/rome-need-info-435653/)

minnie17 May 26th, 2004 04:38 AM

Rome....need info?

Hello all. We am heading to Rome on June 1st, and will be there for 2 weeks. Everyone on this forum has been so helpful to me, in planning our trip, I want to return the favor. If anyone needs any little bits of Rome information to help with their upcoming trip,I will do what I can. We will be mostly just walking the streets for 2 weeks, so I will be happy to be your eyes, if needed.Again, thanks for all the wonderful information and advise.
minnie.

ira May 26th, 2004 04:48 AM

Very kind of you, Minnie

gman May 27th, 2004 08:00 AM

Thanks minnie, I will take you up on that.
Two things, actually. One, my wife is very hesitant about walking about the city at night, can you tell me your experiences with that? And also.. we cant decided between staying at Rezidenza Fattina (Via Frattina 104) and Hotel Santa Maria (Vicolo del Piede 2). If you happen to see them, can you give us a general opinion of them? Thanks you very much, I really appreciate the help.
gman.

BowenLinda May 27th, 2004 09:10 AM

Gman, last autumn a girlfriend and I travelled to Italy. We walked the streets of Rome (and Florence and Venice) until midnight or 1 am each night, and never had any difficulties, nor felt nervous.

Linda

ProudMom May 27th, 2004 10:56 AM

We were in Rome this week, and walked the city until very late. We didn't go for dinner until after 8:30pm each evening, and felt very comfortable. There are lots of tourists everywhere - you won't be alone!

minnie17 May 28th, 2004 08:55 AM

Hi gman.
I will let you know regarding the walk-about at night. And will track down those hotels for you and report back.
minnie.

dudi May 28th, 2004 09:35 AM

Hi Minnie! I'm going to Rome in October and if you can send a report after the trip telling what's cool there, it would be great! Thanks, dudi

ChatNoir May 28th, 2004 09:48 AM

minnie17

We are so jealous! Wow - two weeks!

Do you have a rough gameplan or list of specific places/areas you plan to hit on your daily wanderings?

minnie17 May 30th, 2004 04:22 PM

Yes, we do have a rough game plan. First, we plan on visitng the few things we missed the last time we were there..Hadrian's Villa,catacombs,Appian Way, Borghese musuem.
After that, we have our days divided into activities, by geographical areas. So we will do whatever suits our fancy on any day. (given, of course the variable opening hours of sites.)
All set to go. I will report back.
Any last requests before I go?
minnie.

ctd02 May 30th, 2004 04:40 PM

Gman - I havent stayed at the Santa Maria myself, but some one I know did and said it was great. Its in a good location, as close to most of the 'main sites' as somewhere up the Spanish Steps way. However, Trastevere is no longer a quiet undiscovered neighbourhood - there are plenty of tourists. Not that this is a problem, just in case you wanted somewhere a bit out of the way (in which case, try Aventine).

But good luck getting a booking. I tried to get a booking in Feb for a trip in May (dates flexible) and it was booked out.