Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Germany-day trip to Eagles Nest from Munich

Old Dec 15th, 2013, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking for feedback on a tour of the Eagle's Nest? Thinking of doing the tour that Rick Steve's suggests in his book. Given by David and Christine Harper. (Www.eagles-nest-tours.com). Is it worth taking the whole day? Is the cost 50 euro a good investment? My husband and I do enjoy the WWII sights and have enjoyed others.
Old Dec 15th, 2013, 09:58 AM
TAW

If you have access to a car you can do it on your own. That's what we did.
Old Dec 15th, 2013, 11:13 AM

My husband and I do enjoy the WWII sights and have enjoyed others.>

Have you been to Nuremburg - the most relics of the Third Reich being there in and around Hitler's old parade grounds where he famously reviewed goose-stepping troops - if not take a train to Nurnberg and the S-Bahn out to the grounds a few miles south of town.

If not look at this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=nurn...=1600&bih=1074

You can see the old balcony the Fuhrer stood on to review the troops - some arenas and the old now restored parade grounds - vast alleys makes of granite blocks (or is it marble?) - there is a museum on site, etc.

Well just in case you haven't seen that I would put if far above the Eagle's Nest, today a restaurant though the views Hitler loved of course are still there.
Old Dec 16th, 2013, 04:06 PM
Original Poster

We have been to Nuremburg and really enjoyed our time there!
Old Dec 16th, 2013, 08:02 PM

We used a tour company from Munich (Grey line??) and were quite happy. It was a bus and there a lot of people and the guide was a bit off-putting with her snarky remarks about the American GI's but...the site was really interesting(and cold and windy even in August), the lunch in the village was excellent and the tidbits we got from the various people at Eagles Nest were very good. I'm not a big guided tour person but have found that their personal insights are usually key add-ons to what you'd read in a book.
Old Dec 17th, 2013, 12:36 AM

In April this year, we rented a car from Munich, and drove first to the Konigsee for a short walk to the lake and around a bit, then to the Ross Panoramastrasse, from where you can drive to the Eagles' Nest if you wish. I thought it was interesting, because we got to see the "nest' from several different angles. That definitely took the whole day, but the scenery is glorious.
Old Dec 17th, 2013, 05:05 AM

I visited the nest 2 times. Once with my boyfriend on a Germany-wide trip and once with my father. It was so amazing the first time, I wished to share it with my father. Sadly the day I went with my father, it was extremely foggy and you could not see a thing. So, I would check the weather conditions before committing the hike up the mountain. (Bus-hike)

If memory serves, there is a very nice distillery on the route back to Salzburg that is definitely worth dropping in on!
Old Dec 17th, 2013, 05:26 AM

Bormann's bunker, reached from the Documentation Center beneath Obersalzberg Mountain was very interesting. The Documentation center was also. We didn't rent the head phone quide as the pictures told a thousand words themselves. I will say the hair on my neck stood up in that bunker.
You can then go up to the guesthouse.
Old Dec 23rd, 2013, 05:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the input!
Old Dec 23rd, 2013, 05:23 PM

Hi Ic12,

I agree with Cruzysuzy that weather is a very important factor when visiting Eagle’s Nest. We were advised to visit in the morning when it is usually less cloudy. The views are spectacular – think the opening scenes in SOUND OF MUSIC. The road leading to the elevator and tunnel are most impressive – the work of Italian forced labor if I recall. The building itself is not remarkable. I believe that Hitler visited there very few times because he was afraid of heights.

Agree with posters who recommend the Nazi Rally Grounds near Nuremburg – eerie to say the least. I am also a WWII history buff and enjoyed viewing these sites immensely.