Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Rome/Naples/Pompeii/Amalfi - Help with final details please!

Old Apr 10th, 2009, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone,
I am getting into some final details of our trip. I am travelling with my parents (70s) and my adult daughter. I have been inspired by Ekscrunchy's fabulous trip report to spend a number of our days in Amalfi. I have also got some much appreciated help during the planning from ekscrunchy luvtotravel, ira and others, and of course, from searching prior posts - thanks everyone! I could really use your help with some final details.

Here is our trip.

Day 1 - Rome - we are flying in and out of Rome because of FF points. - we have been to Rome before (and love it). Day 1 will be relax and have a great dinner.

Day 2 - Rome - our only must see is the Sistine Chapel - when we were here a few years ago (my parents' first trip) the Vatican was in the midst of choosing the new pope, so although we had a great and moving visit to the Vatican and the museums, the Sistine Chapel was in use so visiting not allowed.

My Mom is not leaving Rome again without seeing the Sistine Chapel! I have booked tickets to avoid the line. After that we will see whatever strikes our fancy (we had a very complete visit last time so except for SC we hit all our must sees and much more then).

Day 3 - Rome to Naples - we will take the Eurostar. In the past (in France) I have always booked at home before leaving. But based on posts here and the trenitalia site issue I think I will book once we get to Rome (either day before or day of). That way we can be also be flexible as to when we leave Rome. Does anyone see a problem with this plan? Once in Naples we will take a cab from the train to our hotel.

Day 4 - Naples - lots to see and do in Naples - the museum, pizza, pastries, etc. - will be taking lots of suggestions from prior posts. We are staying at the Renaissance Meditteraneo (on points) so if anyone has anything special right in that area I would love to hear.

Day 5 - Naples to Amalfi with a stop in Pompeii- could use some more help here. My plan is to take private car/driver (thanks eks and luvtotravel) for this. I have two things I need to figure out though.

First, what time to go, and second how long to stay in Pompeii/whether there is flexibility when with drivers.

What time to go - Our usual plan of attack is to go to things right when they open. However, in this case that would make for an early morning. We might not have done everything we want to do in Naples, and also we will have been doing a lot of sightseeing and so it would be an early morning for my parents (although they would be up for it if its best). The alternative would be to do later (either leave at 10 a.m. or so, or wait until the afternoon). On the plus side makes for a leisurely morning, on the minus side will it be horribly crowded? And also, I wouldn't want the whole time we are there to be in the beating sun/heat if that is going to be a problem (we are going in late April). I would appreciate any thoughts on this - Thanks!

How long to stay /how flexible- I know how long to stay is a really hard question to answer for someone else and I have been reading all the posts on this topic. I have asked the driver for 3 hours which I think is my best estimate right now. When we travel we do like to wander around and not feel overly rushed. We aren't tour people so won't be joining a tour (a good private guide might be an option but I am not sure). I have printed out the NYT article, which is great, but I can't believe we will be the 6 hour type. Nevertheless, I am really worried we will be there and feel rushed. Should we add on more time now? Or alternatively, how flexible are the drivers- could we stay an extra hour or so (paying for it of course) without booking that in advance?

We will end up in Amalfi at the end of the day We are staying at the Hotel Floridiana (thanks eks) and Agnese so far has been just wonderful (booking driver through her too). As we will be there for several days we aren't worried about what time we arrive.

Day 6 - 10 - Amalfi and area - we plan to take our time, relax, wander, do day trips including Capri. At this point I am not planning on scheduling from home for these things - I will take all the trip reports/suggestions and play it by ear (crazy for me not to plan, but it sounds like this will work here, and allow us to take advantage of best weather etc.).

Day 11 - Amalfi to Rome - We may use a car service (big splurge but we may find it worth it by the end of the trip). Again, I propose to wait and see to book this (again, crazy for me, the big planner, but I think we should be able to book while there, I hope!). If we did this and hadn't yet seen all the AC we could possibly ask to be driven on the coast road (?). Alternatively we will ferry/train or bus/train. Again, I am hoping it is safe to wait to book this until that week while we are in Amalfi.

Day 12 - Rome to home (so sad, but all things must come to an end).

I really appreciate any help/answers/suggestions - thanks everyone!!
Old Apr 10th, 2009, 09:29 AM

With respect to your question on length of time in Pompeii, DH and I spent about 3 hours there, I guess, and decided--after the fact--that we should have spent some more time. We were there in January, so the place was empty and we could wander in and out of whatever place we wanted. We used the audioguide, so we spent longer in some places to listen to the narrative. We're not huge history buffs either, but Pompeii is unique and wonderful.

An option for your trip from Amalfi to Rome is what we did in reverse (thanks to Steve James on this forum). Take the CITA bus to Salerno and then the train to Rome. The bus lets you out right at the train station in Salerno.
Old Apr 10th, 2009, 09:46 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Pompeii is huge (it's population was over 20,000)so even when there are many tourists, you can go to parts where you will be the only ones. If you don't want a tour, the sites are numbered and you can rent a handheld audio guide. You just punch in the number of the site and listen. Wiki has some good links/pictures for Pompeii to give you an idea of size.
Old Apr 10th, 2009, 09:55 AM

I probably missed your earlier posts so I don't know when you are actually going on your trip.

For time to arrive in Pompeii and how much time to spend it would depend on time of year. We were there end of March last year and weather was pleasant all day. But I understand that as it warms up that Pompeii can be miserably hot. It is all essentially outside and shade is very limited. So if it is into later June, July, August I would plan to be there early when at least it would be a little cooler and the sun not so high in the sky. And how much time is also related to how busy the site as you may have to wait a bit for your turn to look into or go through some of the choice parts as they are just small. The week we went was just after Easter and there were quite a few tourists but not unbearably so. We spent about 4 hours, including time for lunch.

For buying train tickets there or ahead it will probably work fine to book when you are there unless one of your travel days is on or near a big holiday weekend when transportation gets crowded and it is more likely arrangements will sell out in advance.
Old Apr 10th, 2009, 09:57 AM

We spent about 4 hours at Pompeii. This included time to eat the lunch we had brought.
Old Apr 10th, 2009, 10:08 AM

McCooper: This sounds as if it will be a dream vacation!

It is difficult to say how long you will want to be in Pompeii. I do not think it will be horridly hot in April; make certain to bring a hat and maybe something to drink.

I don't think you have to decide now. My guess is that the driver will be happy to wait longer as long as he is compensated. I would let Agnese know when you arrive at the Hotel that you are not certain how long you will want to remain at the site and that you may want another hour or so. ( I also had MB Fant's article, but we did not cover the ground that she did!) I don't think I could spend more than 4 hours there, but do remember that the site is huge, as Ky says above, and it takes a long time to walk from place to place. (Some of th surfaces are uneven so be careful and wear comfy shoes!)

I am virtually certain that you will have no problem finding a driver to take you to Rome at the last minute, if that is what you decide to do. Agnese should be a big help with this.
I thought I had a lead on a driver with a very good price but have no information yet; I will post if I hear anything. The best right now I have found in the general vicinity is 265 euro from Sorrento to Rome airport.

I think that the drivers are going to very eager to find clients now; it is early in the season and with the economy the way it is and fewer Americans traveling...even last year the drivers were complaining about the lack of Americans, who I suppose provide a big portion of their business..

I will be happy to answer any more questions as best I can..I am very excited for you!!
Old Apr 10th, 2009, 03:19 PM

You might want to consider getting the Campania Arte Card Plus - Tutta la Regione 3 day. This gets you free admission to your first two sites (you could use for the museum in Naples and Pompeii or maybe Paestum) and transportation for the area for three days. The transportation pass can be used in Naples (metro/trams/funicular/trains/buses) and the Amalfi Coast.
http://www.campaniaartecard.it/EN/Home.cfm
Old Apr 11th, 2009, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone!
artsbabe: thanks - that is a great alternative option for return to Rome - if we decide not to splurge I think that is the way we will probably go.

laurie_ann and jetsetj - thanks for sharing your experience re timing - that helps. Reading everyone I am sort of coming down on 4 hours as probably ideal for us. And good to know that I don't have to sort out the train tickets now - that gives us a chance to be flexible on when we leave Rome.

kybourbon - thanks so much for your suggestion re Wiki - I had never used it for travel info but it is quite useful - the pompeii pictures gave me a better sense of some things than the travel books. I will definitely add Wiki to my list of travel resources.

And thanks so much for your great suggestion regarding the Arte Card - I am going to have a look at that because it sounds like it may save us some money!

ekscrunchy - thanks, we are very excited too! I just love Europe and have never been to the Amalfi Coast. Your trip report was really the inspiration for that part of the trip - I can't thank you enough for sharing all of that with us!

I think that makes good sense about the driver on the return to Rome leg- we may even do better at the last minute. And we know we have good alternatives even if we can't find what we need. I am going to take your suggestion re the extra time, and send Agnese an email now telling her that we may need some extra time at Pompeii!

Thanks for the offer to answer even more questions - you have been so much help to people already - I am sure I will have more soon!
Old Apr 11th, 2009, 08:39 AM

"But based on posts here and the trenitalia site issue I think I will book once we get to Rome (either day before or day of)"
Only that you are wasting money taking the ES when you can take the local for 10e each and save appx 20+e for something else. Re Pompeii: I would go around 10-11am the first flush of crowd will be away from the ticket windows and while its always crowded they will be somewhat ahead of you and you will be better able to stop and enjoy. Its always crowded on the road down the coast so allow 1 1/2-2 hours to get there after Pompeii.
The art card is also a good suggestion but you need to see if since your renting a car it would be worth while. Here is page link.http://www.pintostorey.it/en/campani..._03en128en.htm
a hotel is sponsoring the page so the top shows hotel info scroll down. Also you can purchase in train station Kisok is at the head of the tracks just as you walk to leave station. As I recall its open sorta 9-5 with lunch break.The packet has maps, some discount coupons etc.
Old Apr 11th, 2009, 09:03 AM

I just did the trip, flying in and out of Rome, train to Naples (regular IC for about 15 Euro, not Eurostar), then Circumvesuviana to Sorrento.

Day trips to Amalfi, Ravello and Positano on the SITA bus.

Really at most a couple of hours on each Amalfi Coast town seemed enough. Beautiful although not as clear blue as it will be in the summer.

Went to Pompeii and Herculaneum on separate days, spent about 5-6 hours in Pompeii and only about 2-3 hours in Herculaneum (you can buy a cumulative ticket for 20 Euro to cover both and 3 other sites which can be used over 3 days versus 11 Euro each for Pompeii and Herculaneum).

Then spent 2 nights in Capri. Now that's spectacular, much more so than the Amalfi Coast, to my eyes. I will admit though that I liked Ravello but didn't go to the Villa Rufolo or Villa Cimbrone because it was overcast and rained on and off.
Old Apr 11th, 2009, 09:23 AM

Taking cheaper trains takes longer (ES/AV 1hr20min v R 2hr20min) so you might consider what's more valuable to you on vacation.
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 12:04 PM

scrb, off topic question, did you notice whether the cafe inside Pompeii ruins was open? It was closed in Feb on the days we were there and I was wondering if it had opened again.
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 05:17 PM

I didn't even see a cafe inside. I didn't specifically look.

I ended up going out the Amphiteater gate and getting something to eat there.