Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Rome Marriott Grand Hotel Flora (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/rome-marriott-grand-hotel-flora-570970/)

captainmoroni Nov 14th, 2005 06:16 PM

Rome Marriott Grand Hotel Flora

We are considering the Marriott for our stay in Rome. Any thoughts on its quality, location, etc? Thanks!!!

Cicerone Nov 14th, 2005 10:01 PM

This is a lovely hotel, in a nice location on the Via Veneto. It is well-maintained, new bathrooms, etc. I have stayed in about half a dozen of their rooms, most are a good size, be sure to ask about room size, esp for two people, a few room are small. Be sure to go up onto the roof to get a really excellent view of Rome and the seven hills. The hotel is near the Borghese Gardens which is nice as well. Best Bellini's in Rome, IMO, they use fresh peach juice. I prefer to be in the Spanish Steps area, but this location is really not inconvenient, just a little less walkable to some sights, unless you don't mind a longish walk; esp back from sights, as it is a bit uphill. I would ask for a room on a high floor to keep street noise down, rooms on the Via Veneto are going to be a bit noisier as well.

Woody Nov 15th, 2005 08:46 AM

Cicerone,

Thank you for the helpful information. How long is the walk from he nearest subway station to the hotel? Is the route safe to walk with a carry-on bag? (We pack very light.) Thanks.

Woody

Cicerone Nov 15th, 2005 05:01 PM

I couldn't tell you where the nearest subway stop is, have you looked at the hotel's website or looked for a map of Rome on the internet or in guidebook or library? It would be quite safe to walk this neighborhood with a bag, its an upscale neighborhood, I would assume the same could be said of the subway, I would take the normal precautions one would take in any city with regard to public transportation and handbags/luggage.

DRJ Nov 16th, 2005 05:36 AM

My guess the nearest Metro stop is Spagna, and its quite a hike. However, at the head of the via Veneto is an entrance to an underground walkway direct to Piazza di Spagna (convenient in rainy weather). There is also a supermarket along the way in the tunnel.

Voyager2006 Nov 16th, 2005 05:55 AM

DRJ is correct about the Spanish Steps stop on the metro being the nearest one and the underground walkway complete with escalator.

I am purprosely topping this for you so we can hear from ALL sides on this major issue of hotels in Rome. Personally, I like the Via Veneto area and its surrounds. You will find it to be somewhat quieter than other parts of the city and the Flora is close enough to the Borghese Gallery and the Zoo area for a pleasant walk.

When people say it isn't in the middle of things they are right and there are some of us who are glad that it isn't. I hope you enjoy your stay there.

Woody Nov 16th, 2005 07:18 AM

Cicerone, DRJ, and Voyager,

Thank you ALL for the excellent information. It is very helpful as we plan our trip to Rome.

I picked the Marriott Grand Hotel Flora because we can use Marriott points to stay seven nights for free.

It sounds like it is in an ideal location for our tastes. We don't mind walking, and would enjoy staying in a quieter upscale area. We will be sure to try the bellini's, the rooftop view, and visit the supermarket. Thanks again.

Woody

wliwl Nov 16th, 2005 09:33 AM

Using points is good, but Via Veneto wouldn't be my first choice for a place to stay. It felt, I don't know, too fancy schmancy for my taste. Almost a business traveler area. I loved the Campo de Fiori area - it felt older, more genuine, and more in the thick of Rome.

Voyager2006 Nov 16th, 2005 01:01 PM

I strongly suspect that even those with the MOST difficult problem with "too fancy" could very eagerly overcome that with a free place to stay!