Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Rome - March or May? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/rome-march-or-may-755620/)

marigny Dec 30th, 2007 12:54 PM

Rome - March or May?

Hi all. Am planning a spring trip. I am in the early stages of research and am wondering about differences in Rome between March and May? We'll probably go for about 10-12 days, spending most of the time in Rome, with maybe one other stop. Airfare is a little cheaper in March, but am wondering if anyone has experiences at both times?

Also, it will be my first trip to Italy, though GF has been to Florence. Am thinking about 6-7 days in Rome, then maybe 3 in Bologna, Palermo, or maybe somewhere along the Almalfi Coast (my family is from Sicily, and my last name is Bologna, hence the first two choices!).

Does the amount of time in Rome, plus one short trip elsewhere seem about right? We generally do not try to see everything, as we like to sleep in, and wander around a bit rather than rushing to many sites each day. We also take the approach we can probably go back someday if we really like the place we are visiting.

Again, I am early in my research but would appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks!
marigny

Carolina Dec 30th, 2007 01:05 PM

May would be much nicer. Rome isn't particularly warm in March, and it's not great walking round in the rain (which is highly likely). I went to Rome in mid June a few years ago. It was rather hot but tolerable. May would be just about perfect.

Carolina Dec 30th, 2007 01:13 PM

Hi again,
When I visited Rome, I stayed for 5 nights and then moved on to the Sorrento area for 3 nights. (After this we went on to Greece for the main part of our trip). I found 5 nights in Rome about right as we didn't try to see everything and what we did see we did at a relaxed pace. We basically went to the Colosseum, Piazza Navona, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, The Vatican and the Sistine Chapel. My husband also visited the Roman Forum while I went for icecream with our children. We spent a lot of time just wandering about exploring.
After Rome, we stayed at Pompeii but if we could have afforded it we would have picked Sorrento. We visited Sorrento from Pompeii for a day and also spent a day exploring Pompeii itself. I have been to the area before, so no need to rush for us.
Sorrento is a good base because from there you can easily get to most of the Amalfi Coast, Capri, Ischia, Pompeii etc.
I would suggest a few days in Rome, then onto Sorrento and back to Rome for your last night (if you are flying back home from Rome). I would save Bologna for a future trip and probably combine that with Venice.

tedgale Dec 30th, 2007 01:22 PM

I am heading to Rome this March -- we went to Rome in March in each of the past 3 years, too.

We live in Ottawa, Canada, so when we leave it is winter and when we return at the end of March, it is the beginning of spring! That is a large part of the appeal for us.

We have had overcast weather sometimes but we have also had wonderful springlike sunshine. Average high temperature about 15 degrees -- mild enough to sit outside on a terrace. And the climatic contrast to home makes it all worthwhile -- I would never willingly leave home (esp. our lakeside cottage) once the good weather arrives.

Just a contrary view from a winter-holiday enthusiast.

By the way, we always rent an apartment and a FEW places in Rome do offer off-season rates in March.

In 2007, we got an additional 25 percent of the low season rate for a great terraced apartment (we rented through vrbo.com) near the Piazzale Flaminio/ Piazza del Popolo.

roadlesstraveled Dec 30th, 2007 01:31 PM

Hi marigny

I spent 9 days in Rome this past March, arriving on March 13. The first 4 days were gorgeous – sunny and warm and perfect for sitting in a piazza with a glass of wine and people watching. The next day the weather changed dramatically – rain, wind and hail. I traveled through Italy for 3 weeks total and the weather was mostly overcast with occasional rain.

I traveled to Italy for 3 weeks in late March and early April in 2006 and the weather was mostly sunny and nice. You can never predict the weather.

Although I find May to be one of my favorite travel months for Europe, I am glad I visited Italy in March. When I read reports on this site about how dirty, hot and crowded Italy is, it does not match my experiences at all.

I am sure you will have a wonderful time in Italy in either March or May.

metre Dec 30th, 2007 02:03 PM

Hi. I would recommend going to Rome in May. I went to Rome in May 2007 for 6 nights and had great weather the whole time. 6-7 days seems to be a good amount of time to spend in Rome. I would definitely suggest you go to the Galleria Borghese when you are there.

amyb Dec 31st, 2007 04:47 AM

I've been to Italy three times in March and twice in May.

March: Amalfi Coast, Florence (twice) and Rome. Beautiful weather, 60s on the AC, 70s and no coats in Rome (but it snowed there 3 days after we got home!). Absolutely no crowds anywhere but the Vatican Museums. Pompeii, Capri and Sorrento were comfortably nearly empty.

May: Tuscany bike tour, Florence, Pisa, Venice. I had really nice weather in May except for one day of rain. It was cooler in Venice than I expected, but no rain. Florence and Pisa were significantly more crowded than I cared to experience.

For me the biggest differences were the price of airfare and hotel, which were better in March, and the lack of crowds, also better in March. If I were to go again and had to pick, I'd probably go in March!

vincenzod Dec 31st, 2007 06:16 AM

May, no doubt, please !

Vincenzo

highflyer Dec 31st, 2007 06:17 AM

Easter is in March 2008 so consider if this will affect your trip.
Rome will be more crowded over Easter weekend.
Weather in both months is variable according to records but I've only been to Italy in Feb and Nov (both times weather was mild with temps in the 60s).

I'd choose early May unless the airfare difference was significant.

ciaolaura Jan 4th, 2008 06:03 PM

My vote is also for May, although you most assuredly won't find many deals on airfare, like the ones available now through March.

Vttraveler Jan 5th, 2008 04:04 AM

Odds are definitely in your favor for good weather in May
Our family spent a week in Rome late Feb/early March 2007 and had wonderful weather -- mostly days in the 70's, sunny, with only a few rain showers. This was not what we were expecting at that time of year and was a wonderful break from a long Vt winter.

My husband and I spent 5 days of Holy Week in Rome about 30 years ago and found it very interesting and very crowded. I can only assume it is much, much more crowded now. There were also some very hot days for that time of year (early April) and that made sightseeing harder.

As for length of stay I think 6 to 7 days in Rome is reasonable. You could easily spend all your time based there with day trips or an overnight, but a week is a good length of time for a first visit.

nytraveler Jan 5th, 2008 09:33 AM

May.

Longer days, sights open more hours, better weather and prettier countryside.

GiuliaPiraino Jan 9th, 2008 01:50 PM

It's funny everyone says it's not hot in May in Italy, but we were there at the end of May and we found it quite warm, on the edge of discomfort. Who knows, maybe they were having a heat wave. I prefer March, less tourists, JMO.

annhig Jan 9th, 2008 02:05 PM

Hi marigny,

How nice to read an itinerary that doesn't involve a "newbie" trying to squeeze the whole of Italy into a week. your idea of 2 places in 10-12 days is a very sensible one - after all, Italy will still be there another time.

personally, I'd pick May - it should be warmer, and given that easter falls in March, less busy. we were in Rome just after easter in 2006, and the crowds were quite overwhelming at times.

i don't think you've really got enough time to fit in Bologna, Rome and teh amalfi coast, and Bologna is not exactly adjacent to Rome. it is adjacent to Venice of course.

if you wanted to do all 4, and could manage another 2 days or so, you could fly into Venice, train to Bolgna, train to Rome, train to Naples [for amalfi coast] and fly home from Rome. Just a thought. [and contradicting what i said to begin with of course!]

happy planning,

regards, ann

overplanner Jan 9th, 2008 02:22 PM

We went to Rome in March of last year and the weather was fantastic, temperature in the high 50s. We had overcast for a couple of days but no rain and no crowds. We are headed back to Italy again this March because we enjoyed the temperature and lack of crowds so much.

GiuliaPiraino Jan 10th, 2008 08:13 AM

Overplanner, can I just say how much I love your screen name? It made me smile as I also suffer from this - LOL!

overplanner Jan 11th, 2008 11:57 AM

Thanks GP - I have a chronic problem, no doubt. You should have seen me planning my wedding three years ago!

Joley Jan 11th, 2008 01:53 PM

Rome is crowded not only Easter weekend, but also for a good week both before and after Easter. We spent 3 nights in Sorrento and took day trips to Capri, Pompeii, and Herculaneum. I highly recommend them all.

marigny Mar 10th, 2008 06:42 PM

So we've decided on May, mostly based on when we can get away from work. We haven't yet reserved flights but are probably going to go May 15-25th. Assuming we leave on the 15th and fly overnight, that gives us 9 nights (we do have the option of leaving a day early and stretching the trip to 10 nights).

I've tried to read up on places to go besides Rome, but don't know the country well and am a little overwhelmed. I know we want to spend 5-6 nights in Rome, then would like to go somewhere else for 2-3 nights, before returning to a hotel near the airport the last night.

We are also leaning towards not renting a car, and therefore, traveling to another destination by train. My girlfriend has expressed interest in Pompeii and/or the Amalfi Coast. Would either of these be accessible by train from Rome, easy to get around on foot once there, and
a good choice for a 2-3 night excursion? Other suggestions for laid back 2-3 day side trip?

As mentioned in my original post, we are not the do-it-all kind of people. We like to relax, see some sights, and eat well.

Thanks!
marigny

Dayle Mar 11th, 2008 08:27 AM

Hi marigny,

You're going to love bella Italia, just like the rest of us!

If you absolutely don't want to do a car, I would either train to Florence or Venice for the 3 days.

If you want to do Amalfi coast area, make it 4 days.

If you are willing to rent a car and enjoy spectacular scenery, food and wine - go to Tuscany or Umbria. May is gorgeous!

Buon viaggio!