Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Rome lodgings-am I unrealistic? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/rome-lodgings-am-i-unrealistic-59947/)

Denise Jan 14th, 2000 11:57 AM

Rome lodgings-am I unrealistic?

We are taking our 13 year old son to Rome in April during Easter week and am trying to get a hotel. Is it unrealistic to get a nice hotel in a good location for under $200.00 a night. Preferably $150.00 a night or less would be preferred. I would appreciate any hotel recommendations. Thanks in advance. <BR> <BR>Denise

Rex Jan 14th, 2000 01:17 PM

I predict that you CAN still find something. A key to this kind of search in a high-demand situation is to try reserving the best combination (price, location and features) you can find, and then move closer to your target in decreasing circles. - - In other words, maybe you initially find a price and features you can live with, but the location is somewhat far out. Then focus on a better location, trying to hold close to the same features and price. And then once you find a location, try to find a better price in a similar location, etc. <BR> <BR>www.italyhotel.com has been in my experience of nearly a dozen reservations highly reliable, accurate and dependable - - not only for inquiries and reservations - - but for cancellations as well (perhaps the most important test of a web-based service). <BR> <BR>You're going to have to simply go there (you have to register, but it's free) and start hunting and pecking. <BR> <BR>Best of luck, <BR> <BR>Rex

howard Jan 14th, 2000 02:20 PM

Rex, you may be more optimistic than the reality. At least, that's my conclusion after reading an article in today's USA Today, which does not paint a very optimistic picture for those planning to go to Rome this year. <BR>"An unexpected influx of pilgrims in the first days of the Jubilee year caused serious logistical snags and prompted doubts about the city's ability to welcome a large wave of tourists in 2000," reads the lead paragraph. <BR>The article goes on to say, "Many described the first weekend of 2000 as a humiliating transportation debacle." The Italian government now estimates that the number of tourists will nearly double this year (from 14 million to 26 million). <BR>The article adds: "Experts say visitors also should adopt a pragmatic attitud....[and] avoid Romes' city center and reserve hotel rooms either in the suburbs or on the coast and commute on a daily basis by train." And, of course, Easter week is expected to be one of the peak weeks. <BR>I'd say, certainly follow Rex's advice, but you may have to settle for less than what you wanted!

Maira Jan 15th, 2000 03:28 AM

Denise--- if it comes down to staying a bit off the center of Rome's main sights, I recommend the Sheraton. we took advantage of the Entertainment Book (let me know if you are not familiar with this discounts book) and booked a double at the Sheraton at 50% of the regular price. Spacious, very comfortable rooms, van transportation back and forth from/to the Capitoline Hill area every hour on the hour. Excellent buffet breakfast included. Great, courteous staff. Train station nearby, if choose to use it.

Denise Jan 15th, 2000 06:33 AM

I have been calling a few hotels. Some are higher than I really wanted to spend. Researched on this site and found the Hotel Smeraldo which was recommended by many. The price was in our range (150.00), so I booked it. The thing that kills the budget is the triple. Much more than a double. My son better not <BR> give me any grief! <BR>Thanks to all, <BR>Denise