Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Rome - Likely a stupid question or two on ruins

Rome - Likely a stupid question or two on ruins

Aug 2nd, 2007, 04:21 AM
Original Poster

Rome - Likely a stupid question or two on ruins

I've been to Rome four times and have never walked through Trajan's Markets. But in researching for our next trip in November I'm seeing that there are paid tours available which makes me believe I could probably get in there myself. I've done some research and all that I can find are amazing pictures of the market...nothing about how I get in them or what their hours are. Can anyone help me out?

Also, are the Baths of Caracalla interesting to see and, if so, where are they located in relation to some of the other 'big' sites in Rome?
Aug 2nd, 2007, 04:52 AM

As far as Trajan's Markets, we walked around the whole area, I don't think I would have paid for a tour.
The Baths of Caracalla are not too far from Circus Maximus and, IMO, the most beautiful ruins in Rome. Very impressive even from the outside.
Aug 2nd, 2007, 05:04 AM

The Baths of C are worth seeing. We walked from the Aventine hill area (go there to see the view of St Peter's through the keyhole in a gate) which was a long walk and we approached the Baths from the wrong side and it was another very long walk to the entry. When we were ready to leave we were told it was not possible to get a taxi from the Baths but the nearest place to get one would be the Colisseum. We opted for a bus. Have not seen Trajan's Markets. If you have not seen the Protestant Cemetary you may want to consider a trip out there--it is beautiful and really a garden. Nearby you can see the Pyramid and parts of the original Roman walls.We also will be in Rome in November (mid).
Aug 2nd, 2007, 05:25 AM
Pausanias

The entry to Trajan's markets is on the Via IV Novembre. If you are looking into the markets with Trajan's Forum behind you, turn to your left and walk along the Via Alessandrina, then turn right and climb the stairs on the Via Magnanapoli. You'll see the entrance on the right. I don't think you'll need a guide.

Search this Thread