Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Rome/Italy in October - Purchased Tickets Impulsively (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/rome-italy-in-october-purchased-tickets-impulsively-942534/)

davispeets Jul 12th, 2012 09:43 AM

Rome/Italy in October - Purchased Tickets Impulsively

I got an email alert on a price drop for San Francisco to Rome this morning and I purchased the tickets - $856 each. This is so totally unlike me. I usually have analysis paralysis!

October 7 to 23 on British Airways via Heathrow

15 nights Rome, Perugia, ??-- oh my!

So much to research now....

Off to read the forum posts.

bobthenavigator Jul 12th, 2012 09:45 AM

Good for you !

ReadyToGo586 Jul 12th, 2012 09:57 AM

Congrats!!!!!! Ill be there a couple weeks end of Sept- October as well!!

davispeets Jul 12th, 2012 10:08 AM

Thanks Bob!

Your posts were such a help when we last went to Italy 2005. We stayed at San Quirico at the Palazzo del Capitano - which was fabulous- as a result of your recommendations.

Ready to go - I now need to get ready to go!

indy_dad Jul 12th, 2012 10:47 AM

Some info and photos if that helps

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...log-photos.cfm

Jean Jul 12th, 2012 11:38 AM

If you haven't explored Umbria, be sure to see more than Perugia.

ekc Jul 12th, 2012 11:39 AM

Dave, what sight did you use to sign up for email alerts? I just decided to go back to the A/C next June, so I need to start watching airfare.

Congrats and happy planning!

davispeets Jul 12th, 2012 11:53 AM

EKc - it was airfare watchdog

Www.airfarewatchdog.com

zoecat Jul 12th, 2012 11:59 AM

It looks like there are some good deals right now. I just found some excellent fares with great schedules for Sept/Oct on itasoftware.com. Spokane to Florence RT for under $900. That's about $200-$300 less than I had been previously seeing for the same RT.

Now I just need to get the time off of work.

zoecat Jul 12th, 2012 12:15 PM

Wow- I just found a RT Spokane to Venice in Oct for $837! I haven't seen that low a price in years.

Now I just need figure out how to take a leave of absence to enjoy all this time in Italy. I'm not even going to look at flights to France.

davispeets Jul 12th, 2012 12:22 PM

Yay Zoecat

Hope you find something! I also use the ita software -- Love it. Used it to verify the email price alert and see if there was anything better.

I thought it was a great price from the west coast which is why I pulled the trigger.

zoecat Jul 12th, 2012 03:03 PM

davispeets,

In my excitement, I forgot to thank you for your post.

Thank You!

Your post reminded me to check flights today. I'm so glad I did.

Enjoy your trip!!!

joannyc Jul 12th, 2012 04:56 PM

Great fare! Congrats! Enjoy your trip!!!

1slandHopper Jul 12th, 2012 05:08 PM

i just made an impulsive purchase of philly to athens...$605 on US Air! love nights like these!

davispeets Jul 12th, 2012 08:27 PM

Wow!

Joannyc to Spain (I just watched The way with Martin Sheen) 1islandhopper to Athens and Zoecat did you buy your tickets to Venice too?

I was so discouraged earlier In the year with tickets in the $1500 price range.

joannyc Jul 12th, 2012 08:54 PM

davispeets, I loved The Way... couldn't wait for it to come out!

This year I'm doing "central" Spain. Plan on doing northern Spain next year which will include part of the Camino and certainly Santiago de Compostela!

Following year will be the northeastern and some of the eastern region of Spain!

Already have been to Andalucia.

I, too, was getting pretty discouraged seeing this year's prices. Thought that I was going to have to fly with Iberia or Air Europa! Yuck!!!! Delta's not fabulous but those airlines are horrendous from what a Lufthansa employee tells me.

Bought my ticket JFK > MAD > JFK last night. Yesterday morning, it was $895. Last night, it was $725 so I jumped on it. Been following it for months! Flying Delta metal non-stop roundtrip.

Enjoy your trip!

Julie49 Jul 12th, 2012 09:32 PM

Congratulations on finding some great airfare deals. If you don't mind tell me about ita software. Are you using it on your personal computers or it this software found typically in industry? To have access does an indiidual need to buy membership? etc.

also, if anyone finds a deal RDM (Redmond/Bend Or) to VRN (Verona) let me know please. The best I'm finding is around $1100 ....

Great adventures and better fare finding to all,

joannyc Jul 12th, 2012 09:47 PM

Julie49,

www.itasoftware.com

joannyc Jul 12th, 2012 09:49 PM

Sorry...

Then click on the Airfare Search link

Julie49 Jul 13th, 2012 05:35 AM

THANKS!