Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Rome, Italy: Daytrip to Capri (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/rome-italy-daytrip-to-capri-430191/)

minnieme May 10th, 2004 01:16 PM

Rome, Italy: Daytrip to Capri

My husband and I are leaving for Rome a week from today. We are staying in Rome near the Spanish Steps. We would like to take a day trip to Capri. We are interested in hiring a driver or looking for suggestions. Is it too far to do in one day? Our hotel is paid for and it's a 5 star, so we really don't want to shell out more money to stay overnight in Capri when we already have the room. Any suggestions?

Weadles May 10th, 2004 01:42 PM

I'd recommend staying overnight in Capri if at all possible. It's a very long daytrip from Rome ( about three hours: two and a half to Sorrento, dpending on seasonal traffic, then another half an hour on the hydrofoil to Capri) and weather conditions ( wind, rough water) can cancel or delay the ferries/hydrofoils. We've had it happen!

If none of the above bothers you, sure you can do it. It just makes for an exhausting day!

BATUFFOLINA May 10th, 2004 02:08 PM

I agree with Weadles: it takes about 3 hours or more to go from Rome to Capri, same for the return. Capri is such a beautiful island that it should be enjoyed at least for a full day, not in a hurry because you must go back to Rome... You wouldn't enjoy it fully...
However if you really want to do it, I suggest that you leave from Rome at least around 5-6 am, so you can be to Capri around 10-11am, spend some hours there (get a tiny cab for a tour of the island, the drivers can be your guide, they are locals, they deal with tourists every day so they know info of the island), and at about 6 pm start your way back. If you are lucky you will be in Rome at about 10.

dertravelmeister May 10th, 2004 02:30 PM

Many years ago while staying in Rome, we took a package daytrip to Capri and back - bus to Naples, hydrofoil to Capri, ferry to Sorrento, and bus back to Rome - a very long day. However, it was all the time we could devote to Capri, but nonetheless it has always been a very memorable experience. If we were to do it again as a daytrip, I think your idea of a car to Sorrento would be my preference instead of including Naples. Car to Sorrento, ferry to Capri (Blue Grotto & a nice lunch on a terrace restaurant with a view), ferry back to Sorrento with a couple of shoping stops thrown in and then a car back to Rome for wine at your 5-star hotel followed by dinner at a local restaurant - relishing the memories of the day.

minnieme May 10th, 2004 03:09 PM

Thank you both for your great ideas. We have no choice but to do it one day. But, it helps to know from those whom have done it that it is possible as a daytrip. (If I had my way, I'd stay two nights in Capri....but financially it doesn't make sense.) Thanks....Any ideas how much a driver may cost, I guess I'll go through my concierge?

minnieme May 10th, 2004 03:10 PM

I meant thanks all three of you!

BATUFFOLINA May 10th, 2004 03:28 PM

I know Renato Cuomo from www.cuomonet.it who is quite a reliable driver. Renato Cuomo has received good reviews either here if I am not wrong and in Frommer's forum.
I spoke with Annalisa once (Renato's daughter) and she wrote this to me (I copy and paste her email, it is in italian but it is understandable):

Tariffs :

Con Mercedes Sedan da 1 a 3 persone.
Con mini van mercedes fino a 6 persone.

-Transfer da Roma a Sorrento /Amalfi coast
Sedan Euro 300; Mini van Euro 350.

- Transfer da Napoli aeroporto o stazione a Sorrento/Amali coast
Sedan Euro 70; Mini van Euro 90.

- Escursioni full day Pompei, Sorrento, Positano, Amalfi Ravello etc.
Sedan Euro 230; Mini van Euro 300.

Tutti i servizi vengono effettuati con autista che parla inglese.

Renato Cuomo.
--

Cuomo Renato
Limousine Service Sorrento - Italy
Mobile number: (0039)3391612081 - Office: (0039)0818023037
Fax. (0039)06233208879
Visit my Website @ www.cuomonet.it

It is a generic price idea and I strongly suggest that you send them an email in english for a price inquiry and they will answer promptly

minnieme May 10th, 2004 04:07 PM

Thank you, I emailed them already! You all are such a great help! This is the best way to get travel questions answered!

Weadles May 11th, 2004 04:34 AM

I would not recommend going through the hotel concierge, since it's typically more expensive.

From personal experience, I can highly recommend Giovanni Gargiulo, who is based in Sorrento. He can be reached on his cell at: 3387306575, or via e-mail at: tourofitaly.com.

I found out about him through other posters here on the forum, and have used him and sent friends to him several times over the last five years. He is a charming and reliable driver!

Have fun!

Weadles May 11th, 2004 06:05 AM

mimmieme,

I don't know why this didn't occur to me earlier, but for the cost of a day trip by car to Capri, you really might as well try to stay overnight! Is there any way you could rework your plans?

The only cheaper alternative, would be to take the train to Naples, then the hydrofoil from Naples to Capri, but that just adds on to your travel time.

Anyway, good luck with your plans!