Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Rome Info (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/rome-info-449415/)

blondiepopo Nov 2nd, 2008 11:03 AM

Rome Info

Going to Rome on Wednesday. Have a few questions. We staying by the Piazza de Paradiso in Campo di Fiori:

Where's the nearest Internet cafe or WiFi?

Are there ATM's nearby?

What is the charge to get into the Forum, Colosseum, and the Vatican?

Isn't there a way to get tickets ahead of time so you don't have to stand in long lines for the Colosseum?

We want to go to Pompeii. We don't have reservations on the train because we don't know what day. Will this be a problem if we don't? How do we get to the train station from our apartment location? After we get to Naples, how do we get to Pompeii?

Noticed the weather is about 70-50's and rainy. I live in the desert so can't gauge how warm/cold that will be in Rome. Will we need long sleeves/jacket or will short sleeves get us by?

ekscrunchy Nov 2nd, 2008 11:20 AM

I would not want to walk around in 50F-degree, rainy weather with short sleeves!

I hope you get lots of answers. But maybe you could do some of your own research here on this site; the questions about Pompeii, the Vatican, the Forum, etc have been asked--and answered--dozens and dozens of times. You do not need train tickets in advance.

Connie Nov 2nd, 2008 11:47 AM

There are a couple of ATM's and an internet cafe on the main east west road going through the area--I think it is Corso Vittorio Emanuele II.

Go to the Palatine Hill entrance and get a ticket. It covers the Colosseum too and never has much of a line. Then go back out of the ticket booth and walk to the Colosseum--very short walk. Walk along the left side of the long line all the way until you get to the turnstiles. It won't look like you can but no one will stop you.

I don't remember the cost of any of them. We took a Vatican Tour. I'm not much of a tour person but this is one place that tours are worth while--for getting around lines and learning much more about what you are seeing.

nytraveler Nov 2nd, 2008 05:01 PM

No - short sleeves will not do. For 50 and rainy you need a long-sleeve shirt, a sweater and some sort of rain jacket or coat. Also a sturdy folding umbrella and shoes that are water resistant (not boots - but shoes that won't let in water if you step in a puddle).

For prices at various places look at destinations or google the site.

For Pompeii you take the local train on from Naples. It's a fairly long trip and you should plan on catching the earliest train from Rome in the morning - like 7 am.

adrienne Nov 2nd, 2008 05:14 PM

If you live in the desert you won't be used to damp weather. 50s and damp will feel a lot colder, especially when you'll be outside walking around all day. I suggest bringing gloves and a warm skarf as well as what was mentioned above. A fleece vest would also be nice, they're light weight and don't take up much room in the suitcase. Also pack some warm trousers.

bratsandbeer Nov 2nd, 2008 06:52 PM

Just came back from Rome. Think it was around 9 or 10 Euro for the Forum and Colesium together.
The Vatican Museum was 14Euro. Think this was the amount.

If you live in the desert than this will be cool for you. Depending on what desert, it could be about what you have in the winters on the desert. Cool and rainy. But you will be doing a lot of walking outside so I would take a sweater and a jacket or raincoat.