Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Rome in winter (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/rome-in-winter-437184/)

qzseattle Sep 20th, 2008 06:49 PM

Rome in winter

Hello,

I am planning to visit Rome at the end of November. How is the weather at that time? Is the winter too harsh? How is the street life? Is it still active? I wouldnt want to end up in a ghost town where streets are deserted and businesses are closed.

Thanks for your advice.

J62 Sep 20th, 2008 07:11 PM

I've been to Rome in the winter before and was underdressed. Only had a fleece jacket and wish I had warmer clothes, hat, gloves for cold evenings. That was in January though, actually in the winter. November isn't typically what I'd call part of the harsh winter.

The city is lively all year round. There won't be as many outdoor markets, but it's not just a tourist town.

tuscanlifeedit Sep 20th, 2008 07:18 PM

qzseattle: I have been to Rome several times and never seen it deserted. It is a bustling city. While the street life may not be the same at the end of November as in warmer months, there will always be plenty of people about.

Outdoor markets operate year round. The same for flea markets.

You may want to do some reading to familiarize yourself with Roman hours, business hours, etc. Stores are open on schedules that are quite different from those in the US (I see the "seattle" in your screenname, so forgive the assumption).

You can find historical weather records for Rome on the internet, to see what average temperatures and rainfall are like at the end of November.

Rome doesn't have harsh winters, at least not by my standards. I live in Western Pennsylvania, and winter in Rome is not what I call winter.

I've seen some really cold temps in other parts of Italy during the winter months, but not in Rome.

LaurenKahn1 Sep 20th, 2008 09:29 PM

I went to Rome over Christmas on a home exchange a few years back. It rained every day for the first 10 days of the trip. We had nice weather for the last few days, but I predictably came down with a cold.

Would I go again? Sure. Just understand that you might be doing indoor activities because the outdoor ones will be wet.

bozama Sep 20th, 2008 11:53 PM

I have only been to Rome twice, both in summer, once in July, once in August..

I would LOVE to go to Rome in the winter,, not so crowded hot and nasty,, but I know it would never be deserted,,it is a year round destination for those who love art or history.

Motorino Sep 21st, 2008 04:47 AM

November is glorious in Rome. Romans desert the city in August from the heat, not in November from the beautiful fall weather.

Although Rome is on the same line as say Newport RI, the Mediterranean breeze keeps it warm, like southern California. There are no palm trees in New England, but they are in Rome.

Great time of year to enjoy Rome!

nona1 Sep 21st, 2008 04:55 AM

Rome is not a theme park.

It is Italy's capital city with a total population of over 4 million. So, no, even in winter, it is never a deserted ghost town.

Weather too harsh? Too harsh for what? It's only November, not middle of winter, and most touristy stuff is ok in any weather if you've got the right clothing. Anyway, if you come from Seattle as your name suggests, Wiki shows that Rome is on average slightly warmer than there in November.

BjorkChop Sep 21st, 2008 05:14 AM

"Although Rome is on the same line as say Newport RI, the Mediterranean breeze keeps it warm, like southern California. There are no palm trees in New England, but they are in Rome."

I have to strongly disagree. I've lived in southern California and I lived in Naples (two hours south) for three years. There are NOT alike. I now live in Michigan and of course I wouldn't compare it to our winters but I sure wouldn't say it's like L.A. weather. I had to wear a coat during the winter usually because it did get cold. I'd say a typical winter day there was in the upper 40's and low 50's. Sometimes, I'd have to wear gloves and a scarf but that's because the breeze from the water would make it appear colder than it was.

Now being there in November is a little different. I'd take a light jacket and a warm one also. I do agree that Rome is lively year round and I do recall there were markets open during the winter too.

Motorino Sep 21st, 2008 05:24 AM

Bjork, you are correct. I did not mean it is 70 year round. But it is not New England either. I lived in LA and Naples too.

In my opinion the uncomfortable months in Italy are late January, February, and early March when I find the dampness just permeates my bones.

I've spent a few Christmas in Rome and Naples and the weather has been outstanding - 60s and dry. We've enjoyed a few Christmas in Rome while eating outside.

sandi_travelnut Sep 21st, 2008 06:22 AM

I was in Rome in January of 07 and it was very cold in the mornings but warmed nicely to the 50's (F) during the day...which was fortunate because I left my winter coat in the backseat of the taxi on the first day...

tcreath Sep 21st, 2008 10:53 AM

We'be been to Rome three times, all during winter months (December, February and March) and it was wonderful every time.

The crowds are much less. Yes, there are people around...its a large city. But getting into the sites is definitely not a problem.

I am from the midwest, where it is very cold in the winter, and I found Rome quite pleasant. In December I actually it actually got quite warm one afternoon and we spent the afternoon carrying our jackets. The evenings were chilly but many of the restaurants have heat lamps so we still ate comfortably outside.

Tracy

Judyrem Jan 6th, 2010 09:23 AM

I am thinking of Rome in March this year...sounds good. DH did not want to do a northern Euoepean city :-(.