Rome in March and Vatican Museum Tickets

Feb 12th, 2007, 05:40 AM
Original Poster

Rome in March and Vatican Museum Tickets

Hello,
Can someone tell me if it is possible or even necessary to buy tickets to the Vatican Museums in advance? We will be in Rome March 9 - 12 and would very much love to see as much of the Vatican as possible.

ALso, what convinient short trips from Rome can we take. We would be willing to rent a car and spend the night somewhere in Tuscany or in the Amalfi area. Should we rent a car or just go to a location that is served by train only?
Thanks in advance. This forum is always so helpful and responsive!
Feb 12th, 2007, 06:50 AM

I'm not really sure about buying tickets to the vatican museum in advance but I HIGHLY recommend a "Scavi Tour" it is probably one of the most interesting things I've ever seen. follow this link to more info.

http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/rome/scavi_tour.htm

as for day trips - I love Assisi for a relaxing change of pace. It's a small medieval hill town that is easy to get to by train. Also, Pompeii is worth the trip. If you find the weather is warm Capri is really great too or it's sister island iscia (not sure if I spelled that one right). have a wonderfile time!

Feb 12th, 2007, 07:10 AM
nbujic

That week in March is the school break for many students.
We found huge lineups to get into Vatican Museum. Beware!

Feb 12th, 2007, 07:43 AM

I second the suggestion to daytrip to Assisi - easy by train from Rome and a welcome change from the hustle & bustle of Rome...

As far as advanced purchased tickets to the Vatican museums - have never bought any ahead of time & don't really know if you are able to...be prepared for long, long lines (but it's worth every minute waiting!)
Feb 12th, 2007, 08:18 AM
MaureenB

Search this forum for information on the Vatican Museums tour. (I once wrote a detailed piece of info. on it: http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34818435)

On the Vatican website, there's a fax number to which you send your request for a tour date. The Vatican will fax back to you a confirmation of your tour, BUT you won't hear from the Vatican until a day or two before your tour. So be sure to provide to the Vatican your hotel fax number, if you'll be traveling the day or two before your requested date.

Unless things have changed since last May, the tour doesn't cost much extra, and is the only way to get a confirmed entrance time with a Vatican tour guide. You will see the Vatican Museums, and end in the Sistene Chapel. From there, you can take the back door exit and go directly to St. Peter's Basilica, without going back outside to get in that long line.
>-