Reload this Page >

Rome in January - advice please!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7th, 2002, 10:16 AM
Sarah Smith

It appears that I may have the opportunity to visit Rome in January - either arriving on the 2nd, or more towards the middle of the month. Which would you recommend?<BR>Will hotel prices be higher closer to the New Year, and will any attractions/museums be closed?<BR>And, dare I ask, how is the weather likely to be??<BR>Many thanks, Sarah

Old Dec 7th, 2002, 11:12 AM
old orch

i think prices decline starting jan 7th ....i arrive on the 11th and the savings was noticeable arriving after &quot;new years week&quot;. have fun

Old Dec 7th, 2002, 02:19 PM
CLP

Topping - can't anyone help this poor woman?<BR>

Old Dec 8th, 2002, 05:49 AM
EC

Use extreme caution for pick-pockets as in any tourist destination. Put your passport and money in a &quot;necklace thingy&quot; and keep that under your clothes. Consider taking a bunch of pennies and if approached by a crowd of kids reach into your pocket for a bunch of pennies and throw them to distract the thieves. On a bus, the pick-pockets will knick you as the bus tips crossing pot holes. You'll never know it until you reach in a pocket later. And they can get your wallet out of your front pocket, too.

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 12:46 PM
Teresa

We went to Rome in Mid-January. We got the off peak prices for hotel rooms. Everything was open, but the Sistine Chapel hours were shorter. We typically wore jeans, light sweater, and jacket. We brought an umbrella in case, but the weather was good to us.