Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Rome in early March - worth paying extra for private terrace?

Rome in early March - worth paying extra for private terrace?

Jan 6th, 2012, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Rome in early March - worth paying extra for private terrace?

We're going to Rome March 3-11 and considering staying at Residenza Canali. The rooms with a private terrace are about $35 more per night. Sounds romantic, but I'm not sure how much we'd use it at that time of year. Thoughts?

BTW, I'm aware that the terrace rooms are on the top floor with no elevator.
Jan 6th, 2012, 08:46 AM

We stayed in one of those rooms several years ago. It's a nice room, decent size, and the terrace was a good size. As I recall, the views are of other rooftops. We found, however, that we preferred to sit at a cafe on Piazza Navona, rather than sitting on our hotel room terrace; this would have been in October, so possibly similar temperatures to March, though I really don't know.

So for us, it was a matter of personal choice.
Jan 6th, 2012, 10:00 AM

With Rome at that time of the year you can go from really great weather to cold and rainy. That said, having the option of a terrace can give you a bit of breathing space. However, is it worth the extra money? Sorry but I cannot really say, but I'm not sure I'd pay the extra. I'm also a cheapskate.

dave
Jan 6th, 2012, 10:54 AM

I agree with daveesl: I usually am in Rome in that week and so I can attest that the weather is a crap-shoot.

I've seen hail, torrential rain, biting cold -- and the mildest of spring weather.

The last 3 times we had an apartment w/ a roofed, south-facing terrace overlooking a bend in the Tiber. I enjoyed it greatly on mild days.
Jan 6th, 2012, 12:34 PM

We stayed at the Residenza Canali (2009, I think) and were unable to get one of the terrace rooms. The room we did get was very disappointing.

It was very small with very little storage space.

We are not hard to please, but we would not stay there again.

Byrd
Jan 6th, 2012, 12:43 PM

For me, a terrace is worth it only if we paln to relax and sit out a lot, not rushing around sight seeing. That means it must be great weather for me to really enjoy it, so in March, no in Rome.

Search this Thread