Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Rome: 'House of Augustus & Livia' To Reopen Mar.2'08

Dec 23rd, 2007, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

Well it will be partially reopened with groups limited to 10.

I have 'google news alerts' for Emperor Augustus, Palatine Hill, etc but so far none of the english online newspapers have mentioned how to get tickets.
Perhaps someone who reads Italian can find something in google?

[This info thanks to a poster in an ancient history newsgroup]

It seems that what saved these original frescos was;
Emperor Domitian (81-96AD) who built his Palace over Nero's Palace ruins filled-in the lower floor of the House of Augustus & Livia.

This was done to have the Temple of Apollo area and his Palace at the same level.
[End]

Augustus was originally going to extend his modest palace over to that area but a lightning strike there (sign from the Gods) convinced him to build a temple.

With the actual temple being built on higher above ground podium it would be easy to bring the ground level up and still keep the temple intact?

Guessing; And they could still keep the upper floor(s) of Augustus/Livia's House intact if Domitian wanted to keep it as a historical landmark, shrine or rebuilt residence?
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...1/wrome111.xml OR http://tinyurl.com/2zww6j
Regards, Walter
Dec 23rd, 2007, 06:14 PM

I spent some time reading the same news in Italian but could not find any info on how to reserve tickets or March. I did find it interesting that the ticket will be 8 Euros for the combined entrance to the Fori-Colloseo-Palatino, so everyone will have to pay somehow.
Dec 24th, 2007, 07:24 PM

Walter, you do find the most amazing updates on Roman ruins. You're awesome! Thanks for this info.

Merry Christmas!
Mar 8th, 2008, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

The 'House of Augustus' opened this weekend (Mar 8 '08), I assume the 'House of Livia' is still closed though.

An article was posted on ANSA (Italian online newspaper) on Mar 7 '08 but they only keep them up a week or so.
But this blog carries the exact article and will save it. http://www.atrium-media.com/roguecla.../00007611.html

From ANSA;
"Guided tours of the house will be covered by a new single ticket offering access to the Roman Forums, the Colosseum and the Palatine.
But only five people at a time will be allowed in to see the rooms due to their small dimensions and the fragility of the frescoes."

I wonder are these tours 7 days a week or just weekends, seeing that it opened on a weekend?

With 5 at a time there will a long line without a doubt?

Until there is someone's 1st hand info, I'd assume get there right at opening time and see what is what? Regards, Walter

Mar 9th, 2008, 06:40 AM

Thanks for the update. I hope both will be open by the next time I visit Rome. I am a long-time I Claudius fan, so these sites are especially interesting to me. I was even excited to see Claudius's boundary marker for the city at the beginning of Via del Pellegrino.
Apr 2nd, 2008, 04:11 PM

We were fortunate to go inside Augustus's house on March 27. Since it was culture week in Italy, we had free admittance. After spending time at the Coliseum, we walked to Palatine Hill and following the many signs to Augustus's house, found a short line. First you wait for admittance to the general area. 10 people at a time are allowed in. Then when you walk to his home there is another line, where exactly 5 people at a time are allowed in. You have about 6 or 7 minutes between the 3 or 4 rooms, and pictures taking is allowed without a flash. The frescoes are beautiful, and I'm thrilled to have had the opportunity to see them.

By the time we left the line was much longer, so I felt we were just lucky to arrive at a good time, which was probably around noon.

Apr 2nd, 2008, 05:05 PM

http://roma.repubblica.it/multimedia/home/1929886/2

Archeologist gives a tour of the house, in Italian.
Apr 14th, 2008, 11:45 AM

Here are the photos I took two weeks ago. They're not complete, but we were hurried through.

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/s...T&auto=1&idx=0