Rome hotels - young, hip & not too $$

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 2008, 05:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any recommendations? We are looking for something that is clean and in a relatively central part of the city.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Would love to stay somewhere like the Hotel Eden but it's not in the budget
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 05:45 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"not too $$" doesn't tell us much. What is your budget?
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

good point - max of 300 -400 Euros a night.

We will be traveling in April.
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 07:22 PM

300-400 EU per night is a good chunk of change to spend...
I am sure for that amount you can find something that is even more than just clean.

You can rent an apartment for 100 EU a night and up that will get you hip locations, centrally located, and far less than 300 - 400 per night.

Old Oct 8th, 2008, 02:19 AM

Janis wrote:
"not too $$" doesn't tell us much. What is your budget?

Well Janis, it means that she doesn't want to spend too much money! What do you think it means!

Old Oct 8th, 2008, 04:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Risa- we did consider this at first (an apt) but decided we would prefer a hotel.

Old Oct 8th, 2008, 08:10 AM

Kristin

My suggestion is to not expect young and hip and affordable with really nice (like the Eden, which is nice, but neither young nor hip).

Considering that loads of folks who can afford 300 to 400 euro per night will not be too young. Even if you pick a hotel in the 300 euro range, there will be a very mixed crowd in terms of age.

Somewhere there are a series of books out there that I think are called something like "Hippest Hotels in...." but I could be wrong.

You may want to do a book search on something like Amazon, or Amazon.co.uk to see if such a book exists.

Me? I would go for the Albergo del Senato or Portoghesi. Great locations. Can't speak for young and hip, but very nice hotels, the first higher in price but still within your stated range.

I have since one or two hip looking (but can't speak for their behavior) at the Hotel Due Torre which is below your stated price range. The owner is rather cool looking, and her husband would make my clock stop, and there is a very hip furniture store on the corner. Not luxurious, though.

I have friends that always get a junior suite at the Portoghesi and wont stay anywhere else.

You may want to check some sites like Venere.com and tripadvisor.com, to see what is available, then come back here and ask for input on specific hotels.
Old Oct 8th, 2008, 08:12 AM

sorry; forgot to proof my response. I hope you get my meaning despite the grammatical errors.
Old Oct 8th, 2008, 08:13 AM

Two more thoughts: the Ponte Sisto is near a young hip area, as is the Santa Maria in Trastevere.
Old Oct 8th, 2008, 08:13 AM

This is not a topic with which I have personal experience, but I recall people saying how "cool" the Boscolo Aleph is:
http://www.boscolohotels.com/eng/hot...hotel_rome.htm
Old Oct 8th, 2008, 08:18 AM

Your budget is more than adequate-- 300- 400 Euros per night, will find lots of choices.

If you want young and hip, there are two hotels owned by the same couple, which offer complimentary cell phones to use while you're staying there. They look very slick and modern on the website.

This is so not helpful, because I can't remember their names! Anyone help me out here? One is called Something Trevi. Big help, non?

Old Oct 8th, 2008, 08:24 AM

PeaceOut, you're thinking of Daphne Trevi and Daphne Veneto.
Old Oct 8th, 2008, 08:33 AM

Thank you, WillTravel! Yes, those are the two. I had considered them for my visit to Rome, but they weren't available. They are apparently quite popular, and I've read other fodorites' recommendations for them.

Kristin, I suggest you check them out, too. I know they have a minimum stay of 3 or 4 nights.

Here's the site:
http://www.daphne-rome.com/script/location.php
Old Oct 8th, 2008, 09:40 AM

Kristind05-as someone who travels to Rome quite frequently I had to pick myself off the floor when you asked for a hotel that is not too much $$ but said you could afford 300-400 euros a night.
Just an FYI-that is a heck of alot of money for a hotel room to most people who travel to Europe for vacation.I think that most people consider 150-200 euros a night high range so restate your request as most of us reading this were in a different price range for your hotel.
Old Oct 8th, 2008, 09:52 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
<b>kristind05:</b> With that sort of burdget you won't have any trouble finding a very nice place. But as dutyfree says - your title is a little misleading for what you are looking for. I understand the two Daphne's that PeaceOut and WillTravel mentioned are quite &quot;hip&quot; but I personally have not stayed at either one. I have a friend who recently stayed at the Daphne Trevi - but I haven't heard back from her on how she liked it.

<b>travelme:</b> get over yourself already.

BTW - If I <i>hadn't</i> asked - how would anyone know that the OP's budget is far more than bare bones. Sheesh!

Maybe you should <u>once</u> offer useful advice rather than just look for threads where you can post one of your snarky but useless comebacks . . . . . . Nah - why start now

Old Oct 8th, 2008, 10:11 AM

i assume a hip hotel would be a boutique hotel which you can easily afford. just looking at the concierge.com hot list of hotel's, the Villa Laetitia seems to fit you bill:
http://tinyurl.com/3km33z
Old Oct 8th, 2008, 11:03 AM
Original Poster

oh i was so excited to come to this thread and see so many responses.

I understand that 300-400 euros is not inexpensive but i was told that Rome hotels are super pricey. So I assumed that would be middle of the road.

I will check out all of your recommendations and see if I have any more specific questions.

Tuscanlifeedit- Trastevere has also been recommended to me as a great area to stay in. I will check out the hotel you mentioned. Thanks!
Old Oct 8th, 2008, 11:38 AM

Kristin, we had our first stay in Trastevere in May, and it was definitely a much younger area than the very center, Pantheon/Navona area, where you will find tourists in the entire spectrum of age.

We stayed at a quiet B&amp;B, but the Ponte Sisto is often recommended here on this board.

The Campo di'Fiori area is very young at night, but there really aren't any great hotels there.

My price range these days if LOW so I don't have personal experience.
Old Oct 8th, 2008, 11:54 AM

To check my facts, I went to the Dalphne website and did NOT see any reference to a minimum stay. Mea culpa.

Maybe they're changed that requirement since May 2005 when I was in Rome.
Old Oct 8th, 2008, 12:48 PM

I am weighing in again...

Trastevere would be a very hip area to stay...look into Hotel Santa Marie

and I also Campo Fiori area, too!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -