Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Rome hotels under $200? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/rome-hotels-under-200-a-589657/)

alzaloum Feb 9th, 2006 11:09 AM

Rome hotels under $200?

I am trying to plan a vacation to Italy for me (29 y/o) and my father (70 y/o). My father is not an elderly person--he still works as a professional engineer and so there are really no special considerations for him in terms of physical abilities. He has never been to Italy while I have. I am trying to find some nice hotels in Venice, Florence, and Rome for about $200/night or under for late April. Last time I went to Italy was 2 yrs ago, but it was November and so everything was much cheaper!

For Rome we would like a hotel near the Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, or Pantheon area. We basically want to be able to walk around at night and not have to travel to far. Any suggestions?

For Florence I have found the Relais Uffizi, which seems nice. Last time I stayed at the Bernini Palace, but they are now charging over $300 per night! For Venice I have a few places in mind. So I really need help with Rome hotels that won't break the budget. We would like clean, private bathroom, 1 room with 2 beds. We don't care if there is a restaurant or breakfast available.

thanks!

bookchick Feb 9th, 2006 11:26 AM

Check out my favorite, the Hotel San Carlo near the Spanish Steps:
http://www.hotelsancarloroma.com/

Buon Viaggio,
BC

basingstoke Feb 9th, 2006 11:46 AM

The Hotel Florida is a good choice. It is not far from the Vatican on a busy avenue. It is one of those places that occupy some floors of an office/apartment building. The hotel is all non-smoking if that is important to you. Rooms are nicely furnished, bright and scan modern and are spotless. Beds are comfortable, desk staff speak English and the cost is well under $200. Most rooms (maybe all) do not face the avenue, so it is quiet. Pictures on websites that advertise the place are accurate.

alzaloum Feb 10th, 2006 05:59 AM

bump.

maldonado Feb 10th, 2006 01:01 PM

For Rome: the hotel we enjoyed is between the Spanish Steps & Trevi Fountain. It is centrally located, on a side street, therefore, quieter and a good deal. We walked everywhere from here.
We spent 5 days there last May @ 105 euro/nite by just walking in (our reserved accommodations were terrrible and this is what we found). The rooms were updated and clean & the price included a nice continental breakfast. The hotel has mixed traditional and modern decor and a rickety elevator which just squeezes 2 people and their luggage in. But the hotel desk staff was very helpful and a great source of recommendations for sights and restaurants.

We also found the small restaurants on the side streets near the Trevi fountain the be the best priced.

You can find Hotel Raffaello @ www.hotelraffaello.it.
Enjoy!

JBX Feb 25th, 2006 07:39 AM

ttt

dutyfree Feb 25th, 2006 08:28 AM

Go on venere.com or any other hotel sites and you will find lots of hotels in Rome for under $200 a night. I usually stay at hotels that are 3 stars and they are always very reasonable. I just stayed at the Hotel Aberdeen near Piazza Repubblica last weekend for 80 euros a night with breakfast.It was my third time there and its completely remodeled with free internet,minibar,cable TV,A/C and a wonderful staff that is most helpful.(Its mentioned in Rick Steves,Frommers,Tripadvisor and a few other guides.)I think that even in high season its only about 115 euros? Our family likes the location as you can go anywhere in Rome using the bus or metro system(Trastevere,Vatican,etc.) along with walking within minutes.I usually go to Rome everyweek for work and have to stay up in the Via Veneto area which is nice but a pain for walking to the metro or buses. The only problem with late April will be Easter vacation and the spring break crowd which causes everything to go up.Good luck!

wondering Feb 25th, 2006 08:47 AM

Hotel Mozart is very well-located and I think it is in your price range. You may want to check it out.

Betsy Feb 25th, 2006 09:05 AM

We loved the Due Torri, which was recommended on this board. The hotel is good, breakfast was abundant, and there is a lift. It's located near Piazza Navona and the Pantheon. We didn't access the AC, as we were there in October. I believe the cost still may be just under $200/double.

WillTravel Feb 25th, 2006 09:10 AM

I liked Hotel Julia. I had the cheapest single room, and it was an excellent deal. I'm less certain if the twin rooms will be as great a deal, but see what you can get.

http://www.hoteljulia.it

People on this board frequently recommend Daphne Trevi (no lift) and Daphne Veneto (with a lift) as two B&Bs with nice rooms and good service. I'd look into those, as they are in your desired area.

tower Feb 25th, 2006 10:06 AM

Near Spanish Steps, between Via Veneto/Piazza Barberini and the Steps on Via Purificacione..Hotel Modigliani..charming, lift, garden..we love it.

Stu T. www.hotelmodigliani.com

Dayle Feb 25th, 2006 04:04 PM

Hi Alzaloum,

I liked the Hotel Giardino Rome, a 2* located between Trajan's market and the Quirinale. I thought the location was great, a 5 minute walk to the Trevi Fountain, about 15 minutes to the Coliseum. Katy, her sons, and staff are very friendly and helpful. It's not a fancy place but perfectly clean and comfortable. Standard breakfast, internet shop downstairs. My single room in Sept (peak season) was 95E night.

I hope you and your Dad have a wonderful time! I wish I could get my parents to western europe, but they think their traveling days are over.

buon viaggio!

MaryPPP Feb 26th, 2006 01:26 PM

We just returned (last week)from Rome and Florence. In Rome we stayed at Hotel Accademia. It is just around the corner from the Trevi Fountain and a short walk to the Spanish Steps. We really liked the location.It cost us 150.00 euro a night and included a nice breakfast.www.accademiahotel.com/eng/

In Florence we stayed at Hotel Brunelleschi which was just a few steps from the Duomo, again we really liked the location. It was 155.00 euro and also included a very nice breakfast. www.hotelbrunelleschi.com

nessundorma Feb 26th, 2006 01:46 PM

If your father can handle one wide, curving flight of stairs, check out Teatro Pace 33 just off the Piazza Navona. A superb location.

http://www.hotelteatropace.com/

Elvin Feb 26th, 2006 02:04 PM

We stayed at a B&B at http://www.b-b.rm.it/ and go to code 90. My comments are there as well. You have a 15 minute walk to the Vatican, 15 minute walk to Piazza Navonna and a lovely breakfast. The hostess is very helpful and speaks English. Cost 82 euros.

MaryPPP Feb 26th, 2006 02:06 PM

Sorry my links were not correct
www.accademiahotel.com/eng
hotelbrunelleschi.it

OK I think I have it right

jay Feb 26th, 2006 02:15 PM

All of the above places are very nice. We always stay at the Hotel des Artistes.

albaaust Feb 26th, 2006 07:24 PM

Just returned from three and a half weeks in Italy. Family of three so we needed a triple room..we are Australian so money WAS an issue!
Why not try an apartmentin Rome- suggest whatever you do stay in the Campo Fiori/Piazza Navona area...you can walk evrywhere.We stayed at the Via Pavone. We did not catch a bus once and we saw lots of sites.

In Florence we stayed at a wonderful hotel..the Colomba. Big room, fridge, TV which did have CNN and BBC, wonderful brekafast..fresh fruit, muesli, cereals, toast, boiled egg and free internet access..it was a respite. The hostess Roseanna is a delight! We also walked everywhere from this hotel..Suggest you go directly to the hotel site and book. Price around A$150 night.

sharon1306 Feb 27th, 2006 04:36 AM

We stayed at Pensione Panda (http://www.hotelpanda.it/) near the Spanish Steps last year. Location was good, price was around 100E/night which was really decent, and service was good too.

i_am_kane Feb 27th, 2006 04:48 AM

Well-located, and close to the Pantheon is the Albergo Cesari. Check them out on tripadvisor.com