Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Rome hotels - comments, critiques? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/rome-hotels-comments-critiques-36835/)

Dan Jan 14th, 1999 05:12 PM

Rome hotels - comments, critiques?

I'd appreciate comments and/or criticisms of the Campo de Fiori, Genio, Sant'Anselmo and Santa Chiarra hotels. Or if you have a favorite of your own, tell me about it. We've stayed at the Scalinata di Spagna and the Albergo del Pantheon but want to try some place different on our next trip this March. Thanks.

Elena Jan 14th, 1999 10:11 PM

I visit Rome at least twice a year and I have stayed in several hotels. I would recommend Albergo Internazionale on Via Sistina 79 Fax (06) 6784764 Tel (06) 69941823. It is a beautifully rennovated <BR>renaissance building,twin/double rooms are very comfortable & spacious and service is friendly. The Hotel is 2 minutes from the Spanish Steps, it is an excellent location. Rates are a bit on the high side but I believe it is worth it. Cheaper is the Albergo Tritone on Via Tritone (City Centre) which is less stylish but OK. I hope that helps :) <BR>

Tony Jan 15th, 1999 09:28 AM

<BR>I was wondering about the Campo de Fiori also. We have reservations in May, but am wondering about a more upscale hotel such as the Internazionale. Any advice would be appreciated. I know the location is good. <BR>Tony

Barbara Jan 18th, 1999 08:59 AM

I highly recommend the hotel Campo de Fiori! Excellent location, clean, friendly, and resonable rates. I just decided to go to Rome in March and am hoping they'll have room for me! <BR>

Beth Jan 18th, 1999 10:06 AM

Dan, <BR> <BR>How did you like Scalinata di Spagna? Its one of the hotels I've been considering, and I wondered if you were trying a different place because you didn't like it? <BR> <BR>

Sonia Jan 19th, 1999 10:21 AM

Beth, <BR>We stayed at the Scalinata di Spagna when in Rome a few years ago. The location was great, right at the top of the Spanish Steps and opposite a v. fancy hotel (The Hassler, maybe?) Also walking distance from the Gardens (Borghesi? I forget). The room was fine, but a bit noisy late at night because of the restaurant in the courtyard below our window. (Romans eat late, and we wanted to sleep before catching the early train to Naples. But that's another story.) Breakfast was served on a rooftop terrace with a fabulous view across the city to St. Peters. I'd stay there again, but it might not be my first choice. I'd like to try the Campo dei Fiori... <BR>Buon viaggio! <BR>

Dan Jan 21st, 1999 04:51 PM

Beth - we liked the Scalinata very much - it was our first trip to Rome and so everything was great. The only problem was that at the time they were doing interior renovations (this was March 98) so the public rooms on the ground floor were not open and we had to take breakfast in our room. We just felt like we wanted to stay somewhere closer to Piazza Navona/Campo di Fiori this time, just for a change. But I'd stay at the Scalinata again (on our third or fourth trip). <BR>