Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Rome Hotels - A Well Covered Topic - We Need A Change (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/rome-hotels-a-well-covered-topic-we-need-a-change-1040496/)

Good_Will Mar 17th, 2015 08:12 PM

Rome Hotels - A Well Covered Topic - We Need A Change

The last three times we have been to Rome we have stayed at La Residenza in Via Emilia near Via Veneto. It is a very nice hotel, but seems to have "dropped down the favoured list" a bit in recent years.

Where show we stay for 4 days in mid-August ?

We know Rome fairly well, are interested to try a new area with a good hotel from 3 to 4+ stars with big beds and great breakfasts.

Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated ?

Thank you.

WillTravel Mar 18th, 2015 12:00 AM

I've seen some very nice pictures from the Aventine area, although I missed it on my visit, and I think there are some nice hotels there. Maybe take a look?

sandralist Mar 18th, 2015 12:30 AM

In mid-August, I would want to be close to the reasons I was going to Rome rather than need to rely on buses, trains or taxis, or walk long distances, to see what I wanted to see.

There are nice hotels as you describe all over Rome (although what is your idea of a "great" breakfast?). What neighborhood do you want to be in and within what budget?

Good_Will Mar 18th, 2015 04:01 AM

I am looking for a change from the Via Veneto area and open to suggestions from those who have more experience than me. I dont want to travel too far from the centre and so areas like Porta Portese and Parioli as examples are out. Maybe we should try Piazza Navonna area, but possibly too busy. As mentioned 3 star to 4 star+ depending on what is on offer. Happy to walk a lot. The breakfast is possibly the best thing about La Residenza - fresh, great variation of fruits, breads, pastries, cereal and hot options - above average espresso machine produced coffee. Thanks for your suggestions.

Dukey1 Mar 18th, 2015 04:15 AM

We used to stay on or near the Via Veneto and we enjoyed doing so despite people telling us it "isn't the real Rome" and all the rest of that stuff. Last time around we stayed in the Albergo del Senato and thoroughly enjoyed the hotel and the locale.

sandralist Mar 18th, 2015 04:35 AM

I would suggest hotels/b&bs around the Largo di Torre Argentina. Use booking.com to see what is available on your dates in that neighborhood. Booking.com has a map so you can see which hotels are in that area that are available, what the prices are, and you can read reviews to find out if anybody raves about the breakfast they ate.

What works for me about that neighborhood is that most everything I personally want to do is within walking distance, but there is also the plethora of trams and buses, and taxi ranks at the Largo, which is hub for public transportation. So if I wander far from my hotel during the day and get footsore, it is extremely easy to find a tram or bus that makes a stop at the Largo to take me back.

Marianna Mar 18th, 2015 04:50 AM

We are in the same situation. We have been to Rome quite a few times and usually stay near Piazza Navona or near the Pantheon or the Spanish Steps. This year, for our brief 2 nights stay, we are thinking of Trastevere. I am doing research but there aren't that many hotels that look really appealing to me. Any advice?

sandralist Mar 18th, 2015 05:15 AM

You would need to describe what kind of hotels appeal to you, and why you zeroed in on Trastevere rather than trying someplace else.

Elizabeth_S Mar 18th, 2015 06:09 AM

For the OP - I love the location of Hotel Ponte Sisto and the rooms/courtyard/roof top bar look lovely (haven't stayed there - just visited someone who was).

http://www.hotelpontesisto.it/

Colleen Mar 18th, 2015 06:31 AM

Good Will, we are trying Hotel Santa Maria in Trastevere in May. Its a character 3 to 4 star fairly close to some sights and there is a tram (which we will take but haven't yet. It is very popular and is fully booked for our mid-May visit.

Elizabeth_S Mar 18th, 2015 08:50 AM

Colleen - too bad, that's a very cute place and I like that location in Trastevere very much as well - have a look at Ponte Sisto hotel above (although I think it's more expensive)

tuscanlifeedit Mar 18th, 2015 10:47 AM

A very nice hotel where I've placed clients is the Nazionale a Montecitorio, right off the Parliament Sq. It's upscale and not boutique, but not a large business hotel either. I hear they have a very good breakfast. That's a part of Rome that I'm very fond of.

KTtravel Mar 18th, 2015 11:48 AM

We have stayed at both of the Alimandi Hotels right by the entrance to the Vatican museum. They have both a 3 and 4 star hotel (one is on the block behind the other.) Even though this isn't the most popular location on this forum, we were very happy with both of the hotels and both have excellent breakfasts. They used to have a free shuttle to the airport at certain times of the day. The location was quiet at night and walking distance from restaurants and a subway stop.

Flame123 Mar 18th, 2015 12:58 PM

Just returned from a short trip to Roma and as the OP writes, we also are veteran well-traveled to Rome visitors. We also wanted a change from our usual "hangouts" and so decided to stay in the Monti area. We LOVED it.

I am not sure our hotel would be fitting for the OP, since while it was wonderfully located, very clean, large (for European standards) rooms, good staff, etc., the breakfast was close to atrocious. And this really could make or break it for those that find the breakfasts important. While we generally do, this time we thought that this negative outweighed all the other positives.

The hotel is Hotel Artorius, it is on Via del Boschetto, a lovely quaint cobblestoned street in a lovely quaint cobblestoned area and we truly enjoyed exploring this new area for us.

If you are interested I would be happy to answer any other specific questions.

WWK Mar 18th, 2015 04:38 PM

Another recommendation for ALBERGO DEL SENATO. It's a beautiful 3-star boutique hotel with very comfortable rooms, great AC, lovely staff, good breakfast, and excellent central location for exploring Rome. It also has a beautiful rooftop bar where you can savor a Bellini or two after a day of sightseeing!

The other hotel that's on my radar after a good friend's recent visit is DOM HOTEL on Via GIULIA.

Blueeyedcod Mar 18th, 2015 04:47 PM

Would be helpful if you mentioned a budget.

Star ratings are meaningless. A crummy hotel with a restaurant will have a higher star rating than a better one without, simply because it has a restaurant. Star ratings apply to amenities only - not degree of luxury.

Good_Will Mar 19th, 2015 03:38 AM

Budget is 150 - 250 Euro range. Thank you all for your suggestions on locations and hotels . I will take a look at each and let you know also what we decide on. More suggestions most welcome and hopefully helpful to others

traveller1959 Mar 19th, 2015 06:18 AM

We loved the Sofitel near the Spanish Steps. Quiet, yet central location. Excellent rooms. Should be within your price range.

http://www.sofitel.com/en/hotel-1312...se/index.shtml

Good_Will Mar 20th, 2015 09:05 PM

Well I now know that researching alternative niches of Rome is somewhat complex for our four day stay in late August. There is a lot on offer however even for late August the better rooms are starting to disappear. Albergo del Senato is extremely well presented and right at arguably the busiest point in Rome. Is it noisy there I wonder ?? Largo di Torre Argentina is a very convenient location, but I need to do a bit more research on a preferred hotel there. The DOM Hotel has too many Stars, a little too much taxidermy and is too modern for us I think.I really like Hotel Ponte Sisto but maybe the rooms with any view have now been taken. I will check. Maybe the entry level is good if the breakfast and roof top retreat are good. The Sofitel is great but a little too close to the Via Veneto where I am seeking to migrate from this time :-) Nazionale a Montecitorio is well located but maybe a little too reserved and businesslike. I will also take a look at Trastevere which maybe is a little too far from the buzz. So I thank you all, will keep reading and would welcome further comment.

sandralist Mar 21st, 2015 02:44 AM

I found the Senato noisy but I think there are rooms that do not face the piazza. The problem when I stayed there was organized tour groups of teens being shepherded through Rome at night, sometimes in groups as large as 30 or more. They seem to enjoy getting to stay up past midnight and being really loud: shrieking, singing a group song in the piazza -- the louder the better. There are also accordianists who play at the touristy restaurants surrounding the piazza. I also found the room I had uncomfortably small, but again, you can probably book larger ones. Just in general I've come to prefer a place to stay where when I walk outside I am not immediately in the middle of a tourist crush.