Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Rome Hotels (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/rome-hotels-35340/)

Bob Dec 8th, 1998 06:51 AM

Rome Hotels

Thinking about surprising my wife for spring break with a 7 day trip to Rome but need help with smaller, clean, cheaper, centrally located hotels. MUST BE CLEAN, HAVE BATHROOM. Would love ideas on places people have found that they really thought were great deals. THanks.

Monica Dec 8th, 1998 07:00 AM

Hi Bob, <BR> <BR>My husband and I stayed at Hotel Smeraldo, Vicolo dei Chiodaroli, 9, 00186 Roma. Phone: 06-687-5929, fax: 688-05-495. We paid L160,000 (about $90) per night and this hotel is in a great location. It's around the corner from Campo di Fiori a great outdoor market area during the day and restaurants and cafes. We took the bus from the Termini train station to Largo Argentina. The room was nice and clean with our own bathroom and t.v. <BR> <BR>You can do a search on this web site "My LONG story" and read up on our trip in May. <BR> <BR>Rome is wonderful! Have a great time.

Allison Dec 10th, 1998 07:59 PM

Bob, I took Monica's advice and stayed at Hotel Smeraldo in October this year. The Hotel is great for that price range and the location is fabulous.

Monica Dec 11th, 1998 04:41 AM

Hi Allison, <BR> <BR>Glad you like the hotel! Write us about your trip.

greg potvin Dec 12th, 1998 07:31 PM

Have also stayed at Smeraldo and had a great room. It is a truly great location as you will be able to walk all over Rome from there. We found hotel in Sandra Gustafson's book "Cheap sleeps in Italy". Lots of other suggestions in different parts of city. I would encourage you to stay central, near Piazza Navonna, Piazza Venezia, Pantheon or Campo di Fiori. Get a goog guide book and have fun!

Marysue Bacon Dec 24th, 1998 02:15 PM

I grew up in Rome and go back often to visit all the Italian things I grew to love!! One of the best - cheap- pensione in Rome is the Pensione Gexim. It is just around the corner from the train station, the underground the bus lines and several of the grand museum. The couple who own and run it are name Avi - the wife from Israel and her husband - Virgilio from Naples. The place is immaculate!!. They only have one or two rooms that has its own bath. It is small and it is spartan but they are so gracious and kind and helpful you will make friends for life. It was about $70 a night I believe. If you are interested drop me an email and I will dig out there phone number and address. I have noticed them listed in several travel books however. Sounds like a great idea, what a wonderful husband you must be. You will fall in love with Rome you know. It is a big city, remember, with some of the usual big city problems, but Italians simply have more fun. Meals are longer and better, people are beaufitul and love it when you try to speak a few works of Italian. Go before the summer chrush of crowds. Now for my most important piece of information, of all the museums in Rome, you MUST get tickets to the Borghese. It has just recently opened in the big park, called Villa Borghese in Rome. It will knock you socks off. Any other questions I would be happy to help. I know alot about the city and I frequently assist friends and family with trips to Italy. Enjoy! <BR>

Carol Dec 28th, 1998 08:09 PM

Monica <BR>I would also like to experience the Smeraldo. But I've been having difficulty contacting them by FAX. The number you give is shoy a digit....so I added a 0 before the #. But still no luck. Any ideas? I would really like to contact them. <BR>THANKS! <BR>

Monica Dec 29th, 1998 04:16 AM

Hi Carol, I will check the phone number and fax number when I get home and will get back to you! You'll love the area and the comfort of this small hotel.

Monica Dec 29th, 1998 11:44 AM

Hi Carol, <BR> <BR>The numbers for Hotel Smeraldo are: 011-39-6-687-5929; Tele/Fax on the card reads: 68805495 or 6892121. Hope you can get through!

Denise Dec 29th, 1998 05:18 PM

Hotel Regno on Via del Corso 330, a couple of minutes walk to Trevi and Pantheon - everyone who we met staying there, voted it the best they had stayed in in Rome. This hotel has been renovated and is in the former Library of the Kingdom of Italy. Per night Australian dollars from 70 to 75. LARGE bathroom and bedroom. Wonderful breakfast TV etc. etc. Denise <BR>

Carol Dec 30th, 1998 05:09 AM

Monica <BR>Thanks for your help! I did finally get through to the Hotel Smeraldo. The # that worked for me was 011-39-06-687-5929...someone answered the phone # and I just explained I wanted to send a FAX, they then initiated their FAX machine. I'm just waiting for their reply. I'll let you know how it goes. <BR>Thanks again <BR>Carol <BR>

Monica Dec 30th, 1998 05:22 AM

Hi Carol, <BR> <BR>I'm glad that you got through. Please remember that if you change your mind, you cancel your reservations! When I was there in May, the owner complained to me that many Americans never call to cancel their reservations. We had arrived around 6pm because our flight from Paris left late. He had almost gave up our room to someone else. I told him I would pass his information on to other travelers. <BR> <BR>Monca

Carol Dec 30th, 1998 08:13 PM

Monica <BR>I pride myself as NOT being an ugly american! I would certainly cancel a reseservation I was unable to keep. I am still awaitng a reponse from the Hotel Smeraldo on my request for a reservation. We are looking forward to a pleasant stay should or request be confirmed. I will keep in touch. <BR>Thanks <BR>Carol <BR>

Monica Dec 31st, 1998 04:55 AM

Carol, It was not meant to insult you. I only mentioned it in general because of what the owner had said to me. I had told him I'm part of a great travel web site and would relay his concerns. If you were looking for another hotel, I probably wouldn't have mentioned it. <BR> <BR>I was going through my photos and saw the one of my in front of the hotel. I wish I was there now! <BR> <BR>I hope you hear from them soon!

Rosemary Jan 3rd, 1999 12:03 PM

Carol, I have been looking for lodging <BR>for 2 for a night in Rome. Let us know if you got a response from the Smeraldo <BR>Hotel. Rosemary

Joanna Jan 7th, 1999 10:03 PM

I can heartily recommend the Hotel Pavia, which is a short walk (5 mins) from Termini Station in a quiet street near the Baths of Diocletian and the old Museo Nazionale. The rooms are very clean, showers great and breakfast average. The Termini metro station being so close is handy for the forum area and other parts of Rome. Also, if you are coming from the airport the hotel is good because you don't have to change to the Metro or bus or cab nor walk a long way to reach your hotel. It was L150,000 a night for 3 people when I was there in October.