Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Rome Hotels (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/rome-hotels-251676/)

maureen Aug 21st, 2002 07:43 AM

Rome Hotels

Help with 4 0r 5 star hotel in rome over Thanksgiving...... open for suggestions

Rex Aug 21st, 2002 07:59 AM

Hi, maureen - - Cincinnati area, I assume with that e-mail address.<BR><BR>You should start with www.venere.com - - good for window shopping, making inquiries, booking reservations or cancellations.<BR><BR>I would put Minerve (4 star, I think) near the top of my list, but there are numerous others in which I have never set foot.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex Bickers<BR>Westerville, Ohio<BR><BR>P.S. there is a continuing low-grade interest in an OH/KY/IN get-together of people who enjoy this board. Nothing specific on the drawing board - - wanna help get something started?<BR>

up Aug 21st, 2002 09:25 AM

up, to the top, for maureen<BR>

Henly Gold Aug 21st, 2002 09:53 AM

My fave 5 star in Rome is the DeRussie!!! It is the best, but it will cost you.

Dina Aug 21st, 2002 09:56 AM

I stayed at the Hassler many years ago. THe location (top of the Spanish Steps)and service were great but hte rooms were TINY! It has a great roof top.

maureen Aug 22nd, 2002 07:19 AM

Rex. thank you , and yes i would explore the regional travel get together

erin Aug 22nd, 2002 07:28 AM

We stayed at the Hotel Eden in June. Don't waste your money! We had a suite and it was still very small. Cigarette burns on the couch. Blow dryer in the desk in the sitting room???

JOdy Aug 22nd, 2002 07:58 AM

Another vote for de Russie...it's gorgeous and very convenient!

Rob Aug 24th, 2002 06:36 AM

The Mascagni is my favorite and the Genio is also quites acceptbale (rooms smaller) but location better.

topper Aug 24th, 2002 07:40 AM

topping<BR>

goforit Aug 24th, 2002 08:11 AM

We stayed at the Intercontinental in Rome this past summer for 3 nights.This hotel doesn't get much attention on this site and I don't know why that is.It's located next to the Hassler on the Sistina at the top of the Spanish steps.They are always willing to make a deal especially on weekends and you can use your Holiday Inn Priority Club points.We did not eat there but enjoyed their ambiance,the view and the music in the lounge and inner courtyard bar.It doesn'tlook like much from the outside but what a treat and bargain!

Jon Aug 24th, 2002 08:44 AM

Raphael Hotel<BR>4 stars<BR>Lcated 1 block from Piazza Navona.<BR>Excellent service, elegant common areas, nice rooms.<BR>j.

Mark Aug 24th, 2002 08:29 PM

The St. Regis Grand is wonderful, but the overall winner in my book at the 5 star level is deRussie. You might also consider the Ambasciatori Palace which I recommended to someone else on this board, it's a 4 star, but in a great location on the Veneto. It has wonderful huge bathrooms with deep soaking tubs and heated towel racks. The room service was timely and food was excellent. As for the Raphael...very snooty and not all that nice, I feel it's overrated. Good Luck, Ciao.