Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Rome hotel suggestion or recommendation of a nice town outside of Rome ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2010, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I am flying into Rome on Tuesday morning 5/25 and am having trouble finding a hotel room at this last moment. Does anybody have any recommendation for a nice place for around $150-200. Also, to be honest I am also not that interested in Rome (even tho this is my first trip to Italy). My main interest is Florence and Venice. So does anybody have any recommendations for a place that is not too far (within a couple of hours) that would be reachable after an overnight flight without going all the way to Florence but I was hoping to not to do that on the first day. I am planning on using trains on my 10 day trip but could rent a car for part of it if necessary. This trip just generated spontaneously in the last two days or so, hence the scrambling.

Thanks. Rob
Old May 20th, 2010, 07:38 PM

For me, if you are interested in Florence, then I would just continue on to Florence--or even Venice. Chances are you might not be able to get into your hotel room before noon anyway, so why not relax on the train to Florence?

From FCO to Roma Termini station, there is a train every half hour--the ride itself takes 30 minutes. At Roma Termini there are virtually hourly trains to Florence--the ride takes 90 minutes.

On my last trip, I deplaned at FCO at 7:30am, and was at my hotel in Florence by 11:00am. You could be in Venice a few hours later.
Old May 20th, 2010, 07:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, good advice. Can you recommend a good hotel in Venice for around $150-200 a night. Thanks. Rob
Old May 21st, 2010, 05:24 AM

Here is my recent favorite, though many others like it too--this may be short notice.

http://www.alpontemocenigo.com/
Old May 21st, 2010, 06:34 AM

Hello you might try this B&B in Rome:

www.arcosbedandbreakfast.com

I expect there should be plenty of last minute availability anyway with the continuing volcano flight disruptions?