Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Rome Hotel Location- Piazza Navona, Via Veneto, or Piazza Barberini?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18th, 2000, 06:07 AM
jane

Hello- First time traveler to Rome and I am curious about which is the best location to stay in- we are considering hotels in the Via Veneto area, near Piazza Navona, and Piazza Barberini. <BR>We plan to see the major sites (Vatican and Historical Sites) but also want to take in the atmosphere and local flavor of Rome. <BR>Thanks.

Old Aug 18th, 2000, 06:14 AM
hamlet

Any of the areas you mentioned would be good locations and convenient to the sights. Via Veneto towards Piazza Barberini might be more convenient than up away from P. Barberini. But these areas are not "local flavor" as in Roman residential areas, this is where you'll find most of the hotels, restaurants, attractions, etc. say "local fl

Old Aug 18th, 2000, 07:57 AM
JB

Dear Jane, <BR> <BR>Personally, I think the Piazza Navona area is the most charming of the neighborhoods you mention. My impression (and others can correct me here!) is that Via Veneto has the older, more established and possibly fancier hotels, but has less character than Piazza Navona. I thought Via Veneto itself was fairly touristy, with lots of chain stores, etc. - whereas Piazza Navona gives you more of the sense of little, winding streets and markets and more unique shops and restaurants. But certainly both would be convenient for sightseeing, and I agree with the previous poster that towards Piazza Barberini would be better than away. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR>JB

Old Aug 18th, 2000, 12:21 PM
Vickie

I stayed at the Marriott Grand Flora at the top of the Via Veneto (right next to Borghese Gardens). THe hotel was nice, but a distance from the tourist action. As someone noted, staying at a hotel on the lower half of the Via Veneto would be better (south of the US embassy). One great thing about the Via Veneto is that it's on the route of two of the electric buses - these buses (particularly #116) go to all the tourist spots, and they're small enough that they fit through twisty, narrow streets in the old areas (e.g. Pantheon). I bought day passes and they were great. Sometimes, I just rode on them to see where they went. The Hotel Raphael is just off Piazza Navona and I checked it out - rooms were expensive, avg. of $300 in winter. Nice decor, better location than Via Veneto - that's probably where I'll stay next time...or somewhere near Campo Fiore.

Old Aug 18th, 2000, 01:02 PM
richardab

I also think that the Piazza Navona area is the best location in Rome. It is most central and offers the best walking distances to many sights. <BR> <BR>Since I am the Postert Child for the Hotel Due Torri, That is the hotel i recommend. The staff is friendly, the location is quiet and the rooms are cozy. Not to mention modern bathrooms! <BR> <BR>See my websight for more info on Rome, Pic and info on the hotel Due torri. The sight isn't completely finished but the Rome section is. <BR> <BR>http://home.earthlink.net/~richardab/ <BR> <BR>Follow the path; <BR> <BR>Enter&gt;Fly&gt;Europe&gt;Rome <BR> <BR>Let me know if you have any questions! <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 18th, 2000, 03:57 PM
Paule

For charm and convenience, I second the Piazza Navona area. More small hotels, many small cafes and trattorias, small, meandering (narrow!) streets yet still very convenient to all the sights.

Old Aug 18th, 2000, 05:32 PM
jane

Thanks for all of the helpful information. Any suggestions for hotels in the Piazza Navonna area? We need something that has conveniences and business capabilities. Considering Hotel Rapheal but would like another option since I have read some negative comments about that hotel on this forum. <BR>Thank You!

Old Aug 21st, 2000, 01:46 PM
Sandra

Jane, <BR>We just returned from Rome and stayed at the Hotel Portoghesi, a few blocks from Piazza Navona. HIGHLY recommend it. Small but all the amenities, nice marble bathroom, we happened to have a room with a lovely view of a large neighboring terrace full of greenery and flowers. Thick, double pane windows knock out all noise from the outside, and nice breakfast buffet. We felt this hotel helped make our stay in Rome positively exceptional! <BR>Have a great trip.

Old Aug 21st, 2000, 02:50 PM
Judy

Sandra: I am going to Rome Sept.14 for a week and will staying at the Portoghesi...I appreciate your input and feel very good about my choice of hotel and area, thanks for the info.

Old Aug 21st, 2000, 03:15 PM
kam

My favorite in Rome is La Residenza which is between the middle part of the Via Veneto (uphill from the U.S. Embassy) and the Spanish Steps. The hotel that I was going to check on for our next Rome trip is Scalinata di Spagne at the top of the Spanish Steps and near the Hassler. But would agree that Pza. Navona is a wonderful place to be as well. You do not want to be near the Vatican, or the Roman sites or over in Trastevere. Visit those for sure but don't stay there. I also don't like the area around the Termini, just because I feel there's not much there and it's too crowded. PS You can walk up to the concierge at the Excelsior for advice about Rome and because the hotel's so big they won't know you're not one of the guests. We stay there on business so we feel we can take advantage when we're on our own! Also lots of small trattorias in this area. Good shopping at the foot of the Spanish steps on V. Condotti. Oh, I want to go back!

Old Aug 21st, 2000, 05:11 PM
Leslie

I had the same questions about hotel locale as you. Friends highly recommended the Piazza Navona area and we are staying at Hotel Genio. Sounded nice to me. When are you going? We will be there in middle of Oct. and I am happy to give you a report on my return.

Old Aug 22nd, 2000, 01:24 AM
chrissy

We stayed at the hotel Raphael in july, I too heard nasty things about the hotel on this forum, but we got such a good deal we tried it anyway. It was one of the best hotels we stayed at on our trip. Great location, great rooftop garden (a little pricey though) service was excellent, everyone was polite and friendly

Old Aug 28th, 2000, 04:38 AM
BG

Hi! <BR> <BR>Actually just got back from Rome last night but due to jet lag, I can't sleep. We stayed at the Colonna Palace Hotel which I feel is the most ideal location. It is located within a very short walking distance to the Pantheon (5 min.), Trevi Fountain (5 min.), Piazza Navona (7 min). Actually, we walked to all the sights in Rome including the Vatican (25 min.), Colosseo (25 min), Forum (20 min.), Palatino, etc. <BR> <BR>The hotel is a 4 star located in the P.zza Di Montecitorio Area. across from the Parliament so they don't allow traffic to get in the area. Wide open, beautiful area. It was very quiet at night and the hotel has a roof top garden that you can see beautiful views. <BR>Considering it is very hot in August, we were able to walk to all the places we needed to get to. The buildings are very close together that you get a lot of shade around the area. We had dinner at restaurants within walking distance too. <BR> <BR>Hope this helps!

Old Feb 16th, 2001, 07:01 AM
nancy

topping