Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Rome: hotel f- the Caesar or the Lancelot or stay outside of Rome near airport

Rome: hotel f- the Caesar or the Lancelot or stay outside of Rome near airport

Apr 20th, 2008, 02:04 PM
Original Poster

Rome: hotel f- the Caesar or the Lancelot or stay outside of Rome near airport

At the end of our 13 day trip to Italy. we are flying out of Rome at 10am in the morning. We were going to stay in Rome the last 2 nights of our stay and considering either the Caesar or the Lancelot. Has anyone stayed there? (our max per night budget is 220 Euros). Or do you recommend elsewhere?
However, considering the expense of Rome hotels and the fact we'll be heading out of Rome at 6am to catch our plane (I heard the airport is 40km from Rome), does it make more sense to go to Rome one day earlier, stay 2 nights in Rome and then stay somewhere near the airport for our last night? Perhaps there are wonderful environs not far from the airport? .
Apr 20th, 2008, 05:02 PM

We stayed at the Lancelot several years ago and thought it was delightful. It's worth it to get a room with a balcony. They also have very reliable drivers who can get you to the airport. Nice reasonable restaurants in the area as well.
Apr 20th, 2008, 05:40 PM

I actually found it cheaper to stay IN Rome the night before our flight, even with a driver. There are budget hotels closer to the airport, but our flight is so early(none have a shuttle at the ungodly hour we need it, and I'm wary of unrecommended drivers showing up in the middle of the night), and the hotels get such mixed reviews, that we decided to stay in Rome, and have a driver take us to the airport.

10 am isn't really that early. Our flight is at 6:45!

We were quoted a very good price by romeshuttlelimousine.com.
Apr 20th, 2008, 06:28 PM

I don't know your hotels but I wouldn't bother staying near the airport for a 10am flight--you won't need to leave at six (or, I wouldn't, anyway). I had a seven am flight once and we left around 5, I think, using a driver.

Enjoy Rome!
Apr 20th, 2008, 06:29 PM

p.s. Not that you should cut it as close as I have, just that I don't think you need 4 hours.

Search this Thread