Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Rome: Hotel Della Torre Argentina vs Santa Chiara (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/rome-hotel-della-torre-argentina-vs-santa-chiara-617393/)

Marianna May 22nd, 2006 01:10 AM

Rome: Hotel Della Torre Argentina vs Santa Chiara

After dealing with the surprise Cesari cancellation, we now have offers from these two hotels. I know the Santa Chiara is highly recommended here but I have read some negative comments on trip advisor. The Della Torre Argentina seems to have consistently good reviews.

I am seeking some last minute help here. We need to reserve one hotel today so I can go on with my life. Does anyone have any comments to share about these hotels? Room appearance? Location? Rooms to request? Other comments?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Marianna May 23rd, 2006 01:08 AM

Has anyone here stayed in the the rooms on the 5th floor with private terraces at the Della Torre Argentina? I was wondering what they are like as far as size and comfort. Thanks.

Intrepid1 May 23rd, 2006 02:05 AM

Topping...

zizz Jun 2nd, 2006 05:52 PM

Marianna, I also chose between the two hotels. My first choice was Albergo del Senato but the rates were ridiculous! Anyway, I opted for Della Torre Argentina. I'm hoping it's the right choice - anyone?

I'm a bit concerned about the street crowd though. I wonder if we have to doubly beware of pickpockets.

i_am_kane Jun 2nd, 2006 06:07 PM

For Marianna, Zizz and myself:

Does anyone know the nearest cross street where the Hotel della Torre Argentina meets Corso Vittorio Emanuele?

I would like to mark the location of the hotel on my map.

Appreciate any responses.

anna_roz Jun 2nd, 2006 06:30 PM

I cannot help with the Della Torre Argentina, but I can vouch for Albergo Santa Chiara. It is a great place to stay, smack in the center of the historic district behind the Pantheon, very generous breakfast included, nice people, the works. It is not a fancy place, but very comfortable and I would stay there in a heartbeat.

Anna Roz

2Italy Jun 2nd, 2006 06:35 PM

i am kane,
The "block" that the Hotel Della Torre Argentina is on faces Corso Vittoria Emanuele, and the street to the west is Via d. Montedalla Farina, and the one to the east is Via Arenula. After you cross Corso Vittori0 Emanuela Via Arenula turns into Via Torre Argentina.
[email protected]

i_am_kane Jun 3rd, 2006 03:28 AM

2Italy,

Thanks a bunch.

Marianna Jun 3rd, 2006 03:42 AM

Thanks so much for asking for this info, Kane! Zizz, in Rome, there are crowds just about everywhere. I have read positive comments about the hotel so I am also hoping it will be fine. How could I pass up the private terraces? The Santa Chiara did look very nice also, but we chose the della Torre Argentina.

Eloise Jun 3rd, 2006 03:46 AM

Zizz,

Largo di Torre Argentina - at Corso Vittorio Emanuele and Via Arenula - is a major transportation hub; very many busses stop there. So, yes, there are many people around.

But - unless you take the notorious 64 bus that has a deserved reputation as the pickpocket special - there is no need to be "doubly beware of pickpockets."

I've passed through Largo di Torre Argentina at least a dozen times a year for the last 30 years and have never felt threatened. And I carry a purse.

Eloise Jun 3rd, 2006 03:54 AM

Zizz,

I did not want to mess up Franco's thread about Roman accommodation with this.

There are pickpockets in Rome, but with a normal - not paranoid - amount of caution, you will be safe from them. Muggings, on the other hand, are very, very rare in Rome.