Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Rome hop on/hop off shuttle - Is this a good thing?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2006, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For about 25 euro this seems like a convenient way to travel around for a day. We used a similar method for a day in London. Do you recommend?
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 11:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wouldn't use it. You can easily walk from one end to the other using (quite often) pedestrian roads only. You can also use the bus or the subway, which is much cheaper.
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 01:23 AM

Virgo - Ditto Schuler's comment.

It's not a good deal IMO. Much better to get a bus/metro day-pass (€ 4) and sightsee at your own pace, rather than wait around for a tour bus which may or may not run to schedule, may arrive full, etc ...

With the exception of the Vatican/ S Pietro area, all the main sights are central and are within walking distance of each other anyway.

Steve
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 01:46 AM

Hi

That's 25E for two isn't it? It's 13E per person according to this site - http://www.romaturismo.it/v2/romatia...rtematici.html.

I used it. I thought it was a good way to familiarise yourself with the city.
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 05:11 AM
Edmundus

I liked it initially but late in the day it got very crowded and I could not get on board for quite some time. Finally I abandoned it. A pity they did not put on enough buses. That was at the end of October 2005

Old Jan 5th, 2006, 07:37 AM

I'd skip it. Too hot and crowded. Rome is so walkable, and you can go at a nice easy pace if it is hot.
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 10:02 AM

I agree to skip it. We took the tour on our last trip and it took forever just to find the place to catch the bus. Then the English audio was hard to hear.
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 10:08 AM

If that "day" is 12/25, then yes. Buses and metros don't run on Christmas Day.
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 10:09 AM

We took it the evening we arrived as a good way to orient ourselves to the city in a less tiring way. We didn't get on and off but simply stayed on for the entire trip which was about an hour I think. It was an easy way to see the major sites without walking. Of course we did walk a great deal on the next three days that we were there. I wouldn't use it as a form of transport as you can walk to most sights easily and when tired, the buses are easy to navigate and the taxis are not expensive.
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 10:44 AM

I agree with Lily that it is a good intorduction to the city if you have not visited before. The audio I also found hard to hear. It is not the transpo you would want to use after you have taken this introduction.
We used taxis many time when we would want to explore a certain area of the city rather than walk when we were tired. Many of the major sight are in walking distance depending on your lodging location. We found the taxis not to be that expensive,and the drivers we had were very good. Also figuring out the bus stops can be confusing for a first time visitor especially if you time is limited in the city.
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 04:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies! Everyone's opinion/experience will help us decide when we get there if this is something worthwhile.
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 11:25 PM

Just one more opinion from someone who normally recommends these trips - I loved London's and like others.

But I'd skip Rome's. Crowded, hard to hear, hard to see, just not great.