Reload this Page >

Rome Hilton at Leonardo da Vinci Airport to tour Rome for 1st time

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 07:42 PM
Linda McIlwain

Would you go to Rome for 3 weeks if your only free choice of hotel was the Hilton at the Leonardo da Vinci airport or would you choose another destination and go to Rome when you could pay for a room in the center of the city? <BR> <BR>Has anyone stayed at the new Rome Hilton at the Leonardo da Vinci airport while trying to tour Rome for the first time? <BR> <BR>If so, was the noise too much that you couldn't sleep? <BR> <BR>How long did it take you to get to the city, for example, Piazza Venezia? <BR> <BR>Has anyone used their free shuttle to the city and back throughout the day? <BR> <BR>If so, was the shuttle on time and dependable? <BR> <BR>Would you recommend taking side trips from Leonardo da Vinci airport to Ostia Antica, Florence, and Tivoli as Ed and Julie (travel gurus) highly rate these sites. Or is the travel time too excessive to consider these sites?

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 08:13 PM
Addison

I stayed at the Hilton but only for one night for the convenience of catching my flight home. If given the choice I would stay near the spanish steps. I felt the Hilton is a bit isolated from where the action is and the sites.

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 06:34 AM
carol

I wouldn't stay at the airport even if it was free--it's an hour away from the city center--and the real fun of Rome is wandering around, finding wonderful trattorias, sitting in the Piazza Navona or Trastevere in the evening.

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 06:48 AM
Bjorn Alvik

No doubt. <BR>I wouldn't even think about going to Rome withouth staying in the city center. <BR>Hands down. Period. <BR>Bjorn, Oslo

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 07:48 AM
topper

top and joine with Linda's other msg

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 07:50 AM
t

--

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 10:58 AM
angela

while the Rome Hilton is a very nice hotel I would certainly opt to stay closer to the center of the city. Like a previous poster I stayed there before catching a flight home the next am and almost felt as if I'd already arrived back in America when I checked in.

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 11:33 AM
ohoh

I think a week maximum is all you would want to stay at the same place. You could do a daytrip one day to Pompeii, and maybe another to Orvieto. In your other thread you thought of splitting the time between places. You could do a week in London, chunnel across to Paris for a week, then a week in Rome. Do you have to stay those extra three nights at a Hilton property? Maybe the Hilton in Sorrento would be nice for that.