Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Rome - Great Family Restaurant, Teatro Marcello/Piazza Venezia

Aug 14th, 2007, 06:24 PM
Original Poster

Does anyone know a great restaurant very close to Teatro Marcello/Piazza Venezia in Rome that is open in August?

We will be arriving late from a long flight and have a 6yr old...so not looking for anything too formal...just great food before we crash for the night!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!!
Aug 14th, 2007, 08:28 PM
Original Poster

title should have a "?"! (but I don;t know how to change it)
Thanks!
Aug 15th, 2007, 03:00 AM
sjj

My wife and I ate at Gigetto and Al Pompiere last May.
Gigetto is very close to Teatro Marcello, and Al Pompiere is a few blocks away. Gigetto is good. Al Pompiere was even better, but a little formal, and I think you'd be better off at Gigetto.
Aug 15th, 2007, 04:08 AM

I was just at Da Giggetto in June. Not too fancy, great food and service. They have a nice outdoor seating area with a view of the Portica d'Ottavia. Address is Via Portica d'Ottavia 21, no more than a few hundred yards from Teatro Marcello.
Aug 15th, 2007, 04:14 AM

As indicated in the last post, Giggetto, which is on via del Portico Ottavia 21 right next to the Portico d'Ottavia is a good restaurant in the ghetto area. A little farther down the street (toward Via Arenula) is a less formal less expensive restaurant, Al Portico. I know it has pizza but am not sure about Giggetto
Aug 15th, 2007, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

thank you, thank you, thank you! Just what I needed!!!
Aug 15th, 2007, 04:27 PM

Hope you have a great trip. Where exactly are you staying? We rented an apartment right near Piazza mattei in the ghetto area and really loved the area.
The first evening there my husband took a walk before dinner while my son and I were settling in. My husband (who had basically ok'd the rental based on my showing him the location on a map and telling him what the ghetto neighborhood is like) came in to report there were amazing Roman ruins (the Teatro Marcello and Portico d'Ottavia) right around the corner and we had to go see them right away.
Aug 16th, 2007, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks!! (I feel great going armed with a few options now!)

We are actually stying way out at the Sheraton Golf Parco de'Medici (staying two nights with our starwood points) near the airport...it works for us because it's easy to park and get on the road down to our vacation home south in Campania ;-)

Getting Rome in at the beginning of the trip is an added bonus (!)...

needed something in the Teatro Marcello area becasue that is where the Sheraton shuttle busses drop you (and the Hilton ones too)...we arrive around 4pm...then have to get our bags and car and drive over to the hotel...and shower and change and take the shuttle bus into town for dinner...see...it's a tight one - I think the last bus back to the hotel is around 10:45pm...that's why I needed a game plan! didn't want to waste an hour or two wandering around looking for a restaurant or I'd miss out and end up buying stale pannini near the bus stop - has happened before and didn't want a repeat for our first evening in Rome!
Thanks again!!
Aug 16th, 2007, 09:33 AM
sjj

If you have any time after your meal, you might be interest in The Tortoise Fountain in Piazza Mattei, close Da Giggetto.
Aug 16th, 2007, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

sounds perfect will now cross fingers for ontime flight and we will be good to go!
Aug 16th, 2007, 01:21 PM

Rick Steves walking tour of the ghetto including mention at the end of the tortoise fountain which your 6 year old will probably enjoy.
http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/desti...aly/ghetto.htm
Aug 16th, 2007, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great link!
Aug 17th, 2007, 02:49 PM

this may well be overkill, but here is another article on the ghetto neighborhood
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...50C0A96F948260