Rome for 21 hours

Aug 5th, 2016, 12:03 AM
Original Poster
Rome for 21 hours

Hi, I am flying from Johannesburg to Rome to Madrid but am stopping in Rome for 21 hours. It was a very last minute flight booking, and had to get the cheapest ticket.

Firstly, with my Schengen Visa, will i be able to get out of the airport at Rome?

Secondly, we are going to book a hotel for me to sleep at night, but what should i do during the day? and how do i get to the main city from the airport? (i land around 16:30)

Aug 5th, 2016, 04:13 AM
What time does your flight depart Rome?
Aug 5th, 2016, 06:45 AM
If they land at 16:30, i would guess +21hrs means 13:30 the following day.

Not a lot of time but enough to get into Rome for an evening/part of a morning. Yuu take a train directly from FCO into Rome Termini RR station. There are plenty of hotels not too far from the train station.

For a flight to Madrid you'd need to be at the airport & checked in ~no later than 1hr, so you'd want to get a train back to the airport by 11am at the latest. If you are risk averse allow more time.

In the morning you can do a quick walking tour of ancient Rome, walk around the Colosseum. If you are a very early riser, then you could also see other sites in the historic center like the Trevi Fountain. I'd say getting to the Vatican is not going to fit in your schedule.

Search this Thread