Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Rome, Florence, Venice....Where is next in Italy? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/rome-florence-venice-where-is-next-in-italy-503964/)

zbjoon Feb 14th, 2005 11:36 PM

Rome, Florence, Venice....Where is next in Italy?

Hi, I will hopefully have two weeks in May or June and I am trying to decide on a country to visit.

I have been to Rome, Florence, and Venice already. I enjoyed Italy so much that I have always wondered where are the next destinations in Italy? I have often heard of Siciliy, Tuscany, Capri, Naples and Pompei.

I have been checking this forum since last August and was a great help for my last trip. I know I can do a search on Italy but I want to get a condensed version first from some experienced Italy travellers to get on the right track before I hit the bookstores and go through all the posts!

In case it makes any difference in places to visit, I am female and I will be travelling alone this time around to Italy.

Thanks!

Wayne Feb 15th, 2005 04:42 AM

You've not only heard of Tuscany, you've been there if you went to Florence. If you like Italy a lot, and if Tuscany appeals to you, there are many suggestions already made on this board for places to visit. I'll suggest the places in and near Tuscany that I have enjoyed:
Montalcino, Montepulciano, Pienza, San Quirico d'Orcia, Cortona, Pitigliano, Siena, Vicopisano, Poppi, Arezzo, Radicofani, San Gimignano, Volterra, and of course Pisa. You could enter the name of any of these into the Fodors search function and find lots of information. Good luck.

ira Feb 15th, 2005 05:02 AM

Hi zb,

You might like a relaxing week on the Amalfi Coast and another week in Naples with daytrips to Caserta, Mt. Vesuvius, Pompeii, Herculaneum and Paestum.

((I))

LizNYC Feb 15th, 2005 11:59 AM

I would stay in Sorrento (Hotel Mediterraneo is wonderful, right on the Amalfi Coast w/beautiful pool). Sorrento is great, quaint, with great inexpensive shopping. You can take day trips to Positano, Amalfi, Pompeii (use the buses). You might also spend a few days in Capri (vacation spot of ancient Romans, nothing more to say)! Great food in Sorrento and Capri!

WillTravel Feb 15th, 2005 12:06 PM

I've been wondering the same thing too. Italy is a place I really want to visit again, after hitting the "big three" recently. I've been thinking of the following:

in the Veneto - Vicenza, Padua, Ravenna, the outlying Venetian islands
in Umbria - Assisi
in Tuscany - Siena, Pisa, Mantua, Volterra, Fiesole
in Emilia-Romagna - Bologna

Naples, Pompeii, Ostia Antica

Or even of just doing the same exact trip again, because I certainly didn't see everything the first time. (Note I have no date in mind for this trip.) I have a strong history and art and religion focus - what would be your focus?

zbjoon Feb 16th, 2005 09:49 PM

Hi, thank you all for your suggestions. I will start by looking into Amalfi coast and then move on to all the other suggested places.

Wayne, went to both Florence and Pissa and did not realize they are in Tuscany!! Thanks for pointing that out. That is why I don't rush around anymore when travelling.

WillTravel, You are far ahead of me in your knowledge of where to go in Italy. You asked what my focus is? For this trip to Italy, I am looking for a mix of art, architecture, history, beautiful countrysides and scenaries, possibly a sneak peak at the local culture if I can, trying local food and wine, window shopping, etc. all in a leisurely pace.

WillTravel Feb 17th, 2005 05:31 PM

zbjoon, maybe you'd like one of the sort of trips favored on SlowTrav - where you base in one town or city for two weeks or so, and then take daytrips from there. It could certainly be leisurely and you could meet all your other requirements too.

tuscanlifeedit Feb 17th, 2005 05:40 PM

Some great advice above. Certainly southern Tuscany, as suggested, should be on your list. Other places I adore:

The Portofino Promontory in Liguria

Umbria: Assisi, Spello, Perugia and more.

Lake Como, especially the Centro Lago area.

Verona.

Just a few of my favorites.

zbjoon Feb 17th, 2005 07:11 PM

Thank you all again for teh suggestions.

WillTravel - what is SlowTrav? I am interested to know. Actually I am on the move from 10:00 am to midnight when I travel. However, I prefer to see a place thorougly and if I enjoy a scenary or a beautiful monument or art piece have time to stop and look and enjoy. Your suggestion actually is a good one since I will be pressed for time.

WillTravel Feb 17th, 2005 07:40 PM

zbjoon, take a look at SlowTrav.com and the message board SlowTalk.com . The idea is not necessarily that you have to take it easy, but that you stay longer in each location. So the focus tends to be on apartment and villa rentals and long-term trips, but "regular" travel is also discussed.

zbjoon Feb 19th, 2005 08:36 AM

WillTravel, Checked the sites some.
They have an Italy section that I have to dig in more but looks informative. I don't like staying in apt/Villas but they have a lot of other info as well. Thanks.