Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Rome, Florence, Venice - Restaurants (leaving in a few days!) (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/rome-florence-venice-restaurants-leaving-in-a-few-days-125442/)

giddy May 22nd, 2001 06:49 AM

Rome, Florence, Venice - Restaurants (leaving in a few days!)

Getting ready to leave for Italy in a few days (yay!!). I've jotted down some of the restaurants recommended here by Fodorites, but I'd love to hear more from you regarding recommendations on your favorite restaurants in Rome, Florence & Venice. There are 10 of us traveling together (all family), including 2 teens & an 8-year old. Thanks so much!!

marj May 22nd, 2001 08:09 AM

One of my favorites in Rome, which is also great for large groups, is Mario's. It's very inexpensive and unbelievably good. Nothing fancy but great neighborhood dining. We were there on a friday night (in March) with our family. There were many Italian families, few tourists at that time. I was taken there 20 yrs ago by some locals and somehow found it again on our recent vacation. Info is (from the website www.francescatravel.com/rome.htm): Ristorante Mario's Via del Moro,53 Tel 06/580.38.09 A very homey place. The servers make you feel like you're eating at your Italian aunt's. Located in Trastevere, a hotbed of great places to eat and drink. <BR> <BR>The teens will also enjoy just walking around that neighborhood (trastevere), especially in the evening. It's lively with many young people. we also found many good spots in Florence and Venice but i don't recall the names. We usually ask the hotel for recommendations and have had pretty good luck with their suggestions. There so much great food and everything else in Italy. Enjoy! <BR>

richardab May 22nd, 2001 08:40 AM

Have you seen my websight? I have my favorite restaurants in Rome listed there. <BR> <BR>http://home.earthlink.net/~richardab <BR> <BR>I also just returned from Florence. My recommendation for restaurants in Florece is to go with good recommendations from the guidebooks and friends. Some places can be pretty bad. Here is what I found that I liked. All of these serve typical Italian and Tuscan fare. The prices are pretty much moderate, except where noted. <BR> <BR>Baldovino - Via San Giuseppe 22r - good location and great food in a warm atmosphere. There is a menu that changes monthly. Prices slightly above moderate. <BR> <BR>Cantinetta Antinori - Palazzo Antinori, Piazza Antinori 3 at Via Tornabuoni Phone 055-292-234 Web site www.antinori.it. - This is a winemakers restaurant. It is a bit more expensive than moderate but very high quality. You may be familiar with their wines. <BR> <BR>Trattoria da Benvenuto - Via Mosca 16r At the corner of Via dei Neri; walk around the right of the Palazzo Vecchio, under the arch, and it's in front of you after 4 short blocks Phone 055-214-833 - This is my favorite. i ate here twice and got good meals both times. The waiter are very professional. Expect to pay $25 a person for a good meal including house wine, espresso and dessert. <BR> <BR>I have a few more but I don't have their addresses right now. I will leave another post later. <BR> <BR> <BR>

Rex May 22nd, 2001 09:05 AM

Le Volte - - 100-200 yards from the Pantheon. You can get directions from Albergo del Senato (right on Piazza del Rotonda), if you need help finding it. They recommended it to me. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

top May 23rd, 2001 06:13 AM

topping for giddy

Kathy May 23rd, 2001 06:40 AM

Hi, <BR>I have a couple of places I always recommend in Florence. <BR> <BR>The first is Il Cavallino, located at 4 Via Delle Farine. Good food, wonderful service, good prices & a nice location. <BR> <BR>The second is Da Noi, at 46 Via Fiesolana. It's really small (unless they've expanded since my last visit) so you may need to make a reservation. <BR> <BR>Have a great time! <BR>Kathy

Rex Jul 15th, 2001 06:36 PM

to the top... for David (Arbuddies) <BR> <BR>...not for my own info, but for some of the other recommendations offered by others.