Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

ROME-FLORENCE-VENICE-MILAN (Offbeat things to see)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24th, 1999, 09:15 AM
LGH

My wife and I are covering these cities beginning next week. Does anyone know of any out-of-the-way things to see? We'll be doing all the "must-sees," but I'd like to know what isn't in the tour guides.. Also, how difficult is it REALLY to get by on English?

Old Jun 24th, 1999, 09:25 AM
elvira

Milan: Navigation Museum that also houses the daVinci 'machine' museum: he designed all sorts of machines, and someone(s) has gone to the trouble to make models using his plans. Problem is..the descriptions are in Italian (a couple have English versions, but most don't). Still, pretty interesting...

Old Jun 24th, 1999, 09:44 AM
elaine

I was fascinated by the Ghetto area in Venice. <BR>It was the first ghetto, Venice seems to have invented the practice. It is a long walk through the Canareggio section, but that in itself is off the beaten tourist track. Non-touristy area, shops that <BR>Venetians themselves would shop in as opposed to most of the gift shops around San Marco. More affordable items, <BR>masks, and just everyday stuff like drugstores and groceries. As you walk through a low archway over the ghetto bridge you can see the holes in the archway where there was once a gate to lock the people in at night. It is a less prosperous-looking part of Venice, rather stark really. Take a guidebook with you that will explain some of the history and the buildings, wall plaques, etc. <BR>If you take the walk all the way there <BR>you can pass and visit more famous sites/sights like the fish market,several churches, <BR>the Ca d'Oro, etc. <BR>I don't speak Italian, but I did language tapes before I went and so picked up some basic phrases, and my efforts seemed to go a long way. Many people, particularly in the better shops and restaurants will speak English, but not everyone, but I found the people so nice that we all managed.

Old Jun 24th, 1999, 10:00 AM
cheryl

In Florence, visit the Mercato Centrale, the large food market at lunch time. I know this is in the guidebooks, but what isn't in most of them is a small stand inside called "Da Nerbone". This is our favorite lunch in Florence. It will take you a while to find the stand, it's on the first floor, and when you do find it, watch the locals for a while to figure out how to order and pay. Get in the crowd with the mainly laborers who will be waiting for sandwiches, and order their specialty, a boiled beef sandwich with salsa verde and piccante. This tastes so much better than it sounds. They serve other food, but there is one guy who does nothing but serve these sandwiches. The most wonderful sandwiches, and they are only 3500 lire apiece (about $2). Not only a delicious and inexpensive lunch, but you will really feel like a local. I can almost guarantee that you will be the only tourists doing this.

Old Jun 24th, 1999, 11:23 AM
pam

Cheryl: Salsa verde and piccante (sic) in Florence? Really?

Old Jun 24th, 1999, 11:30 AM
cheryl

Pam- <BR> <BR>The salsa verde is a parsley, garlic, and olive oil sauce (I think, that's what it tastes like), sort of like a pesto. The piccante (how is it spelled?) is a thin spicy red pepper sauce. The sandwiches can be quite messy, as the inside of the rolls are first dipped in the beef broth. It really is our favorite lunch in Florence, we wouldn't miss it, even though I always panic before trying to order!

Old Jun 24th, 1999, 12:17 PM
Lindsay

In Rome, an interesting sight is the cript at the Capuchin Monastery (near the top of the Spanish Steps). <BR> <BR>The cript consists of four or five rooms, all decorated with the bones of dead monks. <BR> <BR>It's rather morbid but certainly fascinating.