Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Rome-Florence-Venice (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/rome-florence-venice-583163/)

nmilller1950 Jan 19th, 2006 09:14 AM

Rome-Florence-Venice

Hello--My husband, 13 yr old daughter and I are making our first trip to Italy in late March (a sudden business trip for him, so not much time to plan). We have 8 nights, and are tentativley planning on 4 nights in Rome, 2 or 3 in Florence, and 2 or 3 in Venice--then flying to his business in Paris from Venice. We would like to see the historic places, visit museums,and still have some time to explore the countryside around either Venice or Florence. I'm wondering if we're trying to pack too much in; if we should rent a car and drive from Rome or take a train; and whether the 3 nights are better spent in Florence of Venice (we will probbaly explore teh countryside around whichever city we spend the third night in). Any input is appreciated, as well as any recommendations on small/quaint hotels in these cities.

bardo1 Jan 19th, 2006 09:24 AM

It's too much. Way too much.

Go for either 4 nights in Venice + 4 nights in Florence (including some of the countryside around Florence) ... <b>OR</b> ... 8 nights in Rome with 1 (possibly 2) day trips to nearby areas.

I'll wait on suggesting small (&lt;20 rooms?) hotels until you are sure of where you plan to visit.

suze Jan 19th, 2006 09:30 AM

I think it is way too much also. Don't forget each day you are changing cities is mostly lost.

With only 8 days I would do Venice/Florence or Venice/Rome and travel by train inbetween.

In Venice I really like Pensione La Calcina www.lacalcina.com

suze Jan 19th, 2006 09:31 AM

oh, and fly &quot;open jaw&quot; to avoid backtracking on the ground (i.e., in to Venice and out of Rome or into Rome and out of Venice). plane tickets are usually the same price or not too much more.

Shalott Jan 19th, 2006 10:14 AM

If you want to do this, then I would say

No time for countryside jaunts by car if you want to see the cities worth a darn

As said already, fly into Rome, fly out of Paris, so no backtracking. Very important.

Travel from city to city by train in the evening so you don't waste sightseeing time.

If you want to see some countryside or a smaller town, and if the weather is good, take a daytrip from Rome or from Florence. (But your time is so short in each place, I'm not really recommending this.) Suggestions include Orvieto, San Gimignano, Siena, or, if you want one really long day, Pompeii (from Rome).

There are also one-day bus tours from say, Florence to both Siena and San Gimingnano, or, Florence to some wineries in Chianti, or Rome to Naples and Sorrento. Your time will not be your own, but it's an efficient way to get a glimpse of some additional places, and plan to return in the future.

MFNYC Jan 19th, 2006 10:14 AM

8 nts and 3 cities, doesn't really allow any time to explore the countryside. There's so much to explore in those 3 cities alone.

I gather you already have your flights booked, I'm assuming arriving Rome and leaving Venice. If you are really into art and art history, do 3 florence and 2 venice, if not, do the reverse. Although if you've never been to Rome, I also agree with the 2 city approach, 5 nts rome, 3 venice.

Italy is a very kid-friendly country. Your daughter will love it.

MarcoB Jan 19th, 2006 10:18 AM

Hi,
Use the train travelling between the major cities and rent the car for the day trips.

Spend more time in Florence then in Venice.
If you need more help
visit www.myowntuscany.com

Marco

Leely Jan 19th, 2006 10:24 AM

I guess you could spend 4 nights Rome, 1 night in a hilltown (ideas, Fodorites?) and then 3 nights Venice.

I'd skip Florence. But then I'm not totally in love with Florence.