Rome, Florence/Tuscany & Venice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13th, 2022, 09:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husand and I are travelling in December to Rome, Florence/Tuscany and Venice for 2 weeks in the beginning of December. Should we fly in and out of Rome? One flight offers a 1 hour and 8 minute layover in Toronto before catching our flight to Rome. That seems tight to me ... thoughts would be greatly appreciated. We are flying from Vancouver and on mulit-city flights, there seems to be 2+ stops. Rome return offers just 1. I have seen some posts about taking the train back from Venice back to Rome the day before. Our first adventure to Italy. Thank you so much! All advice is appreciated.

Old Sep 13th, 2022, 09:13 PM

If you only have 14 days then fly into one city and out the other. Backtracking to Rome wastes one of your valuable days.
Old Sep 14th, 2022, 02:38 AM
J62

There are numerous one stop options from either Florence or Venice to Vancouver. The best connection would be through either Munich, Frankfurt, or Paris.

Instead of a multi-city itinerary, use the one-way search feature to find options. I like to use google flights to explore options, then go directly to the airline website to buy.

Many of those return flights connecting through a European hub would depart very early morning. That would be much easier to do from Florence as the airport is tiny, and a quick 15min door to door taxi from anywhere in the city. Getting to Venice airport at that early hour would be more challenging. There is a 1pm departure from Venice on AirCanada to Montreal that would work well for timing.

Look also at other nearby airports that are larger than Florence, including Pisa or Bologna, or even Milan. If you find a better flight or price you could stay one of those places for the last night. The benefit of Milan (2hr train from Florence) is that you can get an afternoon flight from Milan to North America, then connect onwards to Vancouver. Pisa also has mid morning departures
Old Sep 14th, 2022, 12:38 PM

I wouldn't recommend starting your trip in Florence. You would have to do some backtracking to visit both Rome and Venice from there

I would start by flying into Venice, proceeding to Florence from there, and the continuing to Rome, and flying home from Rome.

​​​​