Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Rome/Florence/Cinque Terre in late Oct? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/rome-florence-cinque-terre-in-late-oct-1009955/)

Hodie Mar 29th, 2014 05:07 PM

Rome/Florence/Cinque Terre in late Oct?

In very very preliminary stages of planning trip to Rome for sure in Oct. using miles. I have the choice of going Oct. 11-18 or Oct.18-25. I would prefer to go earlier than later, but the times are better for the later. So I have two questions:

1) Is the weather really going to be that different in just one week (realizing no one can predict the weather). I just keep reading so many posts about how nice it is early Oct. and iffy in late Oct.
2) Should I try to do Cinque Terre as well, or is the weather just too unpredictable in Oct. to enjoy it if it's rainy the whole time we're there (which is another thing I have read).

Thank you!

bobthenavigator Mar 29th, 2014 05:56 PM

I would go as early as you can to avoid tempting fate.
With only a week, two destinations is plenty.

bvlenci Mar 30th, 2014 02:03 AM

I wouldn't count on the Cinque Terre at any time in October. It's very unpredictable, as it is in most parts of the temperate climate zones. Anyway, as Bob says, one week is hardly sufficient for Rome and Florence. It takes a long time to get to the Cinque Terre and another long time to get back, so two of your days would be shot right there.

Does your one week include travel time from wherever you live? If so, you really only have five full days in Italy, and I would just spend them in Rome, perhaps taking a day trip to Florence.

annhig Mar 30th, 2014 04:06 AM

in one week, i think I would stay in Rome and do Florence as a day trip, or possibly an overnight.

assuming you are flying into and out of Rome, if you decide to stay in Florence, go there first and then back to Rome so as not to split up your time in Rome.

IMO you do't have time to do the CT as well.

sandralist Mar 30th, 2014 05:10 AM

Typically the weather along the Italian Riviera deteriorates after the 3rd week in October, so if you can go earlier, much better. No absolute guarantees, but that is the typical pattern. For the first 3 weeks of October the weather is generally dry and pleasant most days.

I think you should what to you want to do on your visit to Italy as your priorities. Don't travel by other people's formulas. Figure out what you might personally like to do in each destination and strategize from there. Obviously people are right to share with you how they like to travel but I wouldn't enjoy a daytrip to Florence from Rome. Nor would I enjoy visiting le Cinque Terre for only a day from Florence. If you don't mind switching hotels it is often best to spend a night in places rather than commute to them given the way Italy operates (and the cost of high speed trains).

But if you have a problem switching hotels then you shouldn't. And you shouldn't be afraid to move around more than others would if there are only a handful of things you want to do and see in each place.

Calabria62 Mar 30th, 2014 06:00 AM

I'd spend the week in Rome, and if you wish, take a day trip from there. Earlier, rather than later. You can easily take day trips from Rome, if you wish to. Ostia Antica, Bracciano, or others for example. You can always return to Italy to explore others areas.

As you mentioned, no one can really predict the weather, but we once spent a week in October in Florence, and it rained the entire time. Another time, we chose May in Rome, thinking it would be perfect, and it was unusually hot(high 80's)so you'll just have to pick one week and go with the flow!

asps Mar 30th, 2014 06:03 AM

Often the summer turns into autumn suddenly. Say, a day the temperature drops, it begins raining and the summer is over. It may happen as early as September 20th (I remember seeing snow on mountains already on September 16th a few years ago) or may be as late as October 20th. The later you go, the higher the probablity of getting bad weather. This won't probably be a problem in Rome, that has a good climate; and anyway in cities you can always find indoor activities. If you end in a tiny place by the sea on a bad day, you will have absolutely nothing to do but sipping coffee. Considered your limited time window, skipping the Cinque Terre is sensible advice.

bettyloo Mar 30th, 2014 06:37 AM

I went to Florence for the last week of October and the first week of November a few years ago and it was absolutly beautiful. We went to CT as a day trip (I enjoyed the drive there from Pistoia our home base near Florence) and loved it. Hardly anyone else there and we lucked out with decent weather. It was the beginning, I think anyway, of the olive harvest and so the olive groves were alive with activity everywhere we went. I loved Tuscany at this time of year. Obviously as has been said you can't predict the weather, but when we were there we had 3 days of rain (out of 2 weeks) and pleasant temps. I agree with sandralist do what you want and go where you want, it's your trip. You should be aware of the limitations/possibility of bad weather this time of year, but you should see what you want to see.

mamcalice Mar 30th, 2014 06:46 AM

Considering the amount of time you have, I would stick with Rome and Florence. Your chances of good weather in mid October are best there. We have been to CT in mid-September and the weather was nice for one of our days, iffy for one and dreadful for the third. In fact we left early as we had already hiked to each of the towns. Unless you can hike or the ferries are running, there isn't a lot to do.

Florence and Rome are so full of things to do and see that you can barely scratch the surface in the amount of time you will have.

Hodie Mar 30th, 2014 06:56 AM

Thank you everyone for the input, I appreciate the honest opinions. The background for my hesitance is that I was told Rome is "crowded and full of tourists and you will get overwhelmed after three days" BUT I'm also trying to make this trip somewhat relaxing and easy going since my boyfriend will be accompanying me and it's his first trip to Europe (his favorite trip so far has been an all in-inclusive beach resort). Which is why I thought to stay in one or two cities. On the other hand, I do want to get a flavor of the countryside though too, hence Florence or CT. On my last trip to France I loved Paris, but I really loved Nice and the French Riviera. Lots to think about, and more come, thank you!

bvlenci Mar 30th, 2014 08:31 AM

Florence wouldn't give you a flavor of the countryside. At that time of year, it's even more crowded with tourists than Rome.

If you want a little flavor of the countryside, I suggest you stay in Rome, and maybe make a side trip to the Castelli Romani area (a region of hills and lakes south of Rome). Or possibly to Assisi, or Lake Bracciano, all of which are easily reached from Rome.

I can't help thinking that your boyfriend would love Sardegna, but that would be a different holiday.

annhig Mar 30th, 2014 08:52 AM

As you mentioned, no one can really predict the weather, but we once spent a week in October in Florence, and it rained the entire time>>

like betty, we spent a week in Florence at the end of October and it was warm enough even in the evening to eat outside. so no-one can predict to that level of accuracy what the weather is going to be like at any particular time.

btw, where do you fly into and out of? That may influence what you can do and how best to spend your time.

bvlenci Mar 30th, 2014 08:54 AM

The Cinque Terre is too out of the way to be a good day trip destination, especially starting from Florence, with three or more hours on the train in each direction, on at least two trains, sometimes three or four.

On the other hand, if you spend a night or two, you have to reserve a room. Then, if it's pouring rain, you'd be stuck with that reservation.

I've been to the Cinque Terre twice, both times on day trips, but from nearby towns. Once was a rainy day in October, and I was astonished at the number of tourists there at that time of year. I remember that from the boat that goes from town to town, the tourists walking along the Via dell'Amore looked like a procession or parade of some sort. (The Via dell'Amore and most of the other low trails are now closed because of the risk of landslides.)

The area was beautiful, but the crowds of tourists, and the touristy shops, rather spoiled it for me. If I were to go back, which is unlikely, I would want to stay at least two nights and spend a full day hiking on the high trails, which are about the only ones open now. However, there are so many other beautiful places to hike in Italy, far away from the high-priced tourist hubbub.

Hodie Mar 30th, 2014 09:41 AM

bvlenci I'm intrigued by your suggestions of Sardegna. While I will definitely look into more myself could you expand a little on why you suggested? Would you suggest for Oct. or are you saying another trip because of the month? No flights have been booked yet, I just thought Rome because the weather looked ok and it seemed a good place to start.

bvlenci Mar 31st, 2014 12:39 AM

Well, as I said, there are no guarantees in October. The weather could be nasty anywhere. However, if you're willing to rent a car, you could spend a whole week there, staying near the sea but taking trips to the beautiful villages in the interior, or to the prehistoric nuraghi (ancient fortifications). It probably wouldn't be beach weather, unless you're Scandinavian, but it would still be beautiful near the sea.

There are connecting flights to Olbia from Rome, and probably to other cities. I once accompanied my husband to Sardegna, flying into Olbia, in the off season. While he was busy with his client, I toured around by train. However, I really regretted not having a car, as the train routes were limited. On another occasion, we spent a week between Sardegna and Corsica with a group from our local ski club (not skiing, of course!)